The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Book 9, Winter's Heart, of the Wheel of Time.

I enjoy the series, but it feels like I've been reading it forever and I've still got 5 books left to read.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Enjoying it so far, interesting narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Travellers Never Die by Jack McDevitt.

Starts out a little slow but gets better as is it goes along. The novel has its own interesting twist on time travel and paradoxes. Not much of an overall plot feelng more of a time tourist book at times but still a pretty good read with a satisfying ending.

Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee

The sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird.

Loving it so far.

Barbarian Days by William Finnegan.

The book chronicles the journalist's movements across the globe chasing waves and and stories. It won the 2016 Pulitzer prize in the biography/autobiography category and is also shortlisted for this year's William Hill sports book of the year.

Only early days, but so far it's been a thoroughly informative and enjoyable read, even for someone with minimal knowledge of the 'ins and outs' of surfing.

Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance.

A memoir (of a guy not yet 40, I think) who grew up dirt poor in hillbilly heartland. Went on to join the marines and graduated from Yale as a lawyer. And despite all of that, turned out to be compassionate and deep thinking guy!

A great story, and a story that exposes the corosion at the heart of the American dream.

Highly recommend it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over my brief holiday I read;
The Spare Room - Helen Garner
The Outsider - Albert Camus
Twilight - William Gay.

Really adored Garner and Gay, have to read their other stuff now.

With that Southern Gothic craving, currently revisiting an old favourite in Absalom, Absalom! for the second time, and it sends me into such a state, a muttering, incanting, next level literary high. Might just be my absolute favourite.

Currently reading -

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson: really enjoyed The Rum Diary and have enjoyed this one so far. Resplendent writing.

Drive - Daniel S. Pink: riveting read so far; similar conceptually to Flow. He has a really nice eloquent writing style and it's inspiring at times.

Origin of Species - Charles Darwin: one of those titles you have to read at some point. Haven't cracked in too much yet.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat - Oliver Sacks: like the concept, but it's been a little banal so far. He has a really nice writing style, although it's a little sugary at times.

The 8th Habit - Steven Covey: been reading it for a while and have found it to be pretty similar to 7 Habits. As always, the writing is good, the ideas however, don't diverge too much from his previous stuff. Although that's partly the idea, it hasn't been as engaging.

What did you think?

I've read Moneyball and The Big Short this year and enjoyed both. Granted I loved Moneyball as a movie, Lewis does a great job of detailing the rookie baseballers. Their stories (ascensions) are fascinating.

Got to read The Blind Side next.

Watched the movie before I read the book, but I do prefer the book, absolutely loved it. I've also read The Big Short, I'm a big fan of Michael Lewis' work.

Currently reading -

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson: really enjoyed The Rum Diary and have enjoyed this one so far. Resplendent writing.

Love Fear and Loathing. I liked it a lot more than Rum Riary. F&L just nails the mix between comedy and seriousness like few other greats can (Vonnegut, Heller).

Last edited:
Just finished -

Drive - Daniel L. Pink: really enjoyed it, and some good insights. Thought it was a little bit short though and could have drawn upon more research and expanded a bit.

Who Moved My Cheese? - Spencer Johnson: not bad; some nice messages but a little patronising, particularly the end section.

I just started The 4-Hour Work Week, which has been recommended to me by many people.

Can someone recommend books similar thematically to Flowers for Algernon? Really bogged down in PD books at the moment.

Thematically similar to Flowers for Algernon seems harder than just about any SciFi story I can think of. I know you said you are bogged down in PKD but if you haven't read it yet A Scanner Darkly is great, quite different from most of his stories and in some ways closer to Flowers from Algernon than my other suggestions;

Just a few others that although not that close to Flowers for Algernon I also really enjoyed and they're similar in that they are short, sharp SciFi with an interesting idea and a lack of aliens and laser beams (and from a similar time).

Man Plus by Frederik Pohl
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin
1984 by George Orwell
Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back