The 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of all the concerning things being discussed here (like lack of good key forwards, ball movement, Longmuir’s coaching ect) the thing that concerns me as much as anything is the confusing method behind last years draft hand.

Wagner. Excusing the bad start this year, the reality is he was delisted by 2 clubs, and is playing a position we already seem to have a fair bit of depth in. Pretty confident he would have even been there as a rookie pick.

Emmett: Big body and aggressive but question marks on his kicking. Also probably would have been available later.

Davies. Way too early to tell but I don’t know if he had the athleticism at this point to be a modern day AFL key back. (Could be wrong).

Knobel: Why are we choosing long term rucks in the draft as you can usually trade for handy back up rucks (ala Meek) if needed at some stage?

I know it’s too early to tell but All in all, some head scratching decisions by Walls and co (to give him his due, he has done well at drafting in the last 5/6 years).

Davies and Knobel look like decent picks to me. Both around their draft range. Both areas of need. We needed a developing ruck before Meek left. Logue left and we needed a developing KPD.

As for Emmett he had some issues with injuries pre-season but I don’t mind what I’ve seen at peel, aside from his goal kicking. He needs time. A real diamond in the rough. I agree he could have been selected later in the draft.

I don’t know about Wagner and I reckon we could have added him as a pre-season supp pick. Not sure why we pulled the trigger on the ND. Anyway what ever he was selected at 57 which was one of the last handful of picks. So I kind of agree with you there but not a big issue. He was seen as a depth replacement. Yes his favourite position is HBF but he has played wing and some of the defenders we have (Clark, Chapman) can be moved to the wing.

The bigger issue was the trade cost for LJ. Two firsts with something coming back would have been my final offer. We also should have got more for Acres and can’t understand why we just just literally let him go.

This is absurdly too early. The only one that you can reasonably raise eyebrows at already is Wagner because of his age and the fact he'd already been in and out of the AFL system. We have no idea how good the other players turn out (particularly Davies and Knobel).

This is absurdly too early. The only one that you can reasonably raise eyebrows at already is Wagner because of his age and the fact he'd already been in and out of the AFL system. We have no idea how good the other players turn out (particularly Davies and Knobel).
Granted, too early. But the method seems weird to me. Why have we picked Knobel at all? Let him develop for a few years and get him later, or via trade if he works out as a ruckman. Back up rucks are fairly easy to attain as trades. And why didn't we wait for the rookie draft to pick up Wagner?

Granted, too early. But the method seems weird to me. Why have we picked Knobel at all? Let him develop for a few years and get him later, or via trade if he works out as a ruckman. Back up rucks are fairly easy to attain as trades. And why didn't we wait for the rookie draft to pick up Wagner?
I agree, on the current team list, it's an odd pick-up but given he's a long-term project, you need to wait long term to judge it. I remember WC drafting Allen AND Brander and me being like "what idiots, they dont need forwards", well now I look completely stupid. I wish they would have had foresight sometime between 2016 and 2019 and drafted a KPF

I agree, on the current team list, it's an odd pick-up but given he's a long-term project, you need to wait long term to judge it. I remember WC drafting Allen AND Brander and me being like "what idiots, they dont need forwards", well now I look completely stupid. I wish they would have had foresight sometime between 2016 and 2019 and drafted a KPF
Yep, trading out our pick 6 (Ben King) in 2018, was definitely not the right move in hindsight. From now on, no high profile trades until we are definitely in a premiership window.

You can lock Knobell and Davies in as fair picks already imo. The rest look average at best.

How can you lock them in? We didn't need another ruck, especially with our eye on Reidy. And while Davies makes some sort of sense position wise, he was taken to the cleaners by Vic Metro and you can't have any idea if it was a decent pick.

Emmett made sense for our list balance, but if he can't kick as per WAFL reports, then I don't know why we drafted him. But what would I know. Guys I wanted instead like Harry Cole and Jaiden Magor were on the nose with recruiters.

Draper sounds promising and I think is the only player from that draft who will give us something.

How can you lock them in? We didn't need another ruck, especially with our eye on Reidy. And while Davies makes some sort of sense position wise, he was taken to the cleaners by Vic Metro and you can't have any idea if it was a decent pick.

