Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He spent a hell of a lot of last year sitting around in a forward pocket. I'm not sure if that's an intentional plan to play him as a forward or if he didn't yet have the fitness to play midfield or if we were just too damn rusted on to the Sloane / Laird / Keays centre square combination. But whatever the reason, I'm confident he'll get a lot more of the ball if/when we start playing him nearer to the ball.
Sam is an endurance beast, always tested in the very top echelon re endurance testing right through his junior pathways. Pretty sure he did very well in the time trials both last year and this year probably one of thev reasons he was straight into the AFL.

I see we're at the mid-January "let's all severely overrate our list" phase of pre-season!
The "junior" component of our list looks pretty bloody decent to my eye, McAsey at this stage is really the only player on the main list with the ???'s still.

Drafted as an inside midfielder with exceptional endurance, played half forward/forward pocket, maybe, just maybe when he plays midfield that will take care of itself.
As I said... hopefully it will improve with time & experience. I'm a million miles away from writing him off!

As I said... hopefully it will improve with time & experience. I'm a million miles away from writing him off!
Time and experience playing in the position he was drafted to play not in a forward role in a very average performing team.
To my eye a lot of his forward playing time was spent more in a defensive forward role than that of a true forward as well.

Time and experience playing in the position he was drafted to play not in a forward role in a very average performing team.
To my eye a lot of his forward playing time was spent more in a defensive forward role than that of a true forward as well.
With time & experience comes the ability to spend more time in the guts... All good - we're in violent agreement.

At some point we are going to move on from Sloan and Laird and have to fit Schoenberg, Berry, Rachelle, Pedlar, Jones, Dawson, Cook, Sholl, McHenry, Hately, Taylor, Soligo, Keays and Crouch in the midfield.

They can't all play midfield, so some (and maybe Sloan and Laird) are going to have to play forward, back or in the SANFL.

It's going to be a good problem to have.

At some point we are going to move on from Sloan and Laird and have to fit Schoenberg, Berry, Rachelle, Pedlar, Jones, Dawson, Cook, Sholl, McHenry, Hately, Taylor, Soligo, Keays and Crouch in the midfield.

They can't all play midfield, so some (and maybe Sloan and Laird) are going to have to play forward, back or in the SANFL.

The good thing about most of the players you have mentioned, is they can play more than one position. We need to move on from the idea of having 3-4 guys in the midfield for so much of the game, and move towards having 8 guys rotating through there each game.

I hope that we transition Laird back to the backlines for the last few years of his career, with short bursts in the midfield when required. Sloane should play 70% half forward or half back this season with short stints on the ball.

Had a 18 tackle , 17 contested possession 200+ champion data point game in his draft year.
His ceiling is technically huge , with the tightening of the holding the ball / incorrect disposal rule this year Berry and Ned could turn games for us if played in the guts imo.
You forget that the rule only applies when we get tackled

Great problem to have. And if they all turn out good, we can cherry pick who we like and Trade some to stay relevant in future drafts or for players in needed positions.

In recent years our preseason has followed a similar pattern.

Don’t we always always overrate our list in January?

Then we have a group of players that are sent for surgery in early February.

This is followed by poor trial match form and more injuries. By Round One this Board is reclaimed by the moon howlers and the predictions of a Number One draft pick are everywhere 🥺.

This is followed by poor trial match form and more injuries. By Round One this Board is reclaimed by the moon howlers and the predictions of a Number One draft pick are everywhere 🥺.
The Moon Howlers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I hated it when we got smashed by the grand finalists in Round 1 last year and everyone was doom and gloom 🙄

#MAESTROthings

Jesus. If Sam Berry's ceiling is peak Paul Chapman then he will most certainly be our cream.

I think you have forgotten how damn good Peak Paul Chapman was.

Best and Fairest winner, Top 5 B&F during a premiership year, Dual All Australian, Norm Smith Medalist, top 10 Brownlow finish.

If he played at Adelaide with his career he would be 5th most games, 3rd most goals, 6th most Brownlow votes.
Nah mate, I remember all too well. Hence the begrudging compliment.

