The 93rd Academy Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The 93rd Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, will honour the best films released between January 1, 2020, and February 28, 2021. The ceremony starts 26 April 2021, 10:00 AEST.

The nominations for the main awards -

Best Picture
“The Father” (David Parfitt, Jean-Louis Livi and Philippe Carcassonne, producers)

“Judas and the Black Messiah” (Shaka King, Charles D. King and Ryan Coogler, producers)

“Mank” (Ceán Chaffin, Eric Roth and Douglas Urbanski, producers)

“Minari” (Christina Oh, producer)

“Nomadland” (Frances McDormand, Peter Spears, Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey and Chloé Zhao, producers)

“Promising Young Woman” (Ben Browning, Ashley Fox, Emerald Fennell and Josey McNamara, producers)

“Sound of Metal” (Bert Hamelinck and Sacha Ben Harroche, producers)

“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Marc Platt and Stuart Besser, producers)

Best Director
Thomas Vinterberg (“Another Round”)

David Fincher (“Mank”)

Lee Isaac Chung (“Minari”)

Chloé Zhao (“Nomadland”)

Emerald Fennell (“Promising Young Woman”)

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”)

Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Anthony Hopkins (“The Father”)

Gary Oldman (“Mank”)

Steven Yeun (“Minari”)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Andra Day (“The United States v. Billie Holiday”)

Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)

Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)

Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”)

Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

Leslie Odom Jr. (“One Night in Miami”)

Paul Raci (“Sound of Metal”)

Lakeith Stanfield (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Maria Bakalova (‘Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)

Glenn Close (“Hillbilly Elegy”)

Olivia Colman (“The Father”)

Amanda Seyfried (“Mank”)

Yuh-jung Youn (“Minari”)

Best Picture chances I see like this:

Favourite: Nomadland
Challenger: ProYo, Minari
Longshots: Trial, The Father, Sound of Metal
0%: Mank, Judas (no Screenplay/Editing and Director/Editing respectively is fatal)

ProYo is the only realistic chance at upsetting Nomadland for mine.

Last edited:

Sound of metal is one I have seen off the Best Picture list, last week
I liked it. The ending is stark but poignant.
NSWCROW it has Norman Bates girlfriend as the supporting actor and she is fantastic in her role
Won’t win best pic but a satisfying movie
Doe eyes !!!

If the SAG awards are any guide, many Oscars will go to African-American nominees or those from other minorities. Not because of any woke tokenism, mind you. And if you're cynical enough to think that, shame on you.

Having said that, Chloé Zhao's Nomadland is the best film I've seen among those nominated.

The BAFTAs were held this week. The main awards went to

Best Film : Nomadland
Outstanding British Film : Promising Young Woman
Director : Nomadland (Chloé Zhao)
Leading Actress : Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
Leading Actor : Anthony Hopkins (The Father)

It was a wholly remote event. Neither McDormand or Hopkins bothered to Zoom in to accept their awards.

Apparently the Oscars will not allow nominees/winners to appear by video but have set up multiple venues to avoid travel issues.

The BAFTAs were held this week. The main awards went to

Best Film : Nomadland
Outstanding British Film : Promising Young Woman
Director : Nomadland (Chloé Zhao)
Leading Actress : Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
Leading Actor : Anthony Hopkins (The Father)

The BAFTAs have always been biased towards home grown talent.

Does anybody actually care anymore?

Aside the artists & technicians nominated, I guess the studios/distributors still care. But the ratings for these awards shows have been declining for years.

But sometimes a nominated film will find a wider audience. ‘Sound of Metal’ wasn’t on my radar until recently.

Last edited:
Does anybody actually care anymore?

It still holds a degree of prestige...

For mine ive seen the following 4 (will try to see the others before the ceremony)

“Judas and the Black Messiah” (Shaka King, Charles D. King and Ryan Coogler, producers)

“Mank” (Ceán Chaffin, Eric Roth and Douglas Urbanski, producers)

“Promising Young Woman” (Ben Browning, Ashley Fox, Emerald Fennell and Josey McNamara, producers)

“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Marc Platt and Stuart Besser, producers)

Of those i would rank them

1. Promising Young Woman
2. Trial of the Chicago 7
3. Judas
4. Mank

If Mank wins its gotta be a career recognition award more than the film winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to tag rask in here and ask if he agrees or not, but I fear it would spark WWIII :roflv1:
I am talking about when they were still in the Cabin.Those two actors reminded me of a scene from The Hangover. Unsure if they were comedy acting or trying to be serious. Either way it was poor and ruined the ending

I am talking about when they were still in the Cabin.Those two actors reminded me of a scene from The Hangover. Unsure if they were comedy acting or trying to be serious. Either way it was poor and ruined the ending
I think it was intended that way, given the song choice for the next scene and general tongue in cheek tone.

Personally I liked it, slick dark humour.

I think it was intended that way, given the song choice for the next scene and general tongue in cheek tone.

Personally I liked it, slick dark humour.
Yeah I think that was the point.

It almost WAS The Hangover, but with the female's perspective and dark tone thrown in.

The director did the same thing with the love storyline - planted this dark story into a Kate Hudson/Katherine Heigl romcom.

Promising Young Woman had a shocker of an ending that really undermined itself and its messages, and made it the opposite of empowering (questions about the acting aside). It would be the worst of the eight options for Best Picture.

Still better than Green Book though.

Promising Young Woman had a shocker of an ending that really undermined itself and its messages, and made it the opposite of empowering (questions about the acting aside). It would be the worst of the eight options for Best Picture.

Still better than Green Book though.
Im curious what you think it could have done better? Probably best moved to the PYW thread but i would like to know how it undermined its messages.

Im curious what you think it could have done better? Probably best moved to the PYW thread but i would like to know how it undermined its messages.

I mean, to begin with her acts of revenge could've been better - she catches guys ready to assault her and she gives them a stern talking to, so as a sexploitation revenge film it didn't really work to begin with, unless it nailed the ending.

Which it didn't do -
there's no absolution in death, the solution being with the police is greatly at odds with the zeitgeist. She's only ever really doing this for herself and not for her friend, who barely registers as a character (in absence), and yet we lather on the religious imagery that makes Cassie a Jesus figure even as she's denying the actual victim's right to self-determination.
It makes a mess out of empowerment, and isn't schlocky enough for pure fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back