Emmett made sense for our list balance, but if he can't kick as per WAFL reports, then I don't know why we drafted him. But what would I know. Guys I wanted instead like Harry Cole and Jaiden Magor were on the nose with recruiters.

Draper sounds promising and I think is the only player from that draft who will give us something.

I much prefer Knobell as a developing ruck than Reidy and I agree there was no use getting both. Knobell is handy because he looks talented and good rucks are valuable both as players but also in the trade market.

I agree that its early to call this, but the thread was put out there now so there you go. I gave my opinions, just like you have with Draper ;)

I think you’re being too hard on yourself. You’re only half stupid when you consider the Brander selection.

Is it too soon to see how Davies goes as a forward? Naughton played down back with Peel but has proven to be a more than capable forward.

Think Draper would prefer first dibs on forward
Good point. Normally Freo try out tall, mobile players up forward before inevitably conceding they are ill suited to the position and then move them to the backline. We’re desperate for tall mobile forwards and Draper actually played his junior footy there, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I much prefer Knobell as a developing ruck than Reidy and I agree there was no use getting both. Knobell is handy because he looks talented and good rucks are valuable both as players but also in the trade market.

I agree that its early to call this, but the thread was put out there now so there you go. I gave my opinions, just like you have with Draper ;)
Would've thought four rucks on an AFL list is pretty standard tbh.

There is simply no way Knobel could play AFL this year.

Reidy is probably a slightly better version of Scott Jones who was drafted the same time as Lloyd Meek. We probably know he isn't quite AFL standard but if we get injuries him playing is better than a skinny teenager.

We probably should've drafted a developing ruck 1-2 years ago but we had Meek as back up so it wasn't a priority.

Good point. Normally Freo try out tall, mobile players up forward before inevitably conceding they are ill suited to the position and then move them to the backline. We’re desperate for tall mobile forwards and Draper actually played his junior footy there, right?
Yes. He made a point in an interview that he sees himself as a forward.

Would've thought four rucks on an AFL list is pretty standard tbh.

There is simply no way Knobel could play AFL this year.

Reidy is probably a slightly better version of Scott Jones who was drafted the same time as Lloyd Meek. We probably know he isn't quite AFL standard but if we get injuries him playing is better than a skinny teenager.

We probably should've drafted a developing ruck 1-2 years ago but we had Meek as back up so it wasn't a priority.
We have 2 rucks that are here for the next 8 and 10 years, don't think drafting a project ruck was a priority

Taken knobel at 40 so he can develop for 4 years and eventually be traded out for pick??? 40? That's about the going rate of rucks with no games

Is Wagner 1 year or 2 years?

Former listed player so I'm hoping it's a one year contract and that's why we were comfortable taking him in the ND?

Makes more sense than just picking him for the hell of it as he was surely a DFA if Ferg Greene was

We have 2 rucks that are here for the next 8 and 10 years, don't think drafting a project ruck was a priority

Taken knobel at 40 so he can develop for 4 years and eventually be traded out for pick??? 40? That's about the going rate of rucks with no games

I think we get a better ruck long term by drafting them young and developing rather than drafting a mature ager tbh. The reason you probably need four on the list is half decent back ups rucks get snapped up by opposition clubs reasonably quickly.

You might have a point about drafting him with pick 40 though.

I think we get a better ruck long term by drafting them young and developing rather than drafting a mature ager tbh.

You might have a point about drafting him with pick 40 though.
A ruck drafted at pick 40 will be more than just a journeyman fringe ruck. Using a draft pick in that range on a ruck indicates they think he will be a top 10 ruck in the comp eventually.

A ruck drafted at pick 40 will be more than just a journeyman fringe ruck. Using a draft pick in that range on a ruck indicates they think he will be a top 10 ruck in the comp eventually.
Not for us though, we have 2 rucks for the next 10 years, instead he will leave for another pick in the 40s

Just didn't make any sense at the time and especially not now

It's either too early or 'easy to say with hindsight'.
Maybe for some people.

I'm trying to be as nice as possible saying that criticising a draft this early is... illogical.

For all we know Darcy is planning on leaving next contract and Davies and Draper are future guns, I mean, the fact Draper is seemingly so close to a debut is pretty promising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back