List Mgmt. The 2020 Trade and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets be real , who is Weideman supposed to learn from ? T-mac is f’ed , Fritsch is a flanker masquerading as a forward . The kid has No one to learn from.
Line him up to other key forwards , he is as skinny as fu** . If our mids decide he is No 1 forward , they might decide to kick to his advantage , haha maybe.
Weideman is 23 years old, he’s just finished 5th year in the AFL system. He’s still young but an 18 year old Jackson is what I would call a kid. Weideman at this stage should have enough knowledg that he does not need a mentor, it’s now up to him.

And what’s going on with Viney? I hope all of this conjecture is just standard price hiking by his manager because if we can’t sign this bloke up on a solid long term deal yet are prepared to give a five year contract to a genuinely ordinary footballer like Harmes, then we deserve to remain where we are.

And what’s going on with Viney? I hope all of this conjecture is just standard price hiking by his manager because if we can’t sign this bloke up on a solid long term deal yet are prepared to give a five year contract to a genuinely ordinary footballer like Harmes, then we deserve to remain where we are.
Viney isn’t that much better than Harmes yet would command double the cash, hard to compare deals

These moves might not be popular with everyone but these are the trades I would make this off season with trying to consider fair deals for both clubs. I believe our list is in a premiership window right now and with Gawn and May only having a few years left of their prime we need to target proven experienced players that will help us win it next year, otherwise the window will be wasted. Biggest problem is our bottom 6 players of the best 22, we can't carry 4-6 spuds every week, the depth of the 22 needs to be improved.

Preuss to geelong for pick 34

Sparrow and pick 34 to Adelaide for pick 20

Viney leaves in free agency for pick 19 (end of first compensation pick)

Adam Saad and pick 42 to Melbourne for pick 20, Tom MacDonald, and pick 63

Jack Gunston to Melbourne for pick 19

Jared Polec and 2021 3rd round pick to Melbourne for pick 23

2021 Best 22:

B: Hibberd, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Saad

C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Polec

HF: Fritsch, Gunston, Petracca

F: Pickett, Weideman, Spargo

R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I: Jackson, Salem (to play inside and outside midfield), half forward (hunt, melksham, hannan, bennell?), small defender (lockhart, jetta, draft pick?)

In my opinion we don't lose any best 22 players and we gain 3. Saad allows Salem to push up the ground to give us a classy player around stoppages and on a wing. Gunston takes the best defender off Weideman, he will complement him by pushing up the ground and Weid staying close to goal and will allow Fritsch to roam half forward. Polec plays the opposite wing to langdon to provide more pace and ball use. Jackson plays 3rd tall forward, allow Max to go forward when giving him a chop out, and will get more minutes playing on-ball to give us a different look. Viney leaving allows Brayshaw and Harmes to play their natural roles on-ball.

These moves might not be popular with everyone but these are the trades I would make this off season with trying to consider fair deals for both clubs. I believe our list is in a premiership window right now and with Gawn and May only having a few years left of their prime we need to target proven experienced players that will help us win it next year, otherwise the window will be wasted. Biggest problem is our bottom 6 players of the best 22, we can't carry 4-6 spuds every week, the depth of the 22 needs to be improved.

Preuss to geelong for pick 34

Sparrow and pick 34 to Adelaide for pick 20

Viney leaves in free agency for pick 19 (end of first compensation pick)

Adam Saad and pick 42 to Melbourne for pick 20, Tom MacDonald, and pick 63

Jack Gunston to Melbourne for pick 19

Jared Polec and 2021 3rd round pick to Melbourne for pick 23

2021 Best 22:

B: Hibberd, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Saad

C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Polec

HF: Fritsch, Gunston, Petracca

F: Pickett, Weideman, Spargo

R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I: Jackson, Salem (to play inside and outside midfield), half forward (hunt, melksham, hannan, bennell?), small defender (lockhart, jetta, draft pick?)

In my opinion we don't lose any best 22 players and we gain 3. Saad allows Salem to push up the ground to give us a classy player around stoppages and on a wing. Gunston takes the best defender off Weideman, he will complement him by pushing up the ground and Weid staying close to goal and will allow Fritsch to roam half forward. Polec plays the opposite wing to langdon to provide more pace and ball use. Jackson plays 3rd tall forward, allow Max to go forward when giving him a chop out, and will get more minutes playing on-ball to give us a different look. Viney leaving allows Brayshaw and Harmes to play their natural roles on-ball.

I think this would be over paying for Gunston, he is 28 right? Also isn't Polak supposed to be a massive C-unit? Im a bit torn, I agree we wont have Gawn and may at peak effectiveness much longer (2-3 years tops) on the other hand, I'm not sure if this is really a premiership window list. We might have 2 years left of finals window

I guess I would probably just bring in the best long term talent around the established 5-6 starts we have in the hopes of having a decent crack in 3-5 years time, probably without Gawn sadly

We’ve invested heavily in defence. And probably thought Tmac Weideman and Melksham would kick in after 2018. Weideman looks like he progressed this year but the other two have gone backwards quickly. We certainly need to invest more up forward.
Langdon was a great acquisition but another quick mid would be great. Particularly one with good foot skills.

I think it would be naive to assume that many teams will be keen to swap ready made players for 2020 draft picks, no one got to see the draft kids play this year. 2020 draft picks are not going to be as valuable as they usually are, sure they will have value, but not as much.

I think there will be few trades involving 2020 draft picks for decent players this year, maybe player swaps and future picks are where some deals might get done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley was an interesting one. Word last year was that he would have been around a second rounder had he gone through to ND. Didn’t look too out of place last year when he played either. Considering he came straight from VFL. I wonder if dogs give him a go.

Dunkley was an interesting one. Word last year was that he would have been around a second rounder had he gone through to ND. Didn’t look too out of place last year when he played either. Considering he came straight from VFL. I wonder if dogs give him a go.
Probably one that would have been kept in a normal year.

I reckon he will get a go somewhere else, the problem is with reduced list sizes teams will struggle to hold on to those "maybe" players a little longer.

I reckon he will get a go somewhere else, the problem is with reduced list sizes teams will struggle to hold on to those "maybe" players a little longer.
This. The Crows might have a look. Carlton, North or Essendon maybe to add to their midfield depth. Dogs would be odd as they're stacked with good youngish mids.

Yeah. Had a bit of a look around. As it stands pick 10. So you’ll be barracking for Adelaide today. Seems we got to make finals for that pick not to interfere with ours. With a couple of NGA picks you’ll get a pick around 10 or so from us.
Probably one that would have been kept in a normal year.
Hard to believe they haven’t announced list sizes. Although surely they’ll be reduced given north swung the axe.

Dunkley probably similar to a few of our other players to. Not quick either which doesn’t help his cause.

Dunkley would probably get another shot somewhere given the lack of exposed form of the draftees this year.

Wasn't really sure what his weapons were as a player. Didn't really seem to need him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back