Autopsy The 2021 preseason is done and we've learnt heaps

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Lobb. I want people to be fit and healthy and it will be very unfortunate for him if he spends an extended period on the sidelines.

So what I say isn't personal to Lobb, but just how I see the forward line today.

I really don't think his absence will be a big problem for our forward line. He has been pretty damp ineffectual forward across his entire GWS/Freo career. His best contributions across his career have been as an around-the-ground ruck.

If it allows us to pump games into someone who can become a bona-fide forward (maybe Tracy, maybe a re-worked tall defender) or give space to "weaponise" Fyfe, then from a team point of view there may be a big silver lining, even though it is very unfortunate for the individual.

Now Walters on the other hand ...

Fyfe forward is not the answer. It never has been.

It's like the old "we can slot Pavlich in there" situation. You don't take the best player from his best position to another part of the team because there is no one else available. It is on the club to get this fixed.

Fyfe is not a good forward, he doesn't kick bags and never has. He isn't going to start at this age. Dusty works in bursts up forward because of the mismatch he tends to get on defenders playing the same forward line as Lynch / Reiwoldt + crumbers. We do not have that luxury.

Paying 700K to Lobb was clearly a mistake, he has had some good patches of footy but his goal kicking for a bloke who see's himself as a forward is atrocious.

Yuk.

Fyfe forward is not the answer. It never has been.

It's like the old "we can slot Pavlich in there" situation. You don't take the best player from his best position to another part of the team because there is no one else available. It is on the club to get this fixed.

Fyfe is not a good forward, he doesn't kick bags and never has. He isn't going to start at this age. Dusty works in bursts up forward because of the mismatch he tends to get on defenders playing the same forward line as Lynch / Reiwoldt + crumbers. We do not have that luxury.

Paying 700K to Lobb was clearly a mistake, he has had some good patches of footy but his goal kicking for a bloke who see's himself as a forward is atrocious.

Yuk.
I don't think Fyfe works as a permanent forward. But I think he has scope to contribute there. If you can get him deep 1-on-1 he can be effective. But orchestrating that depends on match-ups and how the game is unfolding rather than as a permanent plan.

One other part of Fyfe playing forward more is that it gives space for other midfielders to develop around the stoppage. Fyfe is absolutely still the go-to guy, but good junior midfielders will only become good senior midfielders if they get increasing mid-field time. It would be wonderful to see some extended periods where the heavy lifting around the stoppage is being done by Brayshaw, Cerra, and Serong.

One of the things I see with the forward connection issues is Tabs seems to have no idea when & where to lead once we are in possession going forward.
We saw when he wasn’t there in the scratch match (yes less pressure I know) but Treacy seems to be able to time a lead & there were other examples of good connection.
When Tabs is the main target it looks like everyone down there is confused & we reverted to bomb it in.
I don’t think Banfield achieves much as a forward & Schultz is willing but no smarts or polish.
Freddy is coming on nicely but Henry has a way to go. Some combo of Sturt, Walters, Freddy, Henry & maybe Switta is hopefully going to come together if the injury gods allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t see Cox playing forward. He could easily be an AA defender (he actually was AA CHB in under 16s)

Like Snuffy said a few posts earlier it is Sturt that will change the dynamic of our forward line the most as he is super fast, very good above head, clean at ground level and very smart. Hard to tell from two games but he could be easily the most natural forward on our list.

Not sure if anyone who was at yesterday’s game can confirm but it looked on TV like Crowden has a real ability to find space inside 50. Pity he is only about 5 foot 9.

I have a feeling we will see Meek and Darcy playing together. Both are good at ground level and ok at contested marks its probably the best option we have at the moment.
I would say Treacy but I haven't seen if he is any good at rucking.

I can’t see Cox playing forward. He could easily be an AA defender (he actually was AA CHB in under 16s)

Like Snuffy said a few posts earlier it is Sturt that will change the dynamic of our forward line the most as he is super fast, very good above head, clean at ground level and very smart. Hard to tell from two games but he could be easily the most natural forward on our list.

