News The 2020. Let's get (vicariously) jacked! The Pre-season training thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't think of a better combination of deadeye kicks in the AFL than Jong and Hunter
Brilliant strategy! If the guys kicking the ball have no idea where it's going to go then the defense will certainly be baffled. All Naughton needs to do is read and react to the ball off the boot, cover whatever ground is necessary and take the mark. Goal!

Brilliant strategy! If the guys kicking the ball have no idea where it's going to go then the defense will certainly be baffled. All Naughton needs to do is read and react to the ball off the boot, cover whatever ground is necessary and take the mark. Goal!
With Bruce naughton and dale in the forward line surely it'd be close enough for one of them to run on to

Fully fit list and Porter Jong and Hayes aren’t getting a gig no matter what their January form is like.

It’s great for depth but these blokes aren’t best 22 no matter how much some hope they will be.

Our Best 22 can take it up to the Best but unlike many in here I think our depth isn’t up to it( far too young imo)when the whips are cracking so fingers crossed we have some luck with injury.

I agree with you on Hayes! I actually like the kid but he seems to just lack something when the chips are down. Goes well when we are winning but who doesn't! I think he's one of these guys that finds the ball easily enough and stats wise looks great but unfortunately isn't damaging with his possessions. We already have a few like that RE: Hunter.

With Bruce naughton and dale in the forward line surely it'd be close enough for one of them to run on to

We could follow the advice of those old blokes in the outer : "Just kick it bloody long will ya, stop messing around with it!"

Sound coaching advice, if you're living in 1982

We could follow the advice of those old blokes in the outer : "Just kick it bloody long will ya, stop messing around with it!"

Sound coaching advice, if you're living in 1982
As one of those 'older blokes' in the outer, I've been known to call out for a long kick to get the ball deep into the forward line, but in the past we've never had any tall marking options to make it work. Now that we have a few of those perhaps the tactic might not be so obsolete. Many times over the past few seasons we have played short with multiple handballs and short passes which often resulted in turnovers as the ball entered the forward area. This can sometimes cause frustration to 'old blokes' who harken back to the days of one on one contests, a scenario which has become rare in this modern age.
I hear that the emphasis this pre-season is on quick, slick ball movement with kicks to both leading and 'stay at home' forwards. It will be very interesting to see how the ball is delivered to maximise shots on goal.

Just yanking your mullet DognBones ,I feel the same way. Unfortunately some of our mids have no vision & can't kick over a fencepost at five paces. The Bont would be amazing in any team but his long, low bullet delivery really stands out in our midfield.

On the other hand, teams with high defenders who defend the zones can easily pick off errant long kicks. It's a tactical game these days and I prefer the 'men of mayhem' move it forward at all angles approach.

On the other hand, teams with high defenders who defend the zones can easily pick off errant long kicks. It's a tactical game these days and I prefer the 'men of mayhem' move it forward at all angles approach.
Not sure if this is the normal set up for North, but I reckon this is what killed us in that game this year, and a big reason why it was so close in 2018 too. Their talls (especially Majak in 2018) absolutely killed us by intercepting every long bomb we attempted. Same with Gold Coast this year, and it's happened against GWS a lot too. The tall interceptors seem to murder our defence. Completely agree on preferring the 'men of mayhem' approach

G’day guys what are you expecting from Bailey Smith this season ?
This guy looks like he can be the complete package for a mid.

Good things. He's great on the inside and has good winger traits too, he can swing forward, his speed and endurance are great, he knows how to kick a footy, and he's got real guts. I think we've all got high hopes for him.

Good things. He's great on the inside and has good winger traits too, he can swing forward, his speed and endurance are great, he knows how to kick a footy, and he's got real guts. I think we've all got high hopes for him.

Got a bit of campaigner in him, too.

Downside, I don't think Ive seen him take a contested mark. Perhaps over head marking is not s strong point.

Him, Bont and Naughton would easily be the top 3 most important players on our list in my opinion. He's obviously not in our top 3 players right now, but he showed so much last year despite battling with an Achilles injury and missing basically all of preseason. This kid is going to be something special - has massive burst speed, beautiful kicking skills and has a lot of campaigner in him (was getting stuck into guys like Selwood last year as an 18 year old)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him, Bont and Naughton would easily be the top 3 most important players on our list in my opinion. He's obviously not in our top 3 players right now, but he showed so much last year despite battling with an Achilles injury and missing basically all of preseason. This kid is going to be something special - has massive burst speed, beautiful kicking skills and has a lot of campaigner in him (was getting stuck into guys like Selwood last year as an 18 year old)
No way I could make a list about most important players and have him ahead of Timmy English.

Some news for interested people :
Libba a new dad as of Sunday, private life going really well at the moment and his football life is a little messy at the moment as his knee is only coming along slowly and will lift training football wise in a couple of weeks. Will need modified training for quite a while!
For all you Vanda fans out there - he has a badly torn hamstring and be another 4 weeks at least before he steps it up! Some of the coaching staff rate him veryhighly!! He did it before the camp.
CoryW has been impressive so far but as my source has told me that he is EXTREMELY confident in his own abilities!
And finally people should realise that the Greene job on the Bont was a got up job by the AFL . As GWS met with the AFL the Sunday morning after the game to fix the penalty for Greene - fine and apology!!! Our club was told by the scribes on the Monday morning that everything had been decided! Club did complain but were told to suck it up! Most of you guys would not be surprised by this anyway.

Libba a new dad as of Sunday, private life going really well at the moment and his football life is a little messy at the moment as his knee is only coming along slowly and will lift training football wise in a couple of weeks. Will need modified training for quite a while!
For all you Vanda fans out there - he has a badly torn hamstring and be another 4 weeks at least before he steps it up! Some of the coaching staff rate him veryhighly!! He did it before the camp.
CoryW has been impressive so far but as my source has told me that he is EXTREMELY confident in his own abilities!
And finally people should realise that the Greene job on the Bont was a got up job by the AFL . As GWS met with the AFL the Sunday morning after the game to fix the penalty for Greene - fine and apology!!! Our club was told by the scribes on the Monday morning that everything had been decided! Club did complain but were told to suck it up! Most of you guys would not be surprised by this anyway.
Sucks to hear about Vandermeer :( glad to hear how highly rated he is though.

The Greene thing is no ******* surprise at all. The whole situation stunk, it was pretty damn clear that if the same thing was done by a random Geelong/Freo player they would've been banned for 4+ weeks

Here's hoping for a quick recovery from Vandermeer, I'm excited to see him out on a wing. Weightman, West, and Vandermeer could all end up with Rising Star nominations and I'm excited to see who gets one first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back