Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
The photo certainly doesn't do Fog any favours. Hopefully it's a mirage, because he looks far too chubby there.

There's an elite player in Fogs body, it's just sadly consumed by a few unnecessary pounds.
Today's training pic...

Capture.PNG

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Josh Worrell starting to fill out.
Started showing signs last year in the SANFL early season, hopefully with more development can get a chance to improve on his woeful debut.

Nick Murray in the background looking like he is taking people out as per usual. Scary spoiler for all opponents, will likely cause injury to both opposition players plus himself and our own. See ball, spoil ball.

Josh Worrell.jpg

Bonus Dood, Jimmy and Ned.
Dood.jpg Jimmy.jpg Ned.jpg

Nov 8, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would love to see a big step forward by Josh Worrell this year. He has a unique set of skills but there is no obvious spot for him in the best 22.

He could become a fantastic “Third Tall Defender” but that means finding a new role for the Dude.

Josh looks a bit like Sam Shaw in that photo, hopefully he has better luck than Sam.

I would love to see a big step forward by Josh Worrell this year. He has a unique set of skills but there is no obvious spot for him in the best 22.

He could become a fantastic “Third Tall Defender” but that means finding a new role for the Dude.

Josh looks a bit like Sam Shaw in that photo, hopefully he has better luck than Sam.
I wouldn’t mind seeing him tried more forward if the ball.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I kind of feel like Sam's ceiling could be a peak Paul Chapman (which I say with a begrudging respect because I used to hate how often he burned us in that annoyingly great Cats dynasty).

I don't think he's going be our cream, but could certainly be a very dangerous "best of the rest" type.
Hasn’t got that skill level but he’s very good with his ground balls and clean takes and definitely a competitor

He grew on me and a good guy to have on the list even though I don’t think he will always be guaranteed a game

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would love it if you are correct. I did not see him live in 2021, but nor have I knocked his talent.

My concerns are purely based around his durability and I think they are valid. I am not saying he has no chance of overcoming them either, just at this stage of the game its a worry.

The fact remains that he has now had 3 consecutive injury ridden seasons, with 2 Shoulder reconstructions.

Joel Selwood is an absolutely terrible example. Sure he had some knee concerns that might have dropped him down one or two spots in the draft, but he came right in and played 21 games in his first year (in a premiership team no less).

Thats the difference. Pedlar had an injury interrupted 2019 and 2020. Then once drafted he had injury issues all preseason. Played some games before having a season ending injury and then on top of that getting a 2nd should reconstruction.

Although player comparisons in these situations are never perfect, I would say a far better comp than Selwood would be Troy Menzel. Both talented, but injury concerns lead them to slip to pick 11.
The only player I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t go for before Pedlar was Tanner Bruhn

No reason why they both can’t be success stories but will take time which is fine

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That latest video talking about diversity is cringe. Players sitting there with their arms crossed and legs up while someone is speaking to them.

It's a difficult thing for her to get up and talk about in front of a group, at least show some basic respect/courtesy. I'm sure they get taught this stuff if their parents already haven't.

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide

There's a Jake Kelly sized hole in our best 22 for him to grab if he's good enough.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Kelly was only a shut down defender only because that's all he was capable of being

Hopefully moving him on shows we're not going to restrict ourselves with (too many) limited footballers

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Do we have any stats on Kelly's performance as a shut down defender over the years? I feel like he got better one on one especially in the air, yet he was still capable of getting bags kicked on him?

Not sure on stats. To me it seemed he started playing on better forwards in his last season or so (Dusty, Petracca, Fritsch). Did very well at times, got exposed at other times.

Earned his keep by taking these tougher roles imho, whereas previously he'd be gifted roles on the worst/youngest opposition forward.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
My bet is hinge grabs that spot. I like worrell but still not sure where he fits.
yep, I've said that all along, I think we were aware a year out Kelly was likely going to exercise his free agency when we targeted Hinge the year before.

Wazzy36

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
yep, I've said that all along, I think we were aware a year out Kelly was likely going to exercise his free agency when we targeted Hinge the year before.
Do you think Hinge will have long term injury problems due to his shoulder? I'm no medical expert but I feel dislocating it twice then needing surgery on it doesn't bode well.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Do you think Hinge will have long term injury problems due to his shoulder? I'm no medical expert but I feel dislocating it twice then needing surgery on it doesn't bode well.
There's probably somewhere in the region of 20 - 30 AFL players running around every year with shoulder reco's in the AFL...it's a fairly common injury, most return to their previous output.

Last edited:

Wazzy36

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's probably somewhere in the region of 20 - 30 AFL players running around every year with shoulder reco's in the AFL...it's a fairly common injury, most return to their previous output.
Well that's good to hear, again I really don't know the difference between more serious and less serious season ending injuries.

Back