A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Nix add character and colour - more than several league clubs.

Same time if they aren't adding value to the league (tv pay deal, media exsposure, attendance numbers) it's time to move forward without them. The league needs to build or perish. If the kiwis don't add value it's time to speculate elsewhere

Character and colour? You been to one of their games? It's 14 shirtless blokes and and an atmosphere that NPL clubs would be embarrassed with. Would not be one single supporter base that would care if they won or lost to Phoenix.

Character and colour? You been to one of their games? It's 14 shirtless blokes and and an atmosphere that NPL clubs would be embarrassed with. Would not be one single supporter base that would care if they won or lost to Phoenix.
Yep, I'm triggered.
Did you watch the game against Brisbane? 6.8k sounded at least like 15k, and away fans say it's the best away trip. Sure, we're nothing compared to the Victory who are situated in Australia's sporting capital and have the biggest supporter base, but the hardcore supporters in the capital are some of the most loyal and vocal there are.

What is it like watching Football and Rugby at Westpac Stadium? The ground size is pretty small and the stands look steep. Doesn't look too bad. The crowd noise sounded good against Brisbane too in the last game.

Yep, I'm triggered.
Did you watch the game against Brisbane? 6.8k sounded at least like 15k, and away fans say it's the best away trip. Sure, we're nothing compared to the Victory who are situated in Australia's sporting capital and have the biggest supporter base, but the hardcore supporters in the capital are some of the most loyal and vocal there are.
One game doesn't make a club and the fact you banged in four goals helped the cause. Best away trip in the A League according to who? Sure, people might get excited to go "overseas" but as a ground to attend as an away trip it's miles below that of Adelaide (Hindmarsh) and Perth (NIB).

One game doesn't make a club and the fact you banged in four goals helped the cause. Best away trip in the A League according to who? Sure, people might get excited to go "overseas" but as a ground to attend as an away trip it's miles below that of Adelaide (Hindmarsh) and Perth (NIB).
It's the accumulation of the season so far, not JUST the 4 goals. There is a buzz around the city.
And it's according to all the away fans I've seen make comments about travelling over on twitter and reddit. I've never heard a bad thing from them, everyone seems to enjoy it.

We do need a rectangular stadium a la Hindmarsh though. Having one empty side isn't ideal, and the fact that the seats are yellow just make it stand out more.

People forget the aim of the A-League was to foster Australian talent, create youth pathways, and allow for people to be professional in their own country (ie those not good enough for Europe or unable to get visas).

Wellington don’t add to that.

Sky basically broadcast their game for free. There’s no TV money. Their attendances are bad and they’re unsuccessful. The two or three real quality All Whites came through English and European systems. New Zealand soccer should be paying for the privilege to take part in a pro comp, they shouldn’t be getting a free ride.

Anyway I was watching the news this morning and everyone was saying how Hobart is a huge buzz this time of year. Huge internal tourism but a heap from the mainland. Apparently just a carnival vibe. How good would Tasmania v Victory be on the 27th or 28th to reap in those yacht fans?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wellington Stadium looks fine... if you're there to watch cricket. Not surprised Phoenix crowds aren't great. I'd never go to another Victory game if they played full time on an oval.

Wellington Stadium looks fine... if you're there to watch cricket. Not surprised Phoenix crowds aren't great. I'd never go to another Victory game if they played full time on an oval.
Also why wanderers crowds are dwindling, you get two choices, a soul less cricket oval, or a soul-less empty ground.

The sooner parra stadium is built the better for the league.

Also why wanderers crowds are dwindling, you get two choices, a soul less cricket oval, or a soul-less empty ground.

The sooner parra stadium is built the better for the league.
That's not their issue though.

Their fans cut and run the moment it gets difficult.

Watch them turn up for Macarthur.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's 100% an issue man, every wanderers fan despises these grounds. Although I'll assume you're a Sydney fan by those comments ;)
I'm Skyblue all the way.

But.

Since those half hearts joined the comp all we have heard is they are the best in the business. "Most loyal" "Will never leave you" blah blah blah.
They have a rough time of it for a season or 2 and they disappear. To be fair they never outdrew us or Victory (hell did they outdraw Roar?) So allot of it was just all talk from them.

I do find it ridiculously stupid that they play their games at the Showgrounds instead of Penrith or Campbelltown.
Sydney have shown that it works with good crowds at Kogarah and hopefully Leichhardt soon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Penrith from all accounts was great for the FFA cup, should've been used, far better than showgrounds which is a joke for a-league.

Hopefully Parra Stadium, upgraded Allianz + SWS can revitalize Sydney as a city for A-League

It will be interesting to see what sort of a crowd they pull if they can snag another draw against Adelaide and maybe a win against WS at their next home game. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the 20k last friday night which I thought was pretty bloody good.

It will be interesting to see what sort of a crowd they pull if they can snag another draw against Adelaide and maybe a win against WS at their next home game. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the 20k last friday night which I thought was pretty bloody good.

20k for a Victory home game? pretty normal for the Victory isn't it?

Not against the Nix. And our allocation was pretty much full as well, so it seemed like a great atmosphere.

One of the biggest gripes has been their drawing power, but I thought it was obvious Wellington being in form boosted the crowd.

Be some kind of kick in the guts if Phoenix fans finally get their act together now only to lose their license.

Be some kind of kick in the guts if Phoenix fans finally get their act together now only to lose their license.
Wouldn't be surprised, really. But let's get the fans there first. Still haven't hit the 10k at home just yet, but that possibly might change if the boys stay undefeated after the WSW match as Central Coast come to Westpac.
What is it like watching Football and Rugby at Westpac Stadium? The ground size is pretty small and the stands look steep. Doesn't look too bad. The crowd noise sounded good against Brisbane too in the last game.
Before I searched for the photos, I didn't think they looked that steep at all (based off of watching on TV, because I haven't been to the stadium) but here's a few images that do actually have a pretty good view.
westpacstadium.jpg

stadium__ScaleHeightWzUwMF0.jpg

6698014.jpg
Westpac_Stadium_Crowd.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01/11/western-melbourne-make-first-coaching-appointment/

Sensible acquisition there. Has the credentials and also knowledge of the NPL talent out there.

IMO Western Melbourne would be smart to also adopt Bentleigh Greens colours... as these are absent from the A League and signify growth in what is a growth region...rather than imitate the green and white hoops of Celtic
Canberra's coming in to the league on 2 years, they'll have green for sure. No point stealing theirs.

I've done Wellington away twice for the A-League and it is the best away trip in the league by a country mile. Underrated city with lots of great pubs, friendliest supporters, I had fans shout me drinks as well. As a fan who is currently very disillusioned with the way the A-League and my club Brisbane Roar is run, if the FFA boot Wellington (and don't bring back GCU so we can have an actual rival again) I would officially be done with the league.

The A-League should expand to 16 teams then back down to 14 once a second division is created, the next four teams should be (in no particular order)
Canberra, Gold Coast United's return, Wollongong and the South East Melbourne/Dandenong bid.

Once a second division is created the teams should be the two relegated A-League teams, a combined Brisbane Strikers/Brisbane City bid (Brisbane United) playing at Perry Park, Northern Fury if they can get the funds to go again, Tasmania and the best NPL teams to fill out the remaining spots

Back