The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Best release of 2018?

I’ve heard good things about Warlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the people who read that Hell's Angels book by Hunter, does it actually get good after the first 50-60 pages or is it just going to be more of the same?

Currently just him talking about the media embellishing innocuous events they were involved in - really boring.

Does it get better?

No spoilers!

To the people who read that Hell's Angels book by Hunter, does it actually get good after the first 50-60 pages or is it just going to be more of the same?

Currently just him talking about the media embellishing innocuous events they were involved in - really boring.

Does it get better?

No spoilers!
I started that a few years ago, but unfortunately gave up on it for the exact reason you raise, so can't say if it improves.

I started that a few years ago, but unfortunately gave up on it for the exact reason you raise, so can't say if it improves.

I finished it more out of loyalty.

It's a transition between his earlier, more conventional journalism and the fear and loathing phase. It's okay if you read it in the mind of the former, but not so much the latter.

ive tried the wheel of time a couple of times just struggle to get into it

I had no problem getting into it but the middle 3-4 books of the series are a real slog.

How far did you get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no problem getting into it but the middle 3-4 books of the series are a real slog.

How far did you get?
ive tried reading the first book a couple of times about half way into it. put it down and forgot about it. tried again few years later and got into it a bit more dont know maybe its due another visit

The first one hooked me and I flew through it. I'd give it another visit but I would wait until you have a few days where you can sit down and devote some time to reading. It just takes a while to understand what is going on and for it to really pick up.

The first one hooked me and I flew through it. I'd give it another visit but I would wait until you have a few days where you can sit down and devote some time to reading. It just takes a while to understand what is going on and for it to really pick up.
well I have converted to Audio books these days, work these days gives me an opportunity to listen to a few hours a day which I just dont get time to do at home. so works out well

Finally getting around to finishing Assassin's Fate (and, at least for now, the last of the books in that world). About 150 pages to go so on the end part. I like that this one has really drawn together her two storylines for the world (Fitz and the Liveships/Dragons) to close up storylines for both. Although they'd crossed paths earlier, it wasn't in big ways, unlike this time around.

I finished properly reading 12 Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson. I found there were some very interesting things to take from the book so I'd recommend people give it a read.

I'd like to focus on some fiction literature next so might finally get around to reading Dune by Frank Herbert.

Has anyone read the debut novel by New Zealand writer (currently living in Melbourne) J.P. Pomare?

His literary influences are right up my alley so thought it might be a good read.

Has anyone read the debut novel by New Zealand writer (currently living in Melbourne) J.P. Pomare?

His literary influences are right up my alley so thought it might be a good read.
Call Me Evie

by
J.P. Pomare (Goodreads Author)
4.02 · Rating details · 503 ratings · 124 reviews
In this propulsive, twist-filled, and haunting psychological suspense debut perfect for fans of Sharp Objects and Room, a seventeen-year-old girl struggles to remember the role she played on the night her life changed forever.

For the past two weeks, seventeen-year-old Kate Bennet has lived against her will in an isolated cabin in a remote beach town--brought there by a mysterious man named Bill. Part captor, part benefactor, Bill calls her Evie and tells her he's hiding her to protect her. That she did something terrible one night back home in Melbourne--something so unspeakable that he had no choice but to take her away. The trouble is, Kate can't remember the night in question.

The fragments of Kate's shattered memories of her old life seem happy: good friends, a big house in the suburbs, a devoted boyfriend. Bill says he'll help her fill in the blanks--but his story isn't adding up. And as she tries to reconcile the girl she thought she'd been with the devastating consequences Bill claims she's responsible for, Kate will unearth secrets about herself and those closest to her that could change everything.

A riveting debut novel that fearlessly plumbs the darkest recesses of the mind, Call Me Evie explores the fragility of memory and the potential in all of us to hide the truth, even from ourselves.

Call Me Evie

by
J.P. Pomare (Goodreads Author)
4.02 · Rating details · 503 ratings · 124 reviews
In this propulsive, twist-filled, and haunting psychological suspense debut perfect for fans of Sharp Objects and Room, a seventeen-year-old girl struggles to remember the role she played on the night her life changed forever.

For the past two weeks, seventeen-year-old Kate Bennet has lived against her will in an isolated cabin in a remote beach town--brought there by a mysterious man named Bill. Part captor, part benefactor, Bill calls her Evie and tells her he's hiding her to protect her. That she did something terrible one night back home in Melbourne--something so unspeakable that he had no choice but to take her away. The trouble is, Kate can't remember the night in question.

The fragments of Kate's shattered memories of her old life seem happy: good friends, a big house in the suburbs, a devoted boyfriend. Bill says he'll help her fill in the blanks--but his story isn't adding up. And as she tries to reconcile the girl she thought she'd been with the devastating consequences Bill claims she's responsible for, Kate will unearth secrets about herself and those closest to her that could change everything.

A riveting debut novel that fearlessly plumbs the darkest recesses of the mind, Call Me Evie explores the fragility of memory and the potential in all of us to hide the truth, even from ourselves.
Yes, that's the book. Thanks.

Pomare seems like a nice guy who is really enthusiastic about writing, I'm just not sure if the storyline really interests me all that much though to be honest.

Halfway through Kafka on the Shore. Surprised how much of a page-turner it is. Been a while since a fiction novel grabbed me as much.
Did the pages keep turning?

I've only read 1Q84 by Murakami but it's probably the fastest I've ever read. Afterwards I saw some valid criticism of the book but in the moment it didn't bother me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back