The 2nd Side

Remove this Banner Ad

Grendel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In the greatest ever side, a few were speculating over those that didnt get named and who would be the 'unlucky' blokes who couldnt crack it for the team of the century.

Well if there was to be one id guess it could look something like this???

B. Collins Hyde J.Kennedy Snr

HB. Simmonds Hay (Phil not Johnny) Austen

C. Pritchard Wallace Youren

HF. Hendrie Young Keddie

F. Holland Moncrieff Poole

R. Salmon Greene Crawford

int Greene Spinks Ablett (Geoff) Hyde.

This is a Waaaay more speculative excercise than the first side. For a start, if you wanted to be really picky, you would drop either Mew/Knights Moore/Langford Hudson/Dunstall out of the main side into this one. The balance would then be so much better and flankers could then be selected in their rightful posistion. Blokes like Mort Brown Greene Cooper and the like would all be pushing for selection id guess.

Anyway this side though older, is still a very good side (well i would say that i picked it)
biggrin.gif

Keddie at least 2 time B@F winner (maybe 3? not sure) A couple of Brownlow winners, heaps of state reps. The only slot i really had trouble with was CHB. With Knights and Mew both in the '1st's' it was a bit of a punt to be honest. Again i looked at David O'Halloran, again i couldnt quite find a spot for him. Kanga snr had to get a spot, relief ruck and tall back pocket seemed fair. The two half backs were more by reputation than any great knowledge i had of them (both a bit before my time)
smile.gif
and as GM said in the other thread, Hyde was good enough for Vic selection at both Full back and Full Forward in the thirties so he got the nod there. Phil Hay from what ive heard was our best defended of the sixities and more than capable of playing CHB though im sure he was primarily a FB. So for service and the fact that i was struggling for someone else to name, he gets the job!

WIth the players on the forward line, weve got blokes that can be switched around anyway. Dutchy could take CHB, Gladys too, or the FB, tall back pocket. Keddie could take FF if required. Even the big Fish could play there at a push.

So there it is, again ive probably missed a few (Wheres Bernie Jones i hear you cry, and i cry with you that hes not there)
frown.gif
Yet the blokes that carried us to that first flag, and several blokes from the early seventies also were magnificent servants of the Hawthorn Football Club. I hope ive gotten it at least partly right.

Cheers.

How could you possibly have a Greatest 2nds Side without...
Ian Scrimshaw/Bennett(Swooper & Jamie)/Lenny Petch/Donny Fletcher/Wayne Bevan/Dom Berry/Lou Milner/Dave Sullivan/Glen Nugent/Mark Scott/Kel Steele....and of course the eternal Freak !!!!

....what.... oh Second Side....now I get it.

Sorry Steve...couldn't resist it !!

-Rico

Remove this Banner Ad

Back