Strategy The 3 second rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately I see a bumhole, with a slender green penis about to violate it :oops:
Laughed so hard at this comment!

I always find what Janus has to say to be very interesting. This time included, and at some point I thought I understood but then I'm not really sure that I do.

Laughed so hard at this comment!

I always find what Janus has to say to be very interesting. This time included, and at some point I thought I understood but then I'm not really sure that I do.

It’s about speeding up decision making. If you watch the goal where Marshall kicks the goal from the square after getting a handball from Wingard, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about - almost every mark taken they made a decision in two seconds and they kicked on a 45 degree angle to a player that had run or was running into space.

You know how if you drop something on the floor, popular wisdom is that it's 'okay' if it's only been there three seconds? (even though it's actually now covered with germs)

Well, let's extrapolate that to football, because it applies to how we play as well, or specifically, the options that we take. It should take only three seconds to assess every option available when it comes to playing on:

0dbff4de4fdfeeade2afc7fe1f0941bc.png

Adelaide were hugely successful in 2017 using the second and third phases of this style of play, because it gave them the appearance of being fast with ball movement. They loved those 45 degree kicks after they wheeled around to running players that were moving into space. However, when that avenue was shut down by Richmond's full-field press, their only option was to go back and take their kick - and if the option on the angle was closed down when they had just marked the ball, it was suicide when they went back to take their kick...so they were forced to head down the line.

Fortunately for Port...because of our leg speed and running capability, we have the first option - to wheel around and play on. What this does is force defences to make a choice - either be sucked toward the ball to stop the run, exposing their flank with a 45 degree kick or keep their defensive shape and be cut up with run and carry.

And even if we do have to go back and take our kick - since we have at least two contested marking forwards in Dixon and Watts, we are assured that sides won't simply push us to the line, because Dixon has the ability to win the contest.

Obviously, in order to execute this style of play you need kicks that actually reach their intended target quickly and clean grabs. You also need every player to be agile and athletic but with a thirst for the contest, because the only way to stop this style of play is at the source by denying the mark in the first place. But that's where our defensive systems kick in.

If it sounds simple, it is. Football, like any sport, is a simple game. In terms of tactics, it's just angles, which is basic mathematics. The hard part is the execution, especially under pressure. That's why it's important to put opposition players under pressure at all times - any team in the competition can win if given enough space and time to execute their method.

We have the effort and we have the method. This year, it's all about speed - specifically, how fast we can execute those two things together. Eventually, our speed will be so fast out of defence that our ball retention will be like quicksilver going down the field.

I posted this on the Hawthorn forum back in 2014, before we played them in R10:

We could play that way back in 2014 because opposition teams gave us the space to do so, because they didn't rate us very highly. Now, we are creating our own space. This is what we've been working towards for the past five years.

By the end of the year, we will be the greatest Australian Rules football team in the world. Of that I have no doubt.

It’s about speeding up decision making. If you watch the goal where Marshall kicks the goal from the square after getting a handball from Wingard, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about - almost every mark taken they made a decision in two seconds and they kicked on a 45 degree angle to a player that had run or was running into space.
If this diagram is not put up at the next Members' Convention I'm going to ask for my $75 back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 476117

Is this where babies come from?

best reply ever!

To my warped mind it look like a graphic karma sutra how-to. Perhaps to a tune. You put your left leg in, you spread their left leg out...listen to Andrew Jarman radio unedited and you will soon get the idea.

I don't normally last three seconds though :(

Last edited:

I don't mind this but you do over-complicate things. The premise of fast ball movement is tried and true. In 2007 we did so well because we were a young and exuberant side who played a 'run and gun' style with players who had pace and enough skill to execute that style. Unfortunately I think the GF mentally scarred us so we never replicated it after that year.

I agree in 2014 we played that style again and were successful as we were again young and exciting so teams underestimated us. Then the following year our skills weren't able to stand up to the extra pressure teams applied to us to allow us to play such a quick style. In 2015 the thing I noticed a lot was that we stopped being able to transition from one side of the ground to the other or hit the 45 degree kick that we did so well in 2014 and as you say we got held up more and when we kept trying and trying to make it happen by playing on our skills let us down and we ran ourselves into trouble inviting even more pressure. After that we went into our shells and that was when Ken started saying we are playing 'spooked'.

At the end of the day it should go without saying that fast ball movement is the key to long term sustainable effective attack. There is nothing worse for a defense than to have to defend quick inside 50 entries for a multitude of reasons. They don't have time to set up their zones, it's more chaotic so trying to set up structures and shout instructions when everyone is madly trying to rush back and cover space or a man, often when a team is transitioning into attack quickly their forwards can get more separation from their opponents because of the chaos and confusion so this leads to more marks (easier marks) inside 50, a more direct style even at a higher speed means less KMs run at the end of the game.

The problem with playing on and trying to play a quick game plan is you need good runners, preferably quick and good skills. Hawks used exceptional skills with a healthy dose of good outside runners (Smith/Hill) to build an effective game style even though the core of the midfield weren't super runners and definitely not quick. We have had the desire to play a similar quick style but have lacked the outside support a part from Polec and our skills haven't been anywhere near good enough to execute under the level of pressure required to win finals which is why we didn't beat top teams last year as we were good enough to execute against weaker team as they give a bit more time to play on, decide and execute as well as create space and separation to receive.

Our biggest weakness last year which held us back the most wasn't team defense, our defense is elite. Our defense often stood up despite the work (or lack of) done in front of them. It was sometimes our midfield failing such as against Adelaide but the most frustrating losses the last 3 years have been the games we've dominated but lost because of our terrible efficiency using the ball entering inside 50. This is again because good teams pressure us well enough with our ball movement and execution forward of half way but it was as much personnel who couldn't handle the heat as much as anything.

It's for this reason with Motlop & Barry adding more support to Polec (Barry seems more effective than Amon), Bonner being even better than Pittard in this area by instead of creating chaos he is very direct with his running but also he and Houston have brought skills that execute under finals pressure from the defensive half. Watts relieves pressure from Dixon but bring skills into the forward half with Motlop and Rockliff relieves pressure off Wines and allows Gray AND Wingard to both play permanently forward meaning more skills again are inside 50. So as everyone has already said all the recruit help improve our biggest weakness and help us enormously play a much more skillful and quick style that will cut a lot of teams to ribbons and will put us in the premiership race up to our necks!

Bonner, Houston, Motlop, Barry, Watts, Rockliff Vs Pittard, Broadbent, Young, Impey, Trengove, Ah Chee. Who would you pick?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back