The 2021 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just make finals. Just make finals. Just make finals. That’s all I ask. We’re too young and have a couple holes to be asking for much more. We’ll get there, but 2021 is about getting finals experience into our young legs.

2022-2024 is where things get serious.

This is when you attract an experienced player or two from another club to top off your list. The list management thread does my head in with everyone wanting to sell the farm. Trade this pick for these two picks to send to this club for their two picks and combine those with our future pick and then... Its the same in all sports. Fans want to see something happen and then freak out when that something doesn’t work out (ie Hogan). Stop trying to outsmart everyone and stay the course. I think JLo and Belly have a vision and won’t be swayed by the outside noise or pressure for instant gratification, like most fans. Their decision on Hogan was made like a butcher cutting the fat off a steak. Quick and deliberate. Cut the bad and keep the good stuff. Then move on to the next.

To me the club seems to be sailing confidently straight ahead, anchors up, as the winds swirl around it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is not a single team in the league I don’t think we can beat next season. Not one. Of course we will lose some games. But I don’t fear any team.
I actually expect us to win at least one derby against west coast, and maybe even both. Losing twice again next year to the eagles current bunch of grandpas should not be seen as anything less than abject failure.
Yeah good luck with that.

If it's a 17 game season in 2021. I don't care if we lose to west coast by 30-40 points, I just want a finals spot.

Don't care if it's 8th or 7th and get beaten up by 30-40 points

I want to see the use of a swing man in 2021. Try to change things up during the game. Use both of cox and Logie forward and back.
We have the cattle to cover down back and some limitations forward. Would love to cause uncertainty in the minds of the opposition

I want to see the use of a swing man in 2021. Try to change things up during the game. Use both of cox and Logie forward and back.
We have the cattle to cover down back and some limitations forward. Would love to cause uncertainty in the minds of the opposition
Fyfe it move in & out of the forward line.
Cerra to sit at full forward for a rest.
Mix it up for sure.
We don't really have a choice with this year's delistings.

The best thing we can do to create uncertainty in the minds of the opposition is to kick goals from or outside 45m, not muck around with personnel positioning. Kicking long range goals forces the oppositions defence to panic about whether to play one on one or to flood; at the moment as soon as we get the ball oppositions just flood back blindly to fill the space.

The best thing we can do to create uncertainty in the minds of the opposition is to kick goals from or outside 45m, not muck around with personnel positioning. Kicking long range goals forces the oppositions defence to panic about whether to play one on one or to flood; at the moment as soon as we get the ball oppositions just flood back blindly to fill the space.
Agree. Unfortunately not something we are known for.

Agree. Unfortunately not something we are known for.
I think Darcy Tucker has the ability to kick long bombs from outside 50, if he was given licence to show that side of his game a bit more

I think Darcy Tucker has the ability to kick long bombs from outside 50, if he was given licence to show that side of his game a bit more

We’ve got a handful that are capable, just have to set up the opportunities and as you say, give them license.

Maybbe just maybe we don't bomb it in on the heads of our forwards to a 3v1. Maybe we address the issue that had been plaguing us for *in years and have some structure about moving forward, find a target, hit a lead. We have no problem going forward it's how we do it. Rich, Weags, cats even *in St Kilda now have addressed this and they kick set shots which ultimately end in my Ws. What sets us apart from other teams is that we are exciting, chaotic ball movement and clutch moment goals. But this is what has delayed our success.

You know, how a child is 0, and the turns 1? Becoming a one year old AFTER their 1st year?
So, Draftess (0), first year (have made it to one year on the list, technically into their second year next year), etc.
No, that doesn't make any sense. No sport on earth does this or references players in this manner, makes no sense. Again, does the footy world remark on Serong as a 'first year player' next year? I think not.

No, that doesn't make any sense. No sport on earth does this or references players in this manner, makes no sense. Again, does the footy world remark on Serong as a 'first year player' next year? I think not.
Agree - your first year is from when you start until you have played a year. So I would take it to mean new recruits through to those who have completed three years and are going into their fourth. That's just my interpretation, don't know if it's correct :)

Agree - your first year is from when you start until you have played a year. So I would take it to mean new recruits through to those who have completed three years and are going into their fourth. That's just my interpretation, don't know if it's correct :)
Just me but I read it as Serong, Young etc as 1st year because we’re in 2020 and their first year.

We haven’t added any draftees yet so they can’t be 1st years. By the time the full squad are back in training in 2021 Serong, Young etc will be second year because they are in their second year.

1st year - 2019 draftees
2nd year - 2018 draftees
3rd year - 2017 draftees
4th year - 2016 draftees

Usually preseason starts in early November and well before National draft (ie when Brayshaw got drafted in late November 2017 he was back training at the start of November 2018 so technically within 1 year. This year is out of whack with COVID.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far our forward entry strategy seems to be inclined to a slow build up. I think midfield goals generally come via fast transition and midfielders who have the pace to run into attack. Brayshaw shapes for this kind of thing but just can't seal the deal. Bewley, Acres and Aish are the ones who we need producing, and Tucker as well when he is back.

Bombing from outside 50 can be a part of that.

So far our forward entry strategy seems to be inclined to a slow build up. I think midfield goals generally come via fast transition and midfielders who have the pace to run into attack. Brayshaw shapes for this kind of thing but just can't seal the deal. Bewley, Acres and Aish are the ones who we need producing, and Tucker as well when he is back.

Bombing from outside 50 can be a part of that.

The old 7-point play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back