The 50 Greatest Premier League players EVER

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the current list?

Was looking for it too, but couldn’t find the full list. Was hoping the original post on page 1 was edited. I recall Giggs being number one, which caused a stir.
Page 38
The 50

50 Petit (France)
49 Ginola (France)
48 Di Canio (Italy)
47 Sheringham (England)
46 Berbatov (Bulgaria)
45 Hasslebaink (Holland)
44 Van Persie (Holland)
43 Carragher (England)
42 Fowler (England)
41 Stam (Holland)
40 Torres (Spain)
39 Kompany (Belgium)
38 Silva (Spain)
37 Pires (France)
36 Tevez (Argentina)
35 Bale (Wales)
34 Hazard (Belgium)
33 Owen (England)
32 Campbell, Sol (England)
31 Van der Sar (Holland)
30 Fabregas (Spain)
29 Suarez (Uruguay)
28 Adams (England)
27 Neville, Gary (England)
26 Cole, Ashley (England)
25 Cole, Andy (England)
24 Beckham (England)
23 Cech (Czech Republic)
22 Toure, Yaya (Ivory Coast)
21 Van Nistlerooy (Holland)
20 Drogba (Ivory Coast)
19 Agueroooo (Argentina)
18 Ferdinand, Rio (England)
17 Le Tissier (England)
16 Schmeichel (Denmark)
15 Vidic (Serbia)
14 Ronaldo (Portugal)
13 Keane, Roy (Rep Ireland)
12 Rooney (England)
11 Gerrard (England)
10 Zola (Italy)
9 Viera (France)
8 Terry (England)
7 Lampard (England)
6 Bergkamp (Holland)
5 Cantona (France)
4 Scholes (England)
3 Shearer (England)
2 Henry (France)
1 Giggs (Wales)

Still would have had Shearer at 1.
Worth a re-read just for Jod's melts :D

Controversial opinion here (although it shouldn’t be considered controversial): David Silva is seriously overrated. Bloke gets sympathy votes because he’s “likeable”. Guys like Kante and Silva will always escape criticism because they’re the nice guys of football. Once they hit form everyone wants to celebrate it because fans generally want these type of players to do well. If they’re down, they rarely get called out. Silva especially has been riding the underrated tag for so long now that he has become overrated. People have such a warped perception of him. He has made the PFA team of the year twice and has been City’s player of the season once. His individual accolades are extremely thin. He has recently been capitalising on a disgustingly dominant City team that is making Raheem Sterling look world class and now everyone has a distorted opinion of him.

If you still can’t quite gauge how overrated this bloke is by the football world, Jamie Redknapp claimed throughout the week that he’s now on Xavi and Iniesta’s level. Don’t get me wrong, Silva is a tidy little player, but that is seriously disrespecting Xavi and Iniesta. Silva’s career is more similar to Juan Mata’s than it is Xavi and Iniesta’s. It’s time to judge him based on what he is and not what Noel Gallagher leads people to believe.

Ha I think Slippy G was dropped a place or two to number 11 just because Jodly was melting all over the thread if I recall. Believe it was Cruyffy who wanted Lampard ahead on the basis that he won premier league titles and Gerrard obviously didn’t.

I don’t think there’d be many changes to this considering there’s only been two full seasons since we did it. Seeing it was done after Hazard’s dreadful 2015/16 and that he has had two exceptional seasons since then I’d have him quiet a bit higher now. Kane has had four consecutive seasons as one of the top two leading scorers so he’d make an appearance. Silva has probably gone up a level under pep so I’d move him up also. Most of the players who have excelled under Pep, Klopp and Poch are probably still a couple of seasons short of making this list imo though.

Could be an idea to do a list of the players during the 2010’s seeing as this is the last season of the decade. That would obviously make it a lot more current

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be an idea to do a list of the players during the 2010’s seeing as this is the last season of the decade. That would obviously make it a lot more current
Bookmark this idea for Jan 2020.

Looking at the full list Kane would probably take the spot before Le Tissier, Aguero would get into the top 10. Silva would be around the 20-mark

Maybe you could do a 'best 11' at the end too
Sounds good.

Though I guess what's going to be hard to determine is player's who had their prime in this period, then left, or one's who had a few good seasons and then fallen off a cliff, or retired etc.

Hm. Some thinking to do I guess!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back