Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Rumour that crows player in hospital with heart related issue. Anyone know if this accurate and who it is

Item says Cardiologists recommend no exercise for 3 months!

If it was a main list player I think this would have been made more of - the training side not jab react

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

Encouraging talk on Thilthorpe, not exactly surprising, but great to hear. He was already covering massive territory during games in the 21 season, scary to think what he’ll do with a couple of preseasons under his belt. Could genuinely be that Nick Riewoldt/Tom Lynch (ours) that just smashed his opponent with work rate/distance covered from half forward. Foot skills are insanely good to boot! Just need him running to more dangerous positions.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Encouraging talk on Thilthorpe, not exactly surprising, but great to hear. He was already covering massive territory during games in the 21 season, scary to think what he’ll do with a couple of preseasons under his belt. Could genuinely be that Nick Riewoldt/Tom Lynch (ours) that just smashed his opponent with work rate/distance covered from half forward. Foot skills are insanely good to boot! Just need him running to more dangerous positions.
With that engine and his strength developing as well, he might end up the best ruckman in the competition

We really need another partner in crime with him up forward. Not sure if Fog is that guy. Tex is arguably going to play his final year this year or next.

TT on his own will get double and triple teamed by the opposition.

A good forward line has good multiple options and this is when I think TT will be elite and really shine.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
We really need another partner in crime with him up forward. Not sure if Fog is that guy. Tex is arguably going to play his final year this year or next.

A good forward line has good multiple options and this is when I think TT will be elite and really shine.

We need McAsey to really come on.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need McAsey to really come on.

He is my prediction of a player who makes an impact. A big body always takes time to develop. If ever there was a classic case of being played too early, you would have to suggest this was it by the AFC. Couple of solid pre seasons in the weights room should really allow him to play the game we drafted him for.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
They say talls develop slowly

If that's the case then McAsey is right on track

However busts also develop slowly. How do we tell the difference between the two?

McAsey has shown plenty of glimpses. The issue was he was getting ragdolled worse than MacKay out of contests against bigger bodied more seasoned afl players. He has great marking ability and seems to be able to read the ball really well. Remember Doedee didn't play for the first two years, ROB literally played two games in his first four years I think.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
McAsey has shown plenty of glimpses. The issue was he was getting ragdolled worse than MacKay out of contests against bigger bodied more seasoned afl players. He has great marking ability and seems to be able to read the ball really well. Remember Doedee didn't play for the first two years, ROB literally played two games in his first four years I think.
Doedee lit it up in those first two years though

I heard Tom Lynch wax lyrical about him at a luncheon where Lynch was guest speaker. He only didn't play because of our timid selection policy and inexplicable love of limited players.

McAsey struggled last year at SANFL level and had to be moved into another position.

Hopefully it's just him adjusting to the requirements of AFL intensity training (remember when he keeled over during a preseason run?) and his conditioning will catch up to his talent soon.

I guess you want to see a few glimpses even from the slow developers. Just a few signs that there's something there. There have been a few good bits and pieces no doubt that have me hopeful but not enough to confidently say Yeah he'll be quality

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

If tex is double teamed, that leaves fog, rachele, mcadam, cook etc to exploit tge space. It will be more a problem for the opposition than us going forward i feel

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan

Item says Cardiologists recommend no exercise for 3 months!

If it was a main list player I think this would have been made more of - the training side not jab react

Will they force him to have his second shot to play once recovered if he recovers sufficiently?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I don’t remember Doedee ripping it up in the SANFL at all. I remember everyone being very concerned by his kicking.
You're remembering it wrong. His SANFL form was very good. I'd go a step further and say they were overly conservative and played him there longer than they needed but Jake Leaver kept him out.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex is on his last legs. We need another big target like TT up forward.
Gollant plays tall for his size. Along with Thilthorpe and Fogarty they are plenty tall enough for up forward. We also have Himmelberg as backup. Borlase and Worrall are more likely to make it up forward than McAsey imo. McAsey has shown very little at either end and they should move him on if he doesn't show any improvement in 2022. No use flogging a dead horse. The best forwards these days are the Dusty Martin type. We just need our talls to compete, bring the ball to ground and not be outmarked. Rachele, Cook and our resting mids Schoenberg, Dawson, Berry will do the rest. If we can also get McAdam to do something we should have a pretty good forward line.

Last edited:
You're remembering it wrong. His SANFL form was very good. I'd go a step further and say they were overly conservative and played him there longer than they needed but Jake Leaver kept him out.
I don't think it was Lever keeping him out (who was actually a good player and deserved to be in the side), Jake Kelly played 24 games in 2017, that was the issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back