News The 2020. Let's get (vicariously) jacked! The Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was referring to the poor kicking skills and poor kicking skills alone.
Obviously as a whole they are incomparable.

not sure you can compare that either , Sure Boyd could be a bit hit and miss under pressure when playing as a mid , but I would never describe him as a poor kick .
give me Boyd in hand over Jong every day of the week.

I sent a text message to a Bulldogs supporter asking, "Is there a player or two who you feel was a regular in our lineup last year who you feel may struggle to maintain a regular spot in 2020?"

I was expecting this supporter to reply with "a player or two". Instead the reply was:

"Yes for sure. Daniel, Trengove, Cordy, Lloyd, possibly JJ, Lipinski, Schache, Suckling, McLean."

I was stunned.

I sent a text message to a Bulldogs supporter asking, "Is there a player or two who you feel was a regular in our lineup last year who you feel may struggle to maintain a regular spot in 2020?"

I was expecting this supporter to reply with "a player or two". Instead the reply was:

"Yes for sure. Daniel, Trengove, Cordy, Lloyd, possibly JJ, Lipinski, Schache, Suckling, McLean."

I was stunned.
They're not wrong on most of those tbh.

• We played better without Daniel in defence, so it's unclear what his role is going to be in future.
  • Trengove got dropped for Young at the end of last year. He will likely be overtaken.
  • Keath coming in puts Cordy's spot at risk, although I doubt BOTH Trengove and Cordy would lose their spots. One or the other.
  • Lloyd could lose his spot if Gowers gets his s**t together, which is a big IF. Having Dale come in has threatened his spot, although I still expect Lloyd to play close to 22 games as he's one of our most reliable forwards. There'd need to be some huge form improvements from multiple players for Lloyd to be falling out of the 22
  • JJ shouldn't really be at risk. One of the first picked I would've thought. Vandermeer may eventually take his spot once he slows down, but wouldn't expect it anytime soon
  • Lipinski absolutely forced us to pick him. He shouldn't be losing his spot
  • Schache shouldn't be at risk. Bruce coming in will help him as a player if anything. If he loses his spot, it's because of his own form, and not because of being forced out by Bruce
  • Suckling is vital to our backline as basically a quarterback. He gets picked every week that he's fit
  • McLean I can see. With Lipinski now in the side, and when Libba and Wallis are both fully fit, it puts a huge squeeze on spots. West will be forcing his way in soon too.

So really the only ones I'd 100% disagree with are JJ and Suckling. Then guys like Lloyd and Lipinski really shouldn't be at much risk

Isn't the GOTY by popular vote? We're never going to win any of those due to sheer numbers :mad:

The Rising Star is decided by dumbasses :)
I'm 100% convinced that Bont's goal is close to the greatest of all time. Rarely have I seen a better goal that wasn't just sheer luck.

GOTY and MOTY are sham awards that regularly go to the more popular player/team rather than the actual deserving player. Remember when Daniher won Mark of the Year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're not wrong on most of those tbh.

• We played better without Daniel in defence, so it's unclear what his role is going to be in future.
  • Trengove got dropped for Young at the end of last year. He will likely be overtaken.
  • Keath coming in puts Cordy's spot at risk, although I doubt BOTH Trengove and Cordy would lose their spots. One or the other.
  • Lloyd could lose his spot if Gowers gets his s**t together, which is a big IF. Having Dale come in has threatened his spot, although I still expect Lloyd to play close to 22 games as he's one of our most reliable forwards. There'd need to be some huge form improvements from multiple players for Lloyd to be falling out of the 22
  • JJ shouldn't really be at risk. One of the first picked I would've thought. Vandermeer may eventually take his spot once he slows down, but wouldn't expect it anytime soon
  • Lipinski absolutely forced us to pick him. He shouldn't be losing his spot
  • Schache shouldn't be at risk. Bruce coming in will help him as a player if anything. If he loses his spot, it's because of his own form, and not because of being forced out by Bruce
  • Suckling is vital to our backline as basically a quarterback. He gets picked every week that he's fit
  • McLean I can see. With Lipinski now in the side, and when Libba and Wallis are both fully fit, it puts a huge squeeze on spots. West will be forcing his way in soon too.

So really the only ones I'd 100% disagree with are JJ and Suckling. Then guys like Lloyd and Lipinski really shouldn't be at much risk
I have no issue with Trengove not being a regular - I agree with that.

My issue is that this supporter feels that none of them will be regulars.

I have no issue with Trengove not being a regular - I agree with that.

My issue is that this supporter feels that none of them will be regulars.
Yeah can't agree with none of them being regulars - I'd imagine maybe 2 or 3 at most from that list will no longer be regulars, as I feel our depth has come a long way, but it's not THAT deep that we'd drop such a huge amount of quality in one season. Pushing out guys like Lipinski, McLean, Schache, Daniel and Cordy would be especially concerning since they're all approaching the age where they'd be hoping to solidify their spots for years to come. If any of those guys can't get a consistent spot in our side this year, they need to be put on the trade table. I'd hope it wouldn't actually come to that though

I think it is fantastic, just shows how good our depth has become
Yeah, nah. Nothing to do with our depth. More to do with I feel JJ would be in the first five picked. Daniel would be in the first ten picked. Suckling and McLean should be in the first 12-18 picked.

I have no issue with players improving, but to say it would be fantastic to be at the expense of those four players, I can't agree. This would mean those four players go backwards. Not healthy at all. The players who replace them would have to go above and beyond and at least match what these four players managed in seasons past for this to be "fantastic".

Yeah, nah. Nothing to do with our depth. More to do with I feel JJ would be in the first five picked. Daniel would be in the first ten picked. Suckling and McLean should be in the first 12-18 picked.

I have no issue with players improving, but to say it would be fantastic to be at the expense of those four players, I can't agree. This would mean those four players go backwards. Not healthy at all. The players who replace them would have to go above and beyond and at least match what these four players managed in seasons past for this to be "fantastic".
Not exactly the players I meant .
However for team balance those are all guys who could miss other then JJ. Daniel may be left out on weeks we vs taller teams
McLean didn't set the world on fire last year and without a return to form could be in and out of the team.
Dickson will miss weeks possibly due to injury, being rested or just being over taken.
Suckling will get games and have a few good ones but think his position will change each week depending on injury or opposition.
Gowers had a shocker last year but the year before was our only threat up forward- he will hopefully recapture that form.
Also have wallis and libba who are walk up start when on.
La.young also looks like he is going to burst

The guys I see as in and out of the team would be Daniel (position), Dickson (body), lipinski ( wallis/libba), trengove (le.young developing), mclean(wallis, more natural fwd) also think a few players will get rotated on the other wing.

I feel that with the current rate of improvement from the younger guys, we may see Bont himself struggle to get a game next year. Our depth really is that good.
You really can't deny the problem that exists, where we have an abundance of accumulators, yet a distinct lack of speed running through the midfield. I can definitely see Bont's spot being at risk if he doesn't address his lack of foot speed, with someone much quicker like Lin Jong coming in to replace him. Will give our midfield that dynamic edge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back