I bloody loved Paul Chapman as a player (except against us, obviously). He and Steve Johnson were my favourite players from that dominant Geelong era.
I loved Stevie J, but I used to strongly dislike Paul Chapman. But only because he was so damn good and always seemed to turn it on against us! Felt like Stevie was an awesome player, but I don't remember him burning us that often, which is probably why I liked him more.

I'm genuinely concerned we will do this far too late and impact on the development of the guys we have. It's one thing to draft them, it's another to give them real opportunities. If we aren't smart about it and Crouch, Laird, Keays and Sloane take all the midfield minutes this year, we will be doing ourselves a disservice.

Does anyone have a clear picture of what we are suppose to be doing with Josh Worrell this season?

2 years in and I still have no idea what position he's meant to be playing at AFL level, or who he's spot he's trying to take.
I don't know where he fits either. His role appears to be an intercept defender but he's taller than the other guys in that role. He has the kind of height you'd expect in a KPD. He's 194cm which puts him close to guys like Butts (198cm), Murray (194cm) and Borlase (192cm).

Doesn't help that the only game he played was in the wet where conditions were dreadful for intercept players.

I'm genuinely concerned we will do this far too late and impact on the development of the guys we have. It's one thing to draft them, it's another to give them real opportunities. If we aren't smart about it and Crouch, Laird, Keays and Sloane take all the midfield minutes this year, we will be doing ourselves a disservice.
Oh, we will undoubtedly give Crouch, Keays, Sloane and Laird more midfield time than the fans want.

But I feel (hope) that the current coaching group do want to at least play emerging players. Pretty much every emerging player got a go last year and the year before. Thilthorpe (14), Berry (17), McHenry (21), Sholl (19), Murray (13) and Rowe (19) all got significant games in 2021. Jones (15) was persisted with and tried in different roles until they found one to fit. Schoenberg started to get significant minutes in the midfield.

Yes, we would like to run our future midfielders through the midfield more. But they need the bigger bodies/ tanks around them so that they don't get wiped off the park (which is terrible development). The kids can also play like a midfielder (just without centre bounce attendance) at half back or half forward, which I think is great experience. Schoenberg should also get more midfield minutes this year again, and Crouch and Keays will still be part of our midfield when we are contending again.

I also don't mind the culture of having to earn your spot. The best performed of the kids get a run, while the rest get to be be the best mids in the SANFL team up against far bigger and stronger midfield units.

COVID should also help the kids get game time, but unfortunately I think Sloane has already had it, so won't be the one making way.

Oh, we will undoubtedly give Crouch, Keays, Sloane and Laird more midfield time than the fans want.

But I feel (hope) that the current coaching group do want to at least play emerging players. Pretty much every emerging player got a go last year and the year before. Thilthorpe (14), Berry (17), McHenry (21), Sholl (19), Murray (13) and Rowe (19) all got significant games in 2021. Jones (15) was persisted with and tried in different roles until they found one to fit. Schoenberg started to get significant minutes in the midfield.

Yes, we would like to run our future midfielders through the midfield more. But they need the bigger bodies/ tanks around them so that they don't get wiped off the park (which is terrible development). The kids can also play like a midfielder (just without centre bounce attendance) at half back or half forward, which I think is great experience. Schoenberg should also get more midfield minutes this year again, and Crouch and Keays will still be part of our midfield when we are contending again.

I also don't mind the culture of having to earn your spot. The best performed of the kids get a run, while the rest get to be be the best mids in the SANFL team up against far bigger and stronger midfield units.

COVID should also help the kids get game time, but unfortunately I think Sloane has already had it, so won't be the one making way.
I dont mind a culture of earning your spot either… as long as getting 25-40 possessions a game but kicking most of them in the air in a rushed hope and doing bugger all damage to the opposition for most of the game doesnt equate to “earning your spot”..

If what we’ve seen from Laird, keays and sloane over the past couple of seasons has “earnt them their spot” then we need to adjust the clubs KPI’s values…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back