Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This year is the test re deepened midfield. There were legitimate reasons to not do it last year, even if we'd wanted to. But if I had to bet at evens, my money is on a 4 man midfield. 4 guys playing 100% of their time as a stoppage mid. I hope I'm wrong, but we've been doing it so long, it can't be by accident.
I’m hearing you… I’m just hoping that 4 man midfield isnt centred around 4 blokes named Keays, Sloane, crouch and laird!…

This year is the test re deepened midfield. There were legitimate reasons to not do it last year, even if we'd wanted to. But if I had to bet at evens, my money is on a 4 man midfield. 4 guys playing 100% of their time as a stoppage mid. I hope I'm wrong, but we've been doing it so long, it can't be by accident.
I agree. A (90%) 4 man midfield is a choice, not a necessity. It also means our mids are more fatigued than the 6 to 8 man midfields they come up against.

Someone made the point earlier that we have a midfield that can't play in other positions and that's why they spend so much time there. But that's really only true of Sloan (and Crouch when he comes back), and only because we don't play him anywhere else.

Laird can clearly play defence. Keays was a mid-fwd before we got him (and in his first year with us). Schoenberg (nearly equal CBAs by end of year) played a lot of half forward to start the year.

To be fair, there is already some positive signs. Talk is Dawson will play some inside minutes and Schoenberg was built into the role last year. Berry got some (limited) opportunities last year (this year's Schoenberg?).

If Sloan and Crouch play 20% of their time on field not on ball, I'll be happy. That will give our next gen mids some decent exposure and allow our midfield structure to start to move to a true 6 to 8 man midfield.

So we're not going to Perth for the preseason trial, West Coast could come here but they'll probably stay over there as long as possible. So I'm guessing we'll just play Port (who were penciled in to play Freo in their trial) in many different formats again?

No one will be going to WA.

I read Lachie Jones is training with the midfield group.....I always thought that would be the long game with him, size, athleticism and brute strength very suited to midfield.
I remember reading a post from you saying he would be able to move into the midfield.

Maybe a crazy thought, but do you think McPherson has the traits to become a midfielder?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember reading a post from you saying he would be able to move into the midfield.

Maybe a crazy thought, but do you think McPherson has the traits to become a midfielder?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope, I don't even think he's any certainty to be on our list in 2 or 3 years. If Hinge gets his body right I can see him putting big pressure on McPherson's spot as well.

Nope, I don't even think he's any certainty to be on our list in 2 or 3 years. If Hinge gets his body right I can see him putting big pressure on McPherson's spot as well.
I agree. If he does a reasonable job this year, plays 15 or so games, I'd be putting up for trade while he's at max value.

Big if though

I read Lachie Jones is training with the midfield group.....I always thought that would be the long game with him, size, athleticism and brute strength very suited to midfield.
Yeah but this is Port we’re talking about they’ll either break his body even more or most likely just turn him into a Powell-Pepper pig clone given their recent youth development history

Yeah but this is Port we’re talking about they’ll either break his body even more or most likely just turn him into a Powell-Pepper pig clone given their recent youth development history
Disagree, watched a lot of Lachie Jones, he'll be one hell of a midfielder......far more talent and way more skilled than SPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree, watched a lot of Lachie Jones, he'll be one hell of a midfielder......far more talent and way more skilled than SPP.
Straight line runner, very little agility

McPherson provided some good run and carry on a few of the late games last year, which if I remember correctly, he was known for in his junior days (rather than a lockdown defender). Also gave beautiful delivery i50. I'm quite bullish on him given he's only 22/23 (looks 30).
Yep, given he came back from sucking quite well, that would give him confidence. I like him, he’s a footballer with a calm head and decent skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back