The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for the rec! Looks like a good xmas present idea for me. Given two of his works deal with Ovid and Iliad, hesitant to dive into them without preparation, so this short story collection should tide me over until ready for them.

I subsequently read his debut novel Johnno, but didn't take to it nearly as much. Was the first novel set in Brisbane that I've read since living in Brisbane, which made it an interesting read, as well as clearly being strongly semi-autobiographical (Malouf has one of the most relatable childhood/young-adult experiences I've ever come across, we're cut from a similar cloth), but it pales in comparison to what he conjured in his writing of Remembering Babylon. Hopefully I find other things on that level from him, but I'd be fine with a succession of Johnnos.

The Emperor of all Maladies, by Sidartha Mukherjee. Reasonably interesting, but not as good as his book on genetics, which was a ripper.

Has anybody read The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen?
Had real good reviews, the story is really interesting, I’m about 1/3 of the way and struggling to get through it, find the writing style difficult to follow bounces around too much, really wish it was edited better.

Artemis by Andy Weir. Some 2nd book blues here but not as bad as Ernest Cline's 2nd offering. Interesting in parts but pushing the all inclusive multicultural society thing a bit too much and in the end its another space adventure on another hunk of rock.

I'm sure Weir can write something with a different theme and hope he tries.

The Road is one of the best books I've ever read. Haven't read any others yet but I've heard they're all good.

The Road wasn’t available at my local store- purchased Blood Meridian in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished "Shadow Of Freedom" by David Weber. Set in the Honor Harrington universe but without much of Honor herself. Not the best book in the series. Started an oldie "Stand On Zanzibar" by John Brunner, hard going at the moment but I still have a long way to go.

Just finished Mayor of Casterbridge (35 years after buying it according to the receipt tucked inside). Good story and the narrative really gets pushed along.

Currently reading Australia 55, an account of the MCC's 1954-55 tour of Australia by Alan Ross. Lots of extra colour apart from the cricket; really was a very different place back then.

Got this lined up for the Christmas swag: https://www.hardiegrant.com/au/publ...teve-smith_s-men-by-geoff-lemon/9781743795095

******* awesome. Don't gaf about classical music but finding this book incredible all the same.

Also, this:

981537.jpg

Anyone read The Martian?

I have begun it but might turf it.

I feel like it might be the sort of book that is better as a movie ala Forest Gump and The Godfather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back