News The 2020. Let's get (vicariously) jacked! The Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 811984
Garcia - injured and when I spoke to him said the club was taking their time to make sure he got right. Seems a really nice kid, happy to chat to a fan and eager to get out there.

View attachment 811985
JJ - a couple of blistering runs but played within himself. A worry with a bad knee knock in the 2nd quarter that we all prayed wasn’t an ACL but after several minutes got up and played out the game... might have been sore though as didn’t have much of it afterwards.

View attachment 811986
Lachie Young - lock for the back half. Took most of the blues kick ins and, when they were under siege early stopped quite a few goals. I think he’s jumped Lewis Young and might keep Trengove out of the back half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great to hear the positive review of Lach Youngs game, I rate very highly.
How’d he look physically? Was pretty slight last year, he’d need to put on a bit of size to push for a best 22 spot imo.

Great to hear the positive review of Lach Youngs game, I rate very highly.
How’d he look physically? Was pretty slight last year, he’d need to put on a bit of size to push for a best 22 spot imo.

I’d say he’s bulked up. Stood up well in physical contests. I personally think he’s a lock in the back half - Cordy must be nervous.

I’d say he’s bulked up. Stood up well in physical contests. I personally think he’s a lock in the back half - Cordy must be nervous.

Young’s a more well rounded player than Cordy so if he is building/built the physical side of his defensive game then that’s very positive.
I think both he and Cordy can exist in the same defensive half (most likely down the track) but if he were to come in this season, it would make selection night very interesting.

That’s it for all my photos and comments, hope they add some context to our preseason! Enjoy!

Well done DogDays - you delivered again and I'm sure all on here will join me in thanking you for the great pics and commentary.

It's still very encouraging reading this about some of the non-22 players from last year. Jong, Hayes, Porter, etc all doing well just means that, if anything, our depth is improving. Even if they don't make the main squad, knowing that they might be close to AFL standard makes me feel much better in the event of any injuries.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Hayes starts round 1 on the wing opposite Hunter though. Appears that Bevo is a big fan

Fully fit list and Porter Jong and Hayes aren’t getting a gig no matter what their January form is like.

It’s great for depth but these blokes aren’t best 22 no matter how much some hope they will be.

Our Best 22 can take it up to the Best but unlike many in here I think our depth isn’t up to it( far too young imo)when the whips are cracking so fingers crossed we have some luck with injury.

Last edited:
Fully fit list and Porter Jong and Hayes aren’t getting a gig no matter what their January form is like.

It’s great for depth but these blokes aren’t best 22 no matter how much some hope they will be.

Our Best 22 can take it up to the Best but unlike many in here I think our depth isn’t up to it( far many too young imo)when the whips are cracking so fingers crossed we have some luck with injury.

I think Hayes is in with a chance. I don't believe he's in our 22 best players but he just might be one of the better winger options we have right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hayes is in with a chance. I don't believe he's in our 22 best players but he just might be one of the better winger options we have right now.

Far better options than Hayes available with the list we have now

Apart from Hunter, Smith JJ McRae Suckling Daniel Lipinski or even Schache as Change up

Hayes was improving every week he was really important with his defensive running when we went on a run last year. Be really interesting to see how Richards goes this year I think he has fallen behind the pecking order of some players based on form however his pace is so vital so our game plan. Really need a big year from him if we want to be at the pointy end of the table

Hayes was improving every week he was really important with his defensive running when we went on a run last year. Be really interesting to see how Richards goes this year I think he has fallen behind the pecking order of some players based on form however his pace is so vital so our game plan. Really need a big year from him if we want to be at the pointy end of the table

Still think he is a fair bit behind Richards. Skills, pace and smarts below Ed. Most players had a poor Elimination final but his was the worse from my Birdseye view on the wing. I paid close attention to him. Hoping Ed plays more on the wing, but he needs 20 possessions plus a game instead of 12 or 13. He has huge upside and is so important to our game plan as you said. Just needs to find the ball more and take the game on. We need to persever.

Still think he is a fair bit behind Richards. Skills, pace and smarts below Ed. Most players had a poor Elimination final but his was the worse from my Birdseye view on the wing. I paid close attention to him. Hoping Ed plays more on the wing, but he needs 20 possessions plus a game instead of 12 or 13. He has huge upside and is so important to our game plan as you said. Just needs to find the ball more and take the game on. We need to persever.

I've got no doubt that Richards will be the player we need him to be. Whether it happens this year is another story though.

I agree with everything you say apart from smarts. How many times were we putting our hands over our faces last year from a Richards mistake... Not saying he is a bad player but he stood out with a few noticeable plays last year that probably cost a few early games (GC). Totally agree he is worth persevering with but he needs to start trending upwards this year and making some improvements from last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back