List Mgmt. The 24 Out Of Contract Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an ETA on when the list sizes for 2021 will be finalised? Makes it trickier to do end of season meetings with players with this figure up in the air.
Mind you given recent performances this might be Luffy and Brady on Friday...

View attachment 962625
To my knowledge its still being negotiated by the AFL and AFLPA. Must be pretty s**t for list managers and players not knowing what's happening considering a majority of the league will be having exit meetings this week.

Is there an ETA on when the list sizes for 2021 will be finalised? Makes it trickier to do end of season meetings with players with this figure up in the air.
Mind you given recent performances this might be Luffy and Brady on Friday...

View attachment 962625

The last credible guesstimation I read was 38 + 2 rookies + 2 Cat B rookies.

Nothing official yet, just going off NR's post.

Ok so been trying to find where I read it.... 19 left is from Shaw's year from hell report which is on the nm app.... now the 5 I took from remembering who I had seen re-signed... but agree now can't find ww... but if it isn't ww who is the fifth then

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok so been trying to find where I read it.... 19 left is from Shaw's year from hell report which is on the nm app.... now the 5 I took from remembering who I had seen re-signed... but agree now can't find ww... but if it isn't ww who is the fifth then

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was only ever 23. Bonar should already be contracted for next year.

You don't have to go via draft for delisted free agency like kyron is. Just pick them up in the offseason like we did for Josh walker last year. Delisted free agency begins the day after the national draft ends.

Not sure that's right... Brisbane chose to delist Walker, making him a DFA and therefore available outside of the draft, whereas if we want to keep Hayden and he chooses not to sign with us, he's not a DFA (per the AFL website: "players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent"). The fact we delisted Hayden a couple of years back in order to re-rookie him doesn't affect that; you don't become a perpetual DFA every time you're out of contract just because you got cut from a list once ages ago, surely? Would make a mockery of the whole system for it to work like that.

AFL rules are rarely as logical as the above would be, and I don't tend to embroil myself in trade/draft stuff nearly as much as most do, so I could easily be wrong about how it all works. They're just rumours at the moment anyway, ideally there's nothing to them as I thought Hayden's trajectory earlier this season was promising and I'd like to see him continue to make a place for himself in our 22 next year. But as I understand it, if we want him on the list, then his choices are to sign with us or walk to the draft.

Pittard’s situation is interesting. Had a terrific 2019. I thought he was elevated into the leadership group at the start of the year. Has had a very ordinary season, played out of position and not played for a number of weeks. Has he been told he is safe for next year and to rest up or has he been told thanks but it’s all over? Same story could go for Majak.

Pittard’s situation is interesting. Had a terrific 2019. I thought he was elevated into the leadership group at the start of the year. Has had a very ordinary season, played out of position and not played for a number of weeks. Has he been told he is safe for next year and to rest up or has he been told thanks but it’s all over? Same story could go for Majak.
It will be a massive fall from grace if so. Loved what Pittard brought in 2019. Can’t believe it went downhill so fast.

Mick McGuane (great analyst ) was very, critical of him during the season. I didn’t think he was Robinson Crusoe in the performance department but what would I know 🤷‍♂️

At a time when ball use out of D50 is such a critical part of the modern game, we can afford to carry defenders that butcher the ball.

Pittard does some great things from an intercept perspective, but the baggage of his ball use is just not conducive to a contending side.

At a time when ball use out of D50 is such a critical part of the modern game, we can afford to carry defenders that butcher the ball.

Pittard does some great things from an intercept perspective, but the baggage of his ball use is just not conducive to a contending side.
Rhyce may have stamped his papers, but if it were up to me I'd be keeping him. Pittard's not a safe player. He pulls the trigger.. Young, inexperienced coaches prefer safe players because they're basically insecure. Exhibit A - Brad Scott. Safe players might win you games but they generally won't win you flags. Secure coaches like Pagan loved blokes like Pittard. Might be something in that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of rumour on KH nothing concrete.
He has said before he wants to be a one club player, and respects Rhyce, he's a pretty loyal fella so fingers crossed.
Things can change pretty quickly that said. We've had a good record retaining interstate players but there's always a risk in drafting them. One of the things that is rarely spoken about is how advantaged the WA and SA clubs are, with only two teams to choose from in each state, with the go home factor. Another reason why I'd be taking Hollands or Phillips with our first pick.

I think Pittard was set for a contract until that blunder where he gave away the free kick after the 3rd? quarter siren. Then he seems to have fallen out of favour hard with the coaches and staff.

I think Pittard was set for a contract until that blunder where he gave away the free kick after the 3rd? quarter siren. Then he seems to have fallen out of favour hard with the coaches and staff.
Surely not. Any decent ump would have berated Murphy for flopping, but there are no decent umps.

Things can change pretty quickly that said. We've had a good record retaining interstate players but there's always a risk in drafting them. One of the things that is rarely spoken about is how advantaged the WA and SA clubs are, with only two teams to choose from in each state, with the go home factor. Another reason why I'd be taking Hollands or Phillips with our first pick.

How many WA or SA kids actually go home from Vic clubs nowadays?

How many WA or SA kids actually go home from Vic clubs nowadays?

Not too many talented Vic kids leave WA either.

Have you ever tried to carry Hungry Jacks franchise 2700 kms?

Not many I expect.

Off the top of my head, Kelly, who was always a flight risk and Burton, who didn’t seek a trade. Hawthorn punted him to get Wingard. I’m sure there’s more. Going all the way back to Josh Kennedy, even he didn’t want to leave Carlton at the time.

Rory Lobb? There’s Cam McCarthy and Hogan, but they had issues going on outside footy.

True. Not sure why any player would want to leave WC to be honest.

SA is a different story it seems.

Hey... they have churches, Camrys and Koch...

Hang on a minute!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back