The 2022 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re actually 7th in the comp for I50 tackles, but you’d imagine a lot of that is tackles around the stoppages. We’re 16th in the comp for Oppo metres gained, so there’s no a lot of pressure going out defensively from our F50

Looking at some of the stats…

I wouldn’t worry too much about DE %, and Kicking Efficiency. Collingwood a kick away from a GF and were dead last in the comp this year for KE, and 2nd last DE

Some stats of ours that point to work rate, having a very young list, etc

Uncontested Possessions - 15th
Marks Inside 50 per entry - 15th
Marks on Lead - 17th
Intercept marks -18th
Oppo Inside 50’s - 14th
Oppo tackles in our D50 - 17th
Bounces - 18th (we avg 2.3 per game???)
Defensive 1-1 - 1st (meaning we leave our defenders exposed the most)
Centre Clearances - 14th
Metres gained - 14th

Our 1%, Pressure Acts, tackles, stoppage clearance, and even D50 1-1 loss rate stats are all pretty good. I’ve looked at these stats today and they tell me a few things.

We’re 18th for avg games played, and 18th for ave age, and a lot of the stats we’re not doing great in are stats that will improve with experience.

My main worries are:
  • Centre Clearances. Considering we’re doing well with stoppage clearances, it really points to ROB’s ruck craft at the bounce
  • Metres Gained, Bounces and uncontested possessions. Tells me we’re lacking in run all over the ground, both in terms of presenting options, work rate, and taking on the game itself, particularly from the HB. Dawson is great and pinpointing a pass, but it’s the likes of Hamill that we’re looking to in terms of generating run from the backline. We’re really missing this.
  • Oppo tackles inside our D50. Being 17th speaks to the amount of times it’s in there, but also general speed and cohesion on getting it out, and our players giving an option further up the ground to keep it out of our D50.
  • Intercept Marks. We’re dead last in the comp. The top teams? Melb, Pies, Geel, Richmond. We HAVE to start asking our players to use manic work rate to get to the marking contest, and to mark instead of spoiling. Bring the game back on our terms instead of continuous stoppages.

After watching finals, and after going through the season stats, I can see why we’re prioritising ‘defence first’ footy, promoting speed and two-way runners, but we still have a long way to go in terms of experience and getting that right things done repetitively. The game has turned into Speed, speed, speed, and we’re fairly slow at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

You gotta start somewhere and getting your basics right then incrementally expanding from there seems like a decent way to go. Exposing our defenders to so much 1:1 situation now will be beneficial later.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re actually 7th in the comp for I50 tackles, but you’d imagine a lot of that is tackles around the stoppages. We’re 16th in the comp for Oppo metres gained, so there’s no a lot of pressure going out defensively from our F50

Looking at some of the stats…

I wouldn’t worry too much about DE %, and Kicking Efficiency. Collingwood a kick away from a GF and were dead last in the comp this year for KE, and 2nd last DE

Some stats of ours that point to work rate, having a very young list, etc

Uncontested Possessions - 15th
Marks Inside 50 per entry - 15th
Marks on Lead - 17th
Intercept marks -18th
Oppo Inside 50’s - 14th
Oppo tackles in our D50 - 17th
Bounces - 18th (we avg 2.3 per game???)
Defensive 1-1 - 1st (meaning we leave our defenders exposed the most)
Centre Clearances - 14th
Metres gained - 14th

Our 1%, Pressure Acts, tackles, stoppage clearance, and even D50 1-1 loss rate stats are all pretty good. I’ve looked at these stats today and they tell me a few things.

We’re 18th for avg games played, and 18th for ave age, and a lot of the stats we’re not doing great in are stats that will improve with experience.

My main worries are:
  • Centre Clearances. Considering we’re doing well with stoppage clearances, it really points to ROB’s ruck craft at the bounce
  • Metres Gained, Bounces and uncontested possessions. Tells me we’re lacking in run all over the ground, both in terms of presenting options, work rate, and taking on the game itself, particularly from the HB. Dawson is great and pinpointing a pass, but it’s the likes of Hamill that we’re looking to in terms of generating run from the backline. We’re really missing this.
  • Oppo tackles inside our D50. Being 17th speaks to the amount of times it’s in there, but also general speed and cohesion on getting it out, and our players giving an option further up the ground to keep it out of our D50.
  • Intercept Marks. We’re dead last in the comp. The top teams? Melb, Pies, Geel, Richmond. We HAVE to start asking our players to use manic work rate to get to the marking contest, and to mark instead of spoiling. Bring the game back on our terms instead of continuous stoppages.

After watching finals, and after going through the season stats, I can see why we’re prioritising ‘defence first’ footy, promoting speed and two-way runners, but we still have a long way to go in terms of experience and getting that right things done repetitively. The game has turned into Speed, speed, speed, and we’re fairly slow at the moment.

Your second on the list of main worries is where we really need to improve. We don’t really have much run and carry. Seed was obviously a big loss there and even Sholl had previously provided some of that before falling out of favour. Hamill can , Jones does a bit but most others from the back half prefer to kick - Smith, Hinge and even Dawson

Hopefully Sholl finds his feet, Milera lifts and we start to get some run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back