Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone concerned by the Pedlar injuries this early in his career? His shoulders look more taped than Porps’ last season.

I fear we aren’t going to see the best of him due to his body not being able
To handle the rigours of AFL
If Pedlar had no injury problems he would have been out of our reach in the draft. The club said when he was drafted that it would take some time for him to reach an AFL level of health and fitness. It was a similar story with McPherson who looked a total bust in the first two years on our list.

There is a reasonable chance he will be a bust but if he does overcome his injuries he could be an A grader. IMHO it is worth a roll of the dice.

Is anyone concerned by the Pedlar injuries this early in his career? His shoulders look more taped than Porps’ last season.

I fear we aren’t going to see the best of him due to his body not being able
To handle the rigours of AFL

Massive concern IMO.

He had a shoulder reconstruction in 2019. He missed the end of 2020 with a knee injury.

When he got to the club the shoulder injury was still lingering. He then struggled with groin soreness and an abdominal strain in the preseason of 2021, but managed to make it to midseason and get 2 games for us.

He then hurt his ankle in round 16 in an SANFL game that ruled him out for the rest of the season. A month later he underwent his second shoulder reconstruction.

If Pedlar had no injury problems he would have been out of our reach in the draft. The club said when he was drafted that it would take some time for him to reach an AFL level of health and fitness. It was a similar story with McPherson who looked a total bust in the first two years on our list.

There is a reasonable chance he will be a bust but if he does overcome his injuries he could be an A grader. IMHO it is worth a roll of the dice.

If my grandma had wheels - she would have been a bike.

What worries me is that we reached at pick 11 to grab him. Was widely touted as a 2nd rounder.

Maybe that would have been a good thing considering he has had 2 shoulder reconstructions in the past 2 and a half years.

Very concerning injury history.
Adelaide would have done full medical on Pedlar, who was already injured with a groin IIRC , b4 he was Drafted …… so it’s not an issue

Why are people panicking already in a players …. well, it’s not even his 2nd year yet …. talk about a bunch of pessimists

Adelaide would have done full medical on Pedlar, who was already injured with a groin IIRC , b4 he was Drafted …… so it’s not an issue

Why are people panicking already in a players …. well, it’s not even his 2nd year yet …. talk about a bunch of pessimists
Given our recent first round selections, we need Pedlar to become an elite mid. Bruhn and Powell were taken directly after him and both look the goods.

Panicking isn't the correct word.

Draft picks are a lottery. It's hard enough to make it with a clean bill of health.

Think it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned about a player having 2 shoulder reconstructions, an abdominal strain, groin "soreness" and a season ending ankle injury all within 3 years.

Hopefully his upside is high enough to make the risk worthwhile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my grandma had wheels - she would have been a bike.

What worries me is that we reached at pick 11 to grab him. Was widely touted as a 2nd rounder.
Incorrect.

Was always going 1st round, if we didn't take him there he'd be running around in an orange guernsey.

All the pre-draft rankings are meaningless and make believe. In the end its all based off whispers in the industry of who rates who where. Journalists not knowing how good Pedler is has nothing to do with anything.

Well yeah they are meaningless - all sports related predictions are pretty much worthless.

I would argue that drafting professional athletes is one of the most imprecise arts there is, especially once you get past the top 2-3 players.

The recruiters don't know much more than the Journo's IMO.

Well yeah they are meaningless - all sports related predictions are pretty much worthless.

I would argue that drafting professional athletes is one of the most imprecise arts there is, especially once you get past the top 2-3 players.

The recruiters don't know much more than the Journo's IMO.
Then your opinion is absolute crap.

All the pre-draft rankings are meaningless and make believe. In the end its all based off whispers in the industry of who rates who where. Journalists not knowing how good Pedler is has nothing to do with anything.
Obviously the people that seem to think Luke Pedlar wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick didn't watch his early season games for the Bays, absolutely dominant before injury.

Incorrect.

Was always going 1st round, if we didn't take him there he'd be running around in an orange guernsey.

Fair enough. Reading back on several draft "experts" - he was never really discussed as a top 20 pick throughout the draft year. Obviously the club rated him as a first rounder rumors are that GWS and Freo wanted him as well.
Then your opinion is absolute crap.

Why? I haven't knocked the kid at all.

People saying if he didn't get injured we wouldn't have been able to get him at pick 11. Then draft experts saying they didn't think he was top 20 and one of the worries about him was his durability. Then in his first season with us he deals with an abdominal strain, groin soreness, season ending ankle injury and a 2nd shoulder reconstruction.

Fair enough. Reading back on several draft "experts" - he was never really discussed as a top 20 pick throughout the draft year. Obviously the club rated him as a first rounder rumors are that GWS and Freo wanted him as well.

Why? I haven't knocked the kid at all.

People saying if he didn't get injured we wouldn't have been able to get him at pick 11. Then draft experts saying they didn't think he was top 20 and one of the worries about him was his durability. Then in his first season with us he deals with an abdominal strain, groin soreness, season ending ankle injury and a 2nd shoulder reconstruction.
Draft eggspurts....The Draft Experts are the Club Head recruiters.

How many of the draft eggspurts actually saw him play live?

Massive concern IMO.

He had a shoulder reconstruction in 2019. He missed the end of 2020 with a knee injury.

When he got to the club the shoulder injury was still lingering. He then struggled with groin soreness and an abdominal strain in the preseason of 2021, but managed to make it to midseason and get 2 games for us.

He then hurt his ankle in round 16 in an SANFL game that ruled him out for the rest of the season. A month later he underwent his second shoulder reconstruction.
I am not concerned yet, and I don't think the ankle injury should be grouped with the other injuries below as something that we should be worried about. The ankle injury could happen to anyone and is nothing to do with his body.

I have read multiple times that it sometimes takes these kids 3-4 years on an AFL list before their body is at a point where it can handle the pressure of AFL footy. He is only in his 2nd pre-season now. I think by the start of 2023 season, after he has completed his 3rd full pre-season, he will be in a much better position to string some games together and start to show what he is capable of. I feel as though Pedlar is one we need to be patient with, but will be worth it if it all comes together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back