A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We can disagree but that doesnt change the demographics of South Melbourne FC. Theyre an ideal club for top level NPL but just simply are too localised to ever be considered for the A League.

And thats why they keep failing with bids and will continue to do so unless they completely rebrand the club from the ground up which is pretty much a new club in any case.

I'm guessing when you use the word "localised", that's a euphemism.
In the last round, they were far and away the very best candidate for inclusion as Melbourne's third team.

I'm guessing when you use the word "localised", that's a euphemism.
In the last round, they were far and away the very best candidate for inclusion as Melbourne's third team.

If they were they would have come under serious consideration for A League. They're a very localised team who have always appealed mostly to the greek community of Melbourne. Great for NPL competition, not so great for a national competition team. They won't be bringing large numbers of fans, most SM fans I know already attend A League games. They don't have a suitable venue (GP will cause chaos with the A League season in March and it's an athletics track) so they bring nothing new to the table. That's the problem with the bid and why it will never get up. Harsh, but reality.

If they were they would have come under serious consideration for A League. They're a very localised team who have always appealed mostly to the greek community of Melbourne. Great for NPL competition, not so great for a national competition team. They won't be bringing large numbers of fans, most SM fans I know already attend A League games. They don't have a suitable venue (GP will cause chaos with the A League season in March and it's an athletics track) so they bring nothing new to the table. That's the problem with the bid and why it will never get up. Harsh, but reality.
It's also too metropolitan. If south were put in instead of heart it could be different (although they would of either had to move to aami or kick out the athletics). 3 Victorian sides works but only if the the third side is either Dandenong, the west or somewhere like Geelong. Now city has moved to Casey, maybe only one time can work in the city region.

Would make sense for Westen United to move south and become Southern United in Tassie. Can see the govt chipping in for a 15k multipurpose recantgular stadium down there whereas WUFC have to fund it themselves out in Tarneit.

They made a big deal about Uniting the Western area but all they did was alienate pockets, they never fully got the support of the Inner West or the South West and as they could not train in the Tarneit area it's basically doomed here.

I agree they should move South to Tassie but call it Apple Isle FC or Island State FC.

They made a big deal about Uniting the Western area but all they did was alienate pockets, they never fully got the support of the Inner West or the South West and as they could not train in the Tarneit area it's basically doomed here.

I agree they should move South to Tassie but call it Apple Isle FC or Island State FC.

Apple Isle FC could work Huge commercial opportunities with Apple.

If I was looking at expanding the competition, I would expand to the following regions in order

1. Canberra
2. Second Queensland team (Possibly Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or a second Brisbane team)
3. Tasmania
4. Second New Zealand team (would be viable once COVID is over)
5. Darwin
6. Second teams in Western Australia and South Australia
7. then we can introduce clubs like Wollongong Wolves, South Melbourne etc

One thing that I am big on across all sports and would love to see is genuine home grounds where other teams don't share!

In an ideal world for the A-League this would be the new stadia but then one-three games a season to take to grassroots and smaller venues also regional to the fans.

Adelaide United- Coopers Stadium
Brisbane Roar- Redcliffe Stadium
Central Coast Mariners- Central Coast Stadium
Macarthur FC- Campbelltown Stadium
Melbourne City- Dandenong Stadium
Melbourne Victory- AAMI Park
Newcastle Jets- McDonald Jones Stadium
Perth Glory- HBF Park
Sydney FC- Sydney Football Stadium
Wellington Phoenix- Sky Stadium
Western Sydney Wanderers- Bankwest