worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
With no finals for the Bulldogs to play, I thought I'd create a thread relating to some better times.

How many of you are old enough to remember the $21,000 incentive offered to Footscray to win its final three games of 1983? The money was put up by club sponsor Eastcoast Jeans. Footscray could not make the finals by the time round 20 began, but 1983 had seen a marked on field improvement from the club. Having been wooden spooners with only three wins in 1982, 1983 had seen Footscray in the final five at three different stages throughout the season. I was only 14 at the time and can’t recall if there was a specific reason Eastcoast thought it would be beneficial to offer the incentive, or whether they simply thought it would be a piece of motivational fun and a good PR exercise.

The campaign nearly came unstuck during the first quarter of those final three matches. We played Fitzroy, who were second the ladder, at the Western Oval. Apart from hoping to win the $21,000, of particular interest was when former Bulldog Bernie Quinlan would kick his 100th goal of the season. He went into this match with 95 majors, and most people expected him to reach the ton some time during this encounter.

At quarter time the Roys had kicked 9.3 (57) and we trailed by 45 points. A few minutes into the second term and Fitzroy had kicked inaccurately to extend their lead to 48. If one or two of those scores had been goals, who knows whether we would have come back. Yet come back we did, although we still trailed by 27 at the main break. Fitzroy had kicked 2.10 for the quarter to our 6.4.

Fitzroy had use of a strong wind for the third term, but somehow Footscray used their home ground better than their opponent to score 4 goals to 1 to reduce the margin to only 9 points at three quarter time.

We began the final term well but kicked four behinds in the opening nine minutes to still be behind. Eventually we got our act together and kicked 7 goals to 2 to win by 26 points. Bernie Quinlan finished on 98 goals and had to wait another week to crack the century.

Our next game saw a similar situation unfold against St. Kilda. The Saints were the bottom team but we were playing them at Moorabbin. After an even first quarter, Footscray trailed by 35 points at half time. We stayed with St. Kilda for most of the third term but couldn’t make any inroads into the half time deficit. In time on we were 45 points down until a late goal made the margin 39 points at the last change. Footscray outplayed their hosts during the final quarter and had kicked 6.1 to 0.4 just before time on. Simon Beasley kicked a goal which levelled the scores but Silvio Foschini kicked the Saints’ first goal for the quarter to put St. Kilda in front again. The Bulldogs levelled again a minute later when former Fitzroy player Chris Hansen kicked a 50 metre goal. Four minutes went by with scores level until Ian Williams received a pass standing alone in the forward line to win the game with the last kick of the day.

Our final game was back at the Western Oval versus Sydney, who were second bottom. After Sydney got away to a ten point lead at quarter time, Footscray kicked 7.6 to 1.1 in the second term to establish a 31 point lead at the main break. We were not really challenged from there on as we managed a 42 point winning margin to take the sponsor’s cash. We finished in seventh position with 10 victories, our best showing in seven years. Outside the ground there was a petition in which fans were being asked to show their support for Ian Hampshire to continue as coach for 1984. Of course, the position was given to Mick Malthouse, and our improved form of 1983 continued for most of Mick’s tenure. Only in Mick’s final season of 1989 did we lose more games than we won.

How many of you are old enough to remember the $21,000 incentive offered to Footscray to win its final three games of 1983? The money was put up by club sponsor Eastcoast Jeans. Footscray could not make the finals by the time round 20 began, but 1983 had seen a marked on field improvement from the club. Having been wooden spooners with only three wins in 1982, 1983 had seen Footscray in the final five at three different stages throughout the season. I was only 14 at the time and can’t recall if there was a specific reason Eastcoast thought it would be beneficial to offer the incentive, or whether they simply thought it would be a piece of motivational fun and a good PR exercise.

Me and I was at the Roys and Saints games. Actually, the Roys game was a bit of a blur for the 2nd half as I was 15 and had managed to polish off a bottle of Bundy on the Hawkins wing by half time. Never been able to even smell the stuff since. Missed the last game for some reason, probably as nobody to go with (didn't always stop me) and I had to train it from Mordialloc

With no finals for the Bulldogs to play, I thought I'd create a thread relating to some better times.

The campaign nearly came unstuck during the first quarter of those final three matches. We played Fitzroy, who were second the ladder, at the Western Oval. Apart from hoping to win the $21,000, of particular interest was when former Bulldog Bernie Quinlan would kick his 100th goal of the season. He went into this match with 95 majors, and most people expected him to reach the ton some time during this encounter.

At quarter time the Roys had kicked 9.3 (57) and we trailed by 45 points. A few minutes into the second term and Fitzroy had kicked inaccurately to extend their lead to 48. If one or two of those scores had been goals, who knows whether we would have come back. Yet come back we did, although we still trailed by 27 at the main break. Fitzroy had kicked 2.10 for the quarter to our 6.4.

Fitzroy had use of a strong wind for the third term, but somehow Footscray used their home ground better than their opponent to score 4 goals to 1 to reduce the margin to only 9 points at three quarter time.

We began the final term well but kicked four behinds in the opening nine minutes to still be behind. Eventually we got our act together and kicked 7 goals to 2 to win by 26 points. Bernie Quinlan finished on 98 goals and had to wait another week to crack the century.

Our next game saw a similar situation unfold against St. Kilda. The Saints were the bottom team but we were playing them at Moorabbin. After an even first quarter, Footscray trailed by 35 points at half time. We stayed with St. Kilda for most of the third term but couldn’t make any inroads into the half time deficit. In time on we were 45 points down until a late goal made the margin 39 points at the last change. Footscray outplayed their hosts during the final quarter and had kicked 6.1 to 0.4 just before time on. Simon Beasley kicked a goal which levelled the scores but Silvio Foschini kicked the Saints’ first goal for the quarter to put St. Kilda in front again. The Bulldogs levelled again a minute later when former Fitzroy player Chris Hansen kicked a 50 metre goal. Four minutes went by with scores level until Ian Williams received a pass standing alone in the forward line to win the game with the last kick of the day.

Our final game was back at the Western Oval versus Sydney, who were second bottom. After Sydney got away to a ten point lead at quarter time, Footscray kicked 7.6 to 1.1 in the second term to establish a 31 point lead at the main break. We were not really challenged from there on as we managed a 42 point winning margin to take the sponsor’s cash. We finished in seventh position with 10 victories, our best showing in seven years. Outside the ground there was a petition in which fans were being asked to show their support for Ian Hampshire to continue as coach for 1984. Of course, the position was given to Mick Malthouse, and our improved form of 1983 continued for most of Mick’s tenure. Only in Mick’s final season of 1989 did we lose more games than we won.
Great, nice bit of history

Appropriate thing to bring up based Bluey Hampshire’s passing in the last 24 hours or so.
I started going to the Footy in 1981, and 83 was the first year when there was any hope at all.
The excitement early in the year was immense, when they beat Hawthorn and Carlton from memory.

Does the club know? Nothing mentioned on the app that i can see.
Mentioned on Dogs Facebook page. Stevo has also tweeted about it. I am sure the club knows.
You are right re the club not putting anything on the website/app. Surprising and a bit disappointing.

Perhaps it is run by under 30s who’d have no idea who he is.

Very sad about Bluey. A. much loved Bulldog (and Cat). Best wishes to all.

He took over a complete shambles in 1982 and got us back on track. The 3 matches discussed in the op would've been the last 3 he ever coached. Not many go out winning their last 3 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back