The 5 Greatest Football Traditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Each footy code has its own special idiosyncrasies, whether they be supporter-generated over a long period of time, or contrived from within the club for marketing purposes. We have numerous traditions in Australian Rules, whether it be the guernseys, the club songs or other unique characteristics, as do each of the other football codes. Based on my own experiences of footy around the globe, in the context of growing up with an underlying passion for Australian Rules, I thought I’d put together a list of what I believe are the 5 greatest football traditions, mostly from personal experience.

1. The Haka

Not purely a rugby phenomenon, I realise, but never delivered with any more passion than it is just prior to an All Black game. The Haka in its many forms has struck fear and awe into opponents for many years, and never fails to send a chill up the spine of spectators. Needless to say it has also carried a huge cultural significance, and remains the most imposing and impressive gesture on the world’s sporting fields.

2. Liverpool’s “You’ll Never Walk Alone”

I’m a massive Arsenal supporter, so it takes some doing including this one on my list, let alone so high. But being in the stands at Anfield while this Gerry & The Pacemakers song is chorused by the Liverpool supporters prior to kick-off or late in a match is really something else. Other clubs have tried to imitate such singing, even sing this very same song, but have never matched the Kop version.

3. NFL Cheerleaders

Again, not unique to NFL, but cheerleaders have certainly been embraced and popularised by this code. They almost typify the glitzy, glamorous and some might argue superficial aspect of American sporting culture, but there’s no doubt they have become synonymous with the football code itself. And, might I say, very easy on the eye.

4. The Banner

I could’ve included a number of Aussie Rules traditions in my list, not the least of which are the various club songs sung after each game by the winners, or the mannerisms of the old-school goal umpires (although they’ve been sanitised in their approach over the last decade or so). But the large banners prepared by respective cheer squads in the lead up to each match, and run through by players before the game, are a fantastic attribute of AFL football. It encapsulates the passion and dedication of footy fans toward their clubs. We just wouldn't be without the displaying of the banner when the players run out.

5. The Silence of Munster

Now pretty much adopted by the Irish national team as well, this amazing sporting gesture by the fans of Munster Rugby is performed each time a player – Munster/Ireland or opponent – lines up and kicks for a penalty or conversion. Being in a stadium where 60,000 supporters assume complete silence right in the midst of a match has to be experienced. In fact, I’ve been in packed pubs in the south of Ireland when a Munster match is on the big screen and the entire pub goes deathly silent for the half-minute or so whilst the kick takes place.

Happy to have others discuss and debate their most notable football traditions.

Each footy code has its own special idiosyncrasies, whether they be supporter-generated over a long period of time, or contrived from within the club for marketing purposes. We have numerous traditions in Australian Rules, whether it be the guernseys, the club songs or other unique characteristics, as do each of the other football codes. Based on my own experiences of footy around the globe, in the context of growing up with an underlying passion for Australian Rules, I thought I’d put together a list of what I believe are the 5 greatest football traditions, mostly from personal experience.

1. The Haka

Not purely a rugby phenomenon, I realise, but never delivered with any more passion than it is just prior to an All Black game. The Haka in its many forms has struck fear and awe into opponents for many years, and never fails to send a chill up the spine of spectators. Needless to say it has also carried a huge cultural significance, and remains the most imposing and impressive gesture on the world’s sporting fields.

I’m a massive Arsenal supporter, so it takes some doing including this one on my list, let alone so high. But being in the stands at Anfield while this Gerry & The Pacemakers song is chorused by the Liverpool supporters prior to kick-off or late in a match is really something else. Other clubs have tried to imitate such singing, even sing this very same song, but have never matched the Kop version.

3. NFL Cheerleaders

Again, not unique to NFL, but cheerleaders have certainly been embraced and popularised by this code. They almost typify the glitzy, glamorous and some might argue superficial aspect of American sporting culture, but there’s no doubt they have become synonymous with the football code itself. And, might I say, very easy on the eye.

4. The Banner

I could’ve included a number of Aussie Rules traditions in my list, not the least of which are the various club songs sung after each game by the winners, or the mannerisms of the old-school goal umpires (although they’ve been sanitised in their approach over the last decade or so). But the large banners prepared by respective cheer squads in the lead up to each match, and run through by players before the game, are a fantastic attribute of AFL football. It encapsulates the passion and dedication of footy fans toward their clubs. We just wouldn't be without the displaying of the banner when the players run out.

5. The Silence of Munster

Now pretty much adopted by the Irish national team as well, this amazing sporting gesture by the fans of Munster Rugby is performed each time a player – Munster/Ireland or opponent – lines up and kicks for a penalty or conversion. Being in a stadium where 60,000 supporters assume complete silence right in the midst of a match has to be experienced. In fact, I’ve been in packed pubs in the south of Ireland when a Munster match is on the big screen and the entire pub goes deathly silent for the half-minute or so whilst the kick takes place.

Happy to have others discuss and debate their most notable football traditions.

Nice idea for a thread. My neighbor and good friend is a Maori, and the Haka is an amazing thing.

Celtic do it better.

We all saw the struggles the Gold Coast cheersquad had putting together banners each week and they even needed the opposition cheer squads help occassionally putting it up on game day (Full credit to the GC fans for still putting in all the time and effort to make the banner) but how will GWS go with banners? Do they have a cheersquad in the making? Will they travel around the country each second week?

Other fooball traditions i can think of are the mexican wave and singing the team song after a win. Having all the players come together to sing the team song reinforces the bond they share as a team which is great!

The baggy green cap is actually a bit of a myth. Up until the time that the utterly tiresome Steve Waugh decided to make something of it, the cap was a largely unloved institution. Many players from eras past do not even possess the cap that the played in.
Like the boxing day test, it is of those "traditions" that has been invented for marketing purposes.

I'd say for NFL the Super Bowl MVP saying, "I'm going to Disneyland!" is more of a tradition than cheerleaders.

i like how being capped for your country comes from actually being awarded a cap i think they wore during the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See: Borussia Dortmund.

I don't mean to derail the thread of a fellow and passionate Gooner, but why is this in the AFL section?

The baggy green cap is actually a bit of a myth. Up until the time that the utterly tiresome Steve Waugh decided to make something of it, the cap was a largely unloved institution. Many players from eras past do not even possess the cap that the played in.
Like the boxing day test, it is of those "traditions" that has been invented for marketing purposes.

your gotta b kiddin me

....and I know the band who sung it were from Liverpool, but some Celtic supporters swear that they were the first to sing it at a game. (and they do sing it better)

Gerry and the Pacemakers may have had a hit with it ..... but it was originally a showtune from the musical "Carousel".

As for the Haka .......... search on youtube for pre 1987 versions .......... before Wayne Shelford decided to reinvent it, half the team didn't know the words and the rest didn't know the actions; it was a shambles.

Sounds a bit like the Anzac Day "tradition" but doesn't pretend that sport can, or should, be compared to war.

As for the "myth" of the baggy green, how many sporting symbols do you know of that have been unchanged for 140+ years and can't be bought by armchair heros like us?

Father-son drafting ;)

Seriously it is wonderful for supporters.

Under-rated post this

Look at some of the other codes like the NFL. Howie Long made a Hall of Fame name for himself playing for the Oakland/LA Raiders it would have been great for the Raiders to be able to draft his son Chris but he has to play for St Louis.

The AFL would be one of the only professional sports where a son of a club's past players can get a chance to play for the same team as his father did a great thing about our game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back