Golf The 2021 Open Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's because a gold medal doesn't come with a fat cheque

Golf wasn’t even included in the Olympics program from 1904-2012.

Justin Rose, Fowler, Stenson, Kuchar - these guys hold the Olympics in very high regard. They aren’t exactly weekend hackers.

And it’s a big call on pros risking their livelihood to play in Japan during Covid.

olympics sits at the bottom of the trophy food chain.

Concur, also in popularity - for example in 2016 (off the top of my head) Stenson won the The Open (with a record -20), Willett won the Masters, Johnson the US Open and Day won the Players, I can't recall who won the PGA that year - but, without googling, can anyone recall who won golf medals at the Rio Olympics? - I can't and I doubt too many others would...

Concur, also in popularity - for example in 2016 (off the top of my head) Stenson won the The Open (with a record -20), Willett won the Masters, Johnson the US Open and Day won the Players, I can't recall who won the PGA that year - but, without googling, can anyone recall who won golf medals at the Rio Olympics? - I can't and I doubt too many others would...

Rose winning is pretty common knowledge I would have thought.

Last edited:

Spot on mate. I love golf and any chance to watch it I usually take the option.

I think Rio.....wasnt it justin rose?

It was Rose wasn't it? I could be wrong haha. Honestly I wouldn't have been able to tie any major winners to the year they won except maybe the past two years.

Golf wasn’t even included in the Olympics program from 1904-2012.

Justin Rose, Fowler, Stenson, Kuchar - these guys hold the Olympics in very high regard. They aren’t exactly weekend hackers.

And it’s a big call on pros risking their livelihood to play in Japan during Covid.
There's a heap of big name players who would love nothing more than to represent their country at the Olympics, but there's a heap that don't as well. There's probably going to be guys playing in the John Deere Classic run at the same time as the Olympics that were eligible to go to Tokyo.

I don't really have an issue with it either, just saying outside of majors and the ryder cup I don't think the top players are motivated by trophys.

I'd probably prefer it golf in the olympics was restricted to players with amatuer status only.

Rose winning is pretty common knowledge I would have thought.

Now that you mention him, I do recall reading about Rose, OK, then - how many people would know how you qualify, how many per country can play, what is the format? etc.... again, very few would know/care...

Last edited:
Now that you mention him, I do recall reading about Rose, OK, then - how many people would know how you qualify, how many per country can play, what is the format? etc.... again, very few would know/care...
Could say the same thing for most sports in the olympics though. How do you qualify for the kayaking events?

Could say the same thing for most sports in the olympics though. How do you qualify for the kayaking events?

Not really as it is fairly common knowledge how most athletes qualify to compete in the Olympics via prior national or international events with athletes receiving rankings or points based system from these events etc. etc... - for golfers, I guess if they win a major in the same year as the Olympics and/or you're the highest ranked player for your country at the time, you're in, tennis I guess would be similar...?

2 males, 2 females - highest ranked.

How do you qualify for the 4 golf majors?

2 males, 2 females - highest ranked.

How do you qualify for the 4 golf majors?

Now you're just being sarcastic as it's fairly common knowledge there are different qualification and invitation protocols for all 4 majors with the common base relating to current world rankings - and thank god the Masters has finally scrapped their lifetime former champions invitations, to winners of the previous 10 years...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest nobody gives a fu** about golf at the Olympics. The players are drilled to say the right things but it is not high in most golfers list. It should just be for amateur golfers.

Concur, and moreover, despite my best efforts I'm yet to see a golfer hit one shot during the Olympics, so it's obviously not a priority sport for the organizers or the media - and don't get me started on how hobbies such as skateboarding and rock climbing are now somehow considered 'Olympic sports'...
I mean FFS what's next; cake decorating and/or basket weaving...?

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s top 2 men and top 2 women. Smith, Leishman, Green and Minjee Lee for us.

It seems you also talk s**t.

The same bloke who proudly announced that Smith and Leishman should be lauded for winning the PGA Tours only Ambrose hit and giggle event.

Listen, we all watch a lot of golf mate and know a lot about it. We all have different opinions and none and are or wrong. Cut the tough guy act as it gets tiring.

Its awesome that Rose remembers fondly his Olympic win. The facts show though that it isn’t all that well regarded.

I am happy to discuss golf with you or anyone on here but your edgy act is not really all that impressive.

You still here talking complete sh*t?

Nice fluff piece and I've no doubt it was a memorable experience for the participants - however ask most punters on the street about what they thought of Rose or any golfer winning an Olympic medal and I'd be surprised if they really give a faaaaaaark....

And while you're entitled to your opinion; multi-millionaire sports men and women competing for Olympic medals I think you'll find doesn't quite sit right with most people, particularly those who know of the sacrifices and financial hardships that a lot of real 'amateur' Olympic athletes have experienced over the years..?

Related - stories of our Olympians running in heats at famous stadiums in front of 60,000 people one day, then just a few years later the same 'Olympian' is stacking shelves at Coles, is actually more common than most are aware of.
Whereas Justin Rose's toughest decision after his Olympic experience would be what cabinet in which of his many residences he would keep his medal in...

Last edited:
Just finished watching a replay of last night. Collin is just a freak of a talent. Aboslute freak.

To be honest nobody gives a fu** about golf at the Olympics. The players are drilled to say the right things but it is not high in most golfers list. It should just be for amateur golfers.
I agree but no way the IOC is ever going to sign off on anything other than the pro stars appearing (it was only ever voted in as they were desperate for Tiger to play).

In any case (sham)ateur golf is basically a joke now anyway. The best are taking all sorts of inducements from an early age. They should just remove the distinguishing line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back