Not sure if anyone who was at yesterday’s game can confirm but it looked on TV like Crowden has a real ability to find space inside 50. Pity he is only about 5 foot 9.
He not only finds space at times, he’s a ferocious tackler and leaves nothing out on the ground. A few of his team mates could take notice of his efforts. Ethan Hughes was very good yesterday. An absolute lock for round one.

Can’t play Lloyd and Meek IMO, no team will play two ruckman with average mobility. The teams that play two genuine rucks have one of them that are hyper mobile for their size. Cox to play back up ruck as required

Think you’ll find we can

Players with HUGE differentials between their best and worst. That is the issue. With some players you just don’t know which one will turn up. Is it the 20+ possession and a goal contributor, or the 9 possession invisible man spud? I won’t bother to name them, but we all have our ideas who they are.

Replace these tweeners with regular contributors and we’re well on our way.

Can’t play Lloyd and Meek IMO, no team will play two ruckman with average mobility. The teams that play two genuine rucks have one of them that are hyper mobile for their size. Cox to play back up ruck as required
Think you’ll find we can

Snuffy - meet Lloyd Meek - it's hard to play one without the other... :D ;):thumbsu:

1615170989604.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Ryan was the difference in the two teams yesterday imo. Lock him down and their avenues to goal become a lot more limited. Not exactly rocket science given Peel realised it was the smart move against Subi back in their premiership years....
THIS

I was pulling my hair out yesterday as to why we didn't put a tagger on him.

My biggest bugbear is some of our guys don’t learn from their mistakes, far too often the ball carrier was just bombing it in only to be intercepted. There’s a lesson there. Same with the forwards, if someone is running off you and intercepting the ball, then there’s also a lesson there. If you want to play forward, then be a forward. Position yourself to prevent the ball going to the opposing side.
it’s not rocket science. Everybody in the forward 50 need to present, and hopefully the ball carrier will pick a good option.

Because it is a practice game, and no one gives 2 fu**s about the outcome, most likely.
Looks like Longmuir cared in the presser. As a paying member who attends all the games (including pre-season) I like to see us give a fu(k about every game. Need to treat practise games like the real thing. Not hard to have someone run with him.

I feel sorry for Lobb. I want people to be fit and healthy and it will be very unfortunate for him if he spends an extended period on the sidelines.

So what I say isn't personal to Lobb, but just how I see the forward line today.

I really don't think his absence will be a big problem for our forward line. He has been pretty damp ineffectual forward across his entire GWS/Freo career. His best contributions across his career have been as an around-the-ground ruck.

If it allows us to pump games into someone who can become a bona-fide forward (maybe Tracy, maybe a re-worked tall defender) or give space to "weaponise" Fyfe, then from a team point of view there may be a big silver lining, even though it is very unfortunate for the individual.

Now Walters on the other hand ...
Lobb is our second ruck, and our first ruck has played zero games. He is also pretty much the tallest forward in the game so requires a decent KPD, and he will likely be replaced by a 19 year old debutant. Lobb out is a pretty decent whack.

lessons learnt from pre-season.

Lloyd Meek. - All things considered (given barely played a afl game in 3 years) this kid goes all right. Actually better than all right - he's a real competitor that deserves a shot at the big time. Was competing well with the best ruck in the competition until tiring late.
Lobb - Not sure how good he was anyway to be honest.
Banfield - I have the feeling he will be a lot better with quality around him - which doesn't exist right now. If he's one of the key targets in the forward line then we are in trouble.
Tucker - Has been a consistent performer for us for a few years and will improve as the season goes on with a limited preperation.
Blakely - Just going to be one of those really good WAFL players unfortunately.
Tabs - See Tucker - limited pre season and will improve with games.
Young - Will be a very good player this year. His laser passes down the corridor (which don't always come off) need to be encouraged. He will get more of an understanding of his limitations with these passes but at this stage he has more skill than most others.
Mundy - Still got the smarts but time has to catch up with him sooner or later and it looks like it might be this year.
Aish - Doesn't go as hard as he should but good decision maker and kick means he's all right at this level.
Acres - Doen't go as hard as he should and poor decision maker and kick means he's not all right at this level.
Fyfe - Needs to play mainly in the midfield - it is where games are won.
Cox - ????
Shultz - Not enough tricks in the trick bag unfortunately.
Switta - Not enough tricks in the trick bag unfortunately.
Colyer - Not enough tricks in the trick bag unfortunately.
Sturt - At the age of 20 and with the 3 games to his name - is the most important player in the 22. If he stays fit and on the park - we have a shot at finals. If not, I don't think we do.
Treacy - Would love to see him come on this year but would be surprised if he does (young key forwards rarely do immediately)
Walters - Very important to stay fit and healthy for the next 3 years.
Pearce - Will improve with games this year.
Hamling - Will improve with games this year.
Fredericks - Sorry Mick Malthouse but Freddy belongs at this level. Good user, fast and pretty good decision maker. If he finds some confidence I can see him being a 200 game player.
Henry - Hasn't done much but give him time.
Cerra, Serong, Brayshaw - All important cogs of the midfield group over the next 5/10 years.

