Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point however I am hopeful that we will stop playing Doedee as a key defender.

Kelly sometimes played as a poor man’s third tall (when Doedee was used as our second key defender) or as a lock down defender. We usually rotate seven players through our back six.

My preferred defensive structure is
1) Two Key Defenders; Butts and Murray (Frampton and Borlaise as back ups)

2) Third Tall/Intercept Defender; Doedee
(Worrell, Hinge back up)

3) Medium/Small lock down defender; Brown (McPherson back up)

4) Three rebounding Defenders; Smith, Jones and Milera (Hamill, Hinge, Parnell as back ups).

Milera, if fit, is certain to take one of the spots vacated by Kelly.
Kelly vacated more than one spot???

Have seriously high hopes for Murray, seems to have all the talls [meant to say
‘tools’, what is wrong with me] and now being given the chance in an elite environment.

Last edited:
Bloke can play, we could’ve done with him for a couple more years

No, it was time to move on.

We've got forward line prospects to sort through, and Tex for one more year as we prep Thilthorpe to be the main man of our forward line. A player like Lynch taking up a low importance role like third tall is only a roadblock at this point in time.

After all, we still need to work out if it's worth persisting with Fog (well, more we need to be dragged kicking and screaming to the likely answer of no, it isn't unless we want a cheap and highly flawed player as a 2nd/3rd tall), Gollant looks a player worth persisting with, Cook could double up as a third tall if need be, heck even Nankervis has started like a house on fire and the role is a potential intro for him before we look in a midfield direction.

Kelly was only a shut down defender only because that's all he was capable of being

Hopefully moving him on shows we're not going to restrict ourselves with (too many) limited footballers

We didn't exactly move him on, we offered him a contract. Only Lynch and Talia were moved on. Still better than expected though, my money was on only 1 of the 3 retired guys being pushed out.

Do you think Hinge will have long term injury problems due to his shoulder? I'm no medical expert but I feel dislocating it twice then needing surgery on it doesn't bode well.

I did mine 4 or 5 times before getting the op in year 12. After the op it's as good as new, just can be a minor, rarely used, movement restriction.

Surely Smith and Seed must be close to being on this list?
McHenry is not booming or laser but his vision makes up for it. His little spot ups going to be invaluable.
Shoenberg and Chayce Jones dont look anything special with their kicks but I wouldn't mind the stats on their effectivenss. Reckon they'd be pretty good if you were counting.

EDIT Cook also described by some as the most skilfull player we've had.

Seed is a booming long and straight kick, which has matched our inside 50 strategy perfectly. But he's not that flash when it comes to hitting up teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chayce is an excellent kick. Occasionally waits too long, but I think that was just part of the confidence issue.

Conversely, holding onto the ball awaiting a viable option can be a sign of good confidence. Since being re-birthed, I don't think confidence is an issue. I just think he's a footballer that doesn't want to waste a disposal.

“Wayne is champing at the bit, he hasn’t played footy for two years. He looks really fit, he’s got great muscle definition.

“He featured in our match simulation on Wednesday before the players took four days off and he looked really good. He looked classy, composed … the Wayne-Milera of old.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have liked to keep Lynch as a SANFL Captain/Dev coach, but it's almost guaranteed with COVID he'll play games for North at some point, even if they did only put him on the list so his coaching role doesn't count on the soft cap.

Long term I think it's the best for him to get his start coaching outside the Crows though, new environment with new things to learn and new things to teach.

I would have liked to keep Lynch as a SANFL Captain/Dev coach, but it's almost guaranteed with COVID he'll play games for North at some point, even if they did only put him on the list so his coaching role doesn't count on the soft cap.

Long term I think it's the best for him to get his start coaching outside the Crows though, new environment with new things to learn and new things to teach.

If you're serious about coaching, best get out of our club, there's not any valuable IP that sees our coaches in demand. Hopefully that changes. He was offered a gig with us but with the Roos he had a chance at a list spot. You're a long time retired and you can understand why he was keen to keep going after a pretty handy return after injury.

whens the club trial match?.. not the one against west coast.. the one they normally hold before that game… that they normally stream live on the AFC website.
Do you mean an internal trial? They usually hold these a few weeks before the pre-season games. Back a while they used to play a SANFL team. I remember going to a few of these at Norwood Oval on a Friday night. They were good fun.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back