Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It begins!! Pre Season training for the 2022 season is almost upon us! Some guys getting in early already

WTF!

TT with 160kgs - surely this is a mock up. More than BBBF:

0C356BF8-7B45-4035-AD8F-8DD80C7B0594.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Just saw a video on Sloane's instagram of him and Thilthorpe doing a core workout together.

Love to see that.

Also saw on the club website that Thilthorpe was our 3rd highest km per game covered this year. Mental!

If Thilthorpe can build that core strength and improve his contested marking, to go with what is already a great engine, he is going to be unbelievable.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting that Sholl had the highest kms covered in a game, along with some other high km games, yet wasn't near the top of crows players on average.

Unless I read that wrong?

Did he get injured mid game or was he sub a lot and this was counted? Did he have some low km games?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Interesting that Sholl had the highest kms covered in a game, along with some other high km games, yet wasn't near the top of crows players on average.

Did he get injured mid game or was he sub a lot and this was counted? Did he have some low km games?
He just ran out of gas and/or confidence, half way through the season. The numbers he posted early in the season were astronomical, but he really came back to earth with a bang in the latter half.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Have you got the numbers?
No... but I can point you to his disposal counts, which are a reasonable representation of what was happening with his game - they fell off a cliff after R9.

From R1-9 he averaged 22 disposals per game, having 20+ disposals in 7 of 9 games.
From R10-22 he averaged 15 disposals per game, with only 1x 20+ disposal game.

I have excluded R13, when he was the unused medical sub, from those calculations (along with the games where he wasn't selected at all).
https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=3002&SeasonID=2021#ind

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Have you got the numbers?
OK... now I've found his Metres Gained, on the AFL's stats pro section:
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I1006136/Sholl-Lachlan

You'll need to go to the stats tab, scroll down to the "Round by Round" table, click on "Advanced Options", then select "Metres Gained" under the Disposals heading.

There are a few matches where his Metres Gained reads zero. Given that he had 15+ disposals in some of these games, I'm going to assume that the zero figure is incorrect, and exclude these matches from the averages.

From R1-9 he averaged 395m per game.
From R10-22 he averaged 225m per game.

That R10-22 has one massive outlier - R16 (vs Brisbane), when he had 28 disposals and gained 465m (185m more than any other game in this bracket). Without that game, his R10-22 average drops to 190m per game.

As I said... he fell off a cliff.

Last edited:

Aflprostats do count sub games as full ones so it is likely that it also impacted Sholls numbers.

It's most likely that he just cooked himself from all the running he was doing early (I'm pretty sure he was in the top 2-3 in the league for kms come round 9-10). You can see his TOG% drop from 90s to mid 60s as the year progresses. It took someone like Langdon 4-5 years to build the tank he has.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Aflprostats do count sub games as full ones so it is likely that it also impacted Sholls numbers.

It's most likely that he just cooked himself from all the running he was doing early (I'm pretty sure he was in the top 2-3 in the league for kms come round 9-10). You can see his TOG% drop from 90s to mid 60s as the year progresses. It took someone like Langdon 4-5 years to build the tank he has.
He only had 1x game as medisub. His numbers dropped dramatically even when this game is taken into account (i.e. removed from average calculations).

There's a massive difference, in both metres gained & disposals, between what he acieved in R1-9 (9 games played) and R10-22 (9 games + 1x medisub).

I'm certainly not writing him off. Far from it. I'm just pointing out how the stats show how he fell off a cliff in the second half of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back