The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently reading 'The Mammoth Book of Muhammad Ali'. I've always wanted to read a book of Ali and this seems to be the book that I was always after just saw it at the Collins in Puckle St.
Also I have just bought for my Kindle, Churchill:The Unexpected Hero and Ghosts of Manila.

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in a new-ish fantasy trilogy. Fans of GRRM or Robert Jordan would like it.

Just finished Paul Kearney's latest: "King's of the Morning", sequel to "The Ten Thousand" and "Corvus". It's David Gemmell type fantasy heavily based on Ancient Greece. TTT is just Xenephon with the serial numbers filed off, and Corvus is a fairly obvious Alexander the Great analog. Fun reads!

595318-L.jpg

Basically it's a series of letters from a former SS and Gestapo officer to his brother-in-law, exploring and attempting to justify his past actions. Bit long winded in parts, but it's an interesting read

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in a new-ish fantasy trilogy. Fans of GRRM or Robert Jordan would like it.

Brilliant. Different to either of those books though as it's a much more focused story, with only one POV. Aside from the obvious 1st person style similarities, it'd probably be closer Hobb's Farseer trilogy, though not quite as emotionally harrowing. The romantic aspects are fairly similar.

Second book is a bit of a let down. Loses itself but sort of works its way back together towards the end.

"Here, There and Everywhere - my life recording the music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey.

bit dry, some of the technical stuff is interesting but I've read a lot of it before in other publications ... Emerick comes across as a bit of a bore, and is on pretty good terms with himself too ..
I also find his manlove for MacCartney a bit cloying ..

Brilliant. Different to either of those books though as it's a much more focused story, with only one POV. Aside from the obvious 1st person style similarities, it'd probably be closer Hobb's Farseer trilogy, though not quite as emotionally harrowing. The romantic aspects are fairly similar.

Second book is a bit of a let down. Loses itself but sort of works its way back together towards the end.

Nothing in fantasy holds a candle to the far seer trilogy in emotional stakes, nit even her own books post that.

Will check out this new series sounds promising

I hope not, I couldn't stand those things. I liked Hobb much better when she was Megan Lindholm.

Just finished "The Pirate Wars" by Peter Earle. What to read next ? Back to my favorite stamping grounds of SF/Fantasy/Pulp i'm thinking.

Just finished Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Princess of Mars and George Orwell's Animal Farm in quick succession, after finding them for free on Project Gutenberg (Edgar Rice Burroughs) and Project Gutenberg Australia (Animal Farm).

Now in to The Gods of Mars.

God bless the kindle.

suttree.large.jpg

An excellent writer. Fourth book of his I've read and currently loving it.

Prose is orgasmically good. Beautiful, sad and funny. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

suttree.large.jpg

An excellent writer. Fourth book of his I've read and currently loving it.

Prose is orgasmically good. Beautiful, sad and funny. :thumbsu:
Blood Meridian (And uni starting) has taken me a month and 4 days to get through only 250 pages :p

He sure makes you work for it.

Blood Meridian (And uni starting) has taken me a month and 4 days to get through only 250 pages :p

He sure makes you work for it.

Blood Meridian was a weird, hazy nightmare, loved it though I won't pretend to have completely comprehended it.

Might give Suttre a try on your recommendation, Placebo; I've read three of Cormac McCarthy's books and thoroughly enjoyed them all ...

Blood Meridian was a weird, hazy nightmare, loved it though I won't pretend to have completely comprehended it.

Might give Suttre a try on your recommendation, Placebo; I've read three of Cormac McCarthy's books and thoroughly enjoyed them all ...

I read somewhere that the Coen brothers were talking about filming "Blood Meridian". If it can be done at all I would think that Joel and Ethan Coen would be the ones to do it !

I'm just about finished. Personally my favourite McCarthy yet.

A word of warning - It is pretty much plotless so if a lack of narrative story throws you off it might not be for you, but his writing is utterly impeccable in it.

I'm just about finished. Personally my favourite McCarthy yet.

A word of warning - It is pretty much plotless so if a lack of narrative story throws you off it might not be for you, but his writing is utterly impeccable in it.

thanks - wow that is high praise, Blood Meridian was amazing, I would be hard pressed to find many other books that impressed me as much - the Road and No Country For Old Men are the other two McCarthy books I have read, both excellent.

I'm nearly halfway through 'Moneyball' - I have no real interest in baseball, but the author has a nice breezy way of writing which makes what could be a very dry topic very interesting and engaging.

Just finished A Season With Verona by Tim Parks.

Book that chronicles the Italian soccer team, Hellas Verona, through a season in Serie A. Author travels with the fans that go to all the away games and stuff. Pretty mental. Get a good feel for Italy and the football and political climate during the time as well. Great read.

Reading No Logo by Naomi Klein now.

Basically investigates the 'branded world'. The extent to which corporations go in developing and promoting their brand name and making sure their brand is everywhere, all the time. Very interesting so far.

I'm nearly halfway through 'Moneyball' - I have no real interest in baseball, but the author has a nice breezy way of writing which makes what could be a very dry topic very interesting and engaging.

If you like Moneyball, then you should read Liar's Poker, which was the first book Michael Lewis wrote about his time as a trader with Salomon Brothers. Very engaging book about the greedy nature of Wall Street in the early 1980s.

Just finished A Season With Verona by Tim Parks.

Book that chronicles the Italian soccer team, Hellas Verona, through a season in Serie A. Author travels with the fans that go to all the away games and stuff. Pretty mental. Get a good feel for Italy and the football and political climate during the time as well. Great read.

That's a brilliant book. I've never read a travelogue before or since, but Tim Park manages to showcase the best (and worst) of Italy in a terrific way.

Reading No Logo by Naomi Klein now.

Basically investigates the 'branded world'. The extent to which corporations go in developing and promoting their brand name and making sure their brand is everywhere, all the time. Very interesting so far.

My wife has this book on our bookshelves, but I've never read it. Might have to give it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back