The 2020 JUB JUB MEMORIAL Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When you've got guys who bolt on doors earning over $50per hour you know it's wrong
I remember reading an article just after the announcement of Holden ending manufacturing, they spoke to a factory worker and he himself said they were way overpaid for what they did.

Crazy close top 10 shootout, .1 over the top 5.

I remember reading an article just after the announcement of Holden ending manufacturing, they spoke to a factory worker and he himself said they were way overpaid for what they did.

Crazy close top 10 shootout, .1 over the top 5.
Insane top 10, and I think 4 different teams in the top 5. Even the guys 11-16 aren't far away.

As for those workers, my uncle was one and when you consider they're paid more than nurses, teachers and a number of other health professionals it sucks.

Reading Lebbo's point in page 5, about TCR cars being unattractive because they're slower than supercars? "Crawling around the track".

This is a point often used on other forums from people inherently disinterested in TCR or similar cars racing. I don't buy it.

It's made out as though supercars are the pinnacle of performance of which alternative cars are judged, when in fact they're medium range. TCR cars supposedly crawling around the track as if you're watching the tail end stragglers of a HQ race.

TCR are averaging 6-8 seconds slower on the track. You can tell when you're at the track they're a bit slower, but only if you're concentrating and looking for the differences. Typically, there are sections on tracks where TCCR are quicker, but that doesn't mean much when you're inherently disinterested in the first place.

Another reason why I don't buy it. If supercars overnight where tuned down to go as quick as a TCR car overnight (Or even slower), it wouldn't prevent them from enjoying supercars. They would then make up some other reason.

Reading Lebbo's point in page 5, about TCR cars being unattractive because they're slower than supercars? "Crawling around the track".

This is a point often used on other forums from people inherently disinterested in TCR or similar cars racing. I don't buy it.

It's made out as though supercars are the pinnacle of performance of which alternative cars are judged, when in fact they're medium range. TCR cars supposedly crawling around the track as if you're watching the tail end stragglers of a HQ race.

TCR are averaging 6-8 seconds slower on the track. You can tell when you're at the track they're a bit slower, but only if you're concentrating and looking for the differences. Typically, there are sections on tracks where TCCR are quicker, but that doesn't mean much when you're inherently disinterested in the first place.

Another reason why I don't buy it. If supercars overnight where tuned down to go as quick as a TCR car overnight (Or even slower), it wouldn't prevent them from enjoying supercars. They would then make up some other reason.
Absolutely, that said I'd prefer that TCR didn't become top level here. The paddock atmosphere is great and far more relaxed. Everyone's happy to chat and let you come into the garages.

Just change the series to GT3 specs and get on with it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk
GT3 transfers the "supercars industry" away from the current stronghold and vested interest of the series.
Missing the point. Does relevancy matter? Sure, but it's not the be all and end all, otherwise open-wheelers wouldn't exist. Excitement is just as much of a cause for people to take interest. Furthermore, every audience is different - what works in Europe won't necessarily work in Australia or America in attracting the same level of interest, because each country has different traditions of motor racing.
Does relevancy matter? Yes! Relevancy and egalitarianism are the key factors in the popularity of domestic motorsport. What works in Australia might not work in other countries from the branding pov, but how it's get there is the same.

The evidence of the correlation between the popularity of domestic motorsport in whichever country, and the cars they're buying, is strong. Motorsport at the highest level in each country is the opportunity for the motoring industry to show their wares.

Openwheeler are different because they're a "prototype" class. They're fundamentally a genuine arms race. It's is appropriate and relevant in F1 because F1 is the World Championship. That contributes to why openwheelers aren't the premier class in domestic motorsport. Indycars has effectively been a "American F1", but also has revolved around the Indy 500.

I'd say our tradition is more about the style of car and how fast it goes, as Lebbo indicates in his lack of interest in TCR. I doubt he is alone in that regard.
Australia's "tradition" has centred around Bathurst. It's not about the style of car from a superficial pov, but for the motoring/motorsport industry to congregate.

Lebbo and others have a lack of interest in TCR, because they're slow? They'll be going as fast around Bathurst as what supercars did 20 years ago. Lebbo 20 years ago wasn't going "Supercars are s**t, they're so slow around Bathurst". Him, or fans like him, weren't looking at the cars doing 2:20s in the early 80s and going "5 litre Ford and Holdens are s**t."

Not just that, but fans like him and those who share his opinion are lucky super tourers weren't allowed to race against V8s back then. The 1999 & 2000 BTCC winning Nissan Primera and Ford Mondeo are serious racing cars, and would've been contenders for pole. The Mondeo probably would've even got it. Not that it impresses supercars fans.

Ford v Holden rivalry has contributed to the history of Bathurst and Australian motorsport. But Bathurst and Australian motorsport has been hijacked by supercars, Ford v Holden rivalry, and to it's detriment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't tell too much about parity today, the Holdens have always been quick in Adelaide.

Surely you don’t believe that bs you wrote in the final paragraph?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back