The forward line: Stuffed if I know! Easily the worst area of the ground. Sturt Tabs and Walters need to be in there. Aside from that, I don't know what the answer is and just hope the club does.

Just Longmuir - Like the cut of his jib. From of a tactical and building relationships point of view - I reckon he's better than Lyon. Less experienced of course so lets give him some time to sort this team out.

I wish we had more info on club decisions sometimes. Would it have been that bad to have given McCarthy one more year? At least he kicked goals.

Didn't watch the game but watching the replay now, it doesn't look that bad. A lot of these players haven't played together, like for example has Pearce and Cox ever played together down back?
I was thinking the same thing. McCarthy to be given one more year on the cheap but he wasnt dedicated enough to improve. Same with Brandon Matera as he kicked 30 goals in 2019 and barely did anything in 2020.

Tabs and Lobb being our Full forwards worked. Need a link man on a forward flank to deliver. Walters would of been that guy but is sadly injured.
Also with the way Cox is going Port Adelaide are going to be putting a massive offer in front of him, he is exactly the player they need at the moment
If Port wanted Brennan cox, they would of got him last season when he was out of contract.

I was talking about Wilson , but I wouldn’t be against both of them taking one wing each.
Yeah, I knew who you were referring to. I just selected his partner on the other wing.. Although after seeing a replay, Aish was pretty good and Acres was OK in the first half before becoming a little unruly (lazy)in the second half. Going to be interesting team selection. Certainly see Wilson as best 22 if someone can stop the oppo small quick forwards.

I was thinking the same thing. McCarthy to be given one more year on the cheap but he wasnt dedicated enough to improve. Same with Brandon Matera as he kicked 30 goals in 2019 and barely did anything in 2020.

Tabs and Lobb being our Full forwards worked. Need a link man on a forward flank to deliver. Walters would of been that guy but is sadly injured.
If Port wanted Brennan cox, they would of got him last season when he was out of contract.
The McCarthy & Hogan decision wasnt about the game, it was about the impact players like those 2 were having on the group as a whole. They spend a lot of time together (the players) & I get the feeling it’s the Lachie Neale rule.

Tucker should improve after his first game in 9 months. Still has upside and is a B22 player for sure when at full tilt.
Didn’t think Mundy was that bad to be honest. 23 disposals and looked ok in traffic at times unlike quite a few others.
Hopefully Tabs was just minding himself as that was a woeful effort by him.
Looking at the defence I think Wilson is a must now in the back 6. Too many of the others are too similar, intercepting types. Wilson is the only one with run and carry as someone mentioned earlier and needs to come in. Despite all our extra defenders, when you think of players like Adam Saad and Conor McKenna, good exponents of that style of play - Wilson is the only player like that that we have.
Conca should be actually banned from kicking the ball and I’m seriously not joking. Just lockdown their best defender and if you get the ball Reece - handball to literally any other docker player immediately. A total liability kicking out of the defensive 50.
Wilson and Ryan back in would probably mean Conca would miss out in best 22,Reece is i'm sure a good clubman but on the last line of defence a bit of a worry, any quick forward would run rings around him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back