The 2nd level at Etihad - a blight on the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok sorry if this has been covered before or others don't feel the same way. And yes being a Melbourne supporter I am a rare visitor to Etihad but I think the seating set up is a complete farce.

But 31,000 people at last nights game. And a good percentage (at least 10,000) were Melbourne fans. Melbourne filled their cheer squad end, St Kilda actually a little thin in their cheer squad end but then packed a lot of the first level with their reserved members. Plenty of others sitting up on the third level particularly around the wings supporting both teams. But the second level had pretty much tumbleweeds.

I understand that the medallion club contributes significant income for Etihad but surely there is a better way.

Imagine going to the movies and not being able to sit in the middle section of the theatre as it's kept clear for VIP's who never come. Or going to a music concert and having a VIP section in the front 5 rows with 3 people in it.

For low drawing games - which will be a lot of North, St Kilda and WB games, there has to be a way for the fans to get access to at least some of the best seats. It's a slap on the face to have them all empty whilst you sit on the top level.

Is there not some way for medallion club and other reserved 2nd level seats to be reallocated if not claimed by a certain time frame (say Thursday 5pm) and then sold off as a reasonable price general admission?

More people closer to the action would provide better atmosphere for the game, better enjoyment for the fans and may in turn increase crowds.

As an AFL member, this is the reason 99% of the neutral games I go to are there. And I buy food, and I buy beers...

I can get good seating, level 2 (N, P) and watch a good game.

There are good games at Ethid, but the AFL members section (level 1) is a joke and I cant access the good seats. So I just dont go.

It can be easily solved - the stadium is NOT returning great returns from what I believe. They need to tweak it. Level 2 is never full, as it never realistically can be under the current arrangement.

Medallion and Access One members should have a date by which to confirm attendance - sat the Wednesday before the game. Then the unused tickets go on sale to AFL members as an upgrade, but not $7 say $25. Give an incentive for the best seats. The AFL membership should continue to be the premium ticket in town - heck even give club support of the teams playing the first 2-3 hours to get in, then open it up like the GF. Even offer $5/$10 per seat back to the seat holder if their ticket is re-sold. Times that by a stack of games and it turns into real money soon enough.

Everybody wins.

I sat in the Medallion club once - A friend had special tickets through his work -

It was a bit of a novelty sitting in some pretty good seats, but I nearly didn't get in because of the state of my shoes, and even after getting past that hurdle, I had some numpty behind me getting annoyed that I was too loud (! ? )

Feel way more comfortable up in the nosebleeds.. It's where I tend to be :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in short, you want to sit in the best seats but pay f**k all for them.

Righty-o.
No I want a bunch of the EMPTY best seats to be filled. Make them 5 dollars more than third level seats or 10, not 20 or 30.

These seats are EMPTY people. You got the movies it's first in best dressed whoever booked. You get on a plane it's 80% economy with only a few business seats and first class seats, they don't fill half the plain with first class seats no one will buy. Etihad has an abundance, I'd say last night at least 5,000 maybe even 8,000 odd seats that were vacant on the second level.

Is there not a simple way to redistribute these to fill them. I paid $25 general admin last night. MCC gives me access one second level for $43, that's not worth it for me. Other second level for non MCC are more.

I'm not suggesting a way to screw Etihad, I just think it's bad for business and really bad for clubs who play there to have all the best seats vacant. I'm surprised more people don't at least agree with that.

This has stadium forum written all over. Mods working hard
If any of North, St Kilda or WB go broke over the next 10 years or are forced to merge they will look back and blame the stadium deal at Etihad. And rightly they aren't getting the dollar value per fan who attends.

But sometimes you have to look at root cause for why people don't attend. Marching up flights of stairs to the top level whilst huge chunks of seats sit vacant and priced at unreasonable amounts may well be a reason.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will stick up for and justify the actions of the corporates who continue to gouge money from them at every turn.
How is it gouging? They have available perfectly affordable seats for those who want them. Whilst those who want to pay a bit more for better seats can do that too. Free market yo.

I'm not suggesting a way to screw Etihad, I just think it's bad for business and really bad for clubs who play there to have all the best seats vacant. I'm surprised more people don't at least agree with that.
I'm sure the Etihad management would love to hear your informed insight into the best price structure for their business. I bet they've never even thought of it before.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will stick up for and justify the actions of the corporates who continue to gouge money from them at every turn.
AFL is incredibly cheap compared to most sporting events around the world and there's nothing wrong with the GA seats. If you don't want to pay for the expensive seats you really don't have to... Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that just want to stick their hands out and be given things for free.

I sat in the Medallion club once - A friend had special tickets through his work -

It was a bit of a novelty sitting in some pretty good seats, but I nearly didn't get in because of the state of my shoes, and even after getting past that hurdle, I had some numpty behind me getting annoyed that I was too loud (! ? )

Feel way more comfortable up in the nosebleeds.. It's where I tend to be :thumbsu:
I sat in Medallion for the first time on opening night this year for the Freo/Pies game and had much the same experience. Seats were brilliant but most of the people sitting around us looked bothered that anyone would want to make some noise at the footy. I'll stick with the rabble from now on, we're a lot more fun.

I'm sure the Etihad management would love to hear your informed insight into the best price structure for their business. I bet they've never even thought of it before.
Does Ian Collins still run the place? This is the stadium we are talking about that couldn't grow grass for most of the first 10 years of it's existence. When they finally got it right they held a concert and stuffed it up again.

People continue to give businesses too much credit. It's a stadium that hosts 45 games of AFL (the third largest attendance sport in the world behind NFL and Bundesliga) in the sporting capital of the world. Alan Joyce could run Etihad and still turn a profit. They've got a good deal and they are sitting on it. But they are being very complacent with North, St Kilda and the Dogs. If they don't reinvest in ensuring those crowds turn up they risk those clubs shrinking in attendance and membership and eventually possibly ceasing to exist. Carlton are already running away from Etihad as fast as they can. The AFL pulled a final from Etihad to play it at Geelong. Simple changes that make level 2 accessible will help clubs draw crowds and help the stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back