Opinion The #5 in waiting...

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Langford in 30. A constant reminder when he is a premier player of the competition, that we got him for Patrick Ryder, who by then is retired and back in Geraldton taking annual trips to Bali so his wife can buy fake GUCCI handbags.
how oddly specific.

Players in 20+ (as I doubt people will increase from teens onwards):

Jackson Merrett: No
Dyson Heppell: Would be worthy, but doubt he moves from 21
Matthew Leuenberger: Doubt it, he's not good enough nor young enough to make sense
David Myers: Been in 23 the entire time, doubt he changes
Craig Bird: No
Alex Morgan: Hell no
Cale Hooker: Doubt he changes either
Mason Redman: I like him, but I doubt he's good enough for #5
Mitch Brown: Depth player. No.
Patrick Ambrose: Nah. I think he likes 29.
Kyle Langford: Would definitely be worthy of it, but I like Kakkle's scenario too much
Travis Colyer: He's made his name in 32. Let him keep it.
Jayden Laverde: The probable candidate for mine. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in our 3rd most prestigious number (behind 3 and 10)
Jake Long: See Redman
Michael Hartley: Would sooner see him in 31 but I don't want him to change numbers
Dylan Clarke: Unknown quantity. Doubt he'll establish himself enough by the end of next year
Sam Draper: See Clarke
Heath Hocking: Ain't gonna happen
Ben Howlett: Ain't gonna happen
Ben McNeice: Doubt it
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: I think he likes 43
Shaun McKernan: Nup
James Kelly: His last year. No.
Matthew Dea: Reckon he might get 20 at the end of the year.

So in the end it's between Langford, Laverde and a plausible Trade/FA signing.

All the players who might "deserve" the No 5 currently have a number which they're unlikely to change e.g. Dyson in 21 or Zach in 7, so we'll probably just have to wait until Stanton hangs up his boots and see if we've drafted a new whizz kid by then or we've signed a superstar from elsewhere.

Not to be a killjoy but when people talk about players having earned or not earned a particular number I kind of can't help but think of how some people seemed to turn on Stants overnight when he took the 5 over from Hird.

Yes, certain numbers are storied at clubs for a good reason but in the end...it's just a number. I think some attach too much importance to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mason Fletcher
The kid is going to get publicity anyway give him a number that means a lot but isn't associated with the fletcher name. James and dustin are good friends

Mason Fletcher
The kid is going to get publicity anyway give him a number that means a lot but isn't associated with the fletcher name. James and dustin are good friends
And then Hirdy's son wears #31?

I suspect that entire family is lost to us.
Not a chance - he and his family will be back (with talk of it happening as soon as this year). The bigger issue is that I am pretty sure his sons are not that super into footy.

Not a chance - he and his family will be back (with talk of it happening as soon as this year). The bigger issue is that I am pretty sure his sons are not that super into footy.

I think they prefer soccer over AFL.

I reckon Walla. Just love the way he plays. Always seems to give it 110%.

Is 'Walla wants to be the second player to play 100 games in 43 after Dean Rioli' the new 'Ricky Dyson + 3rd Rounder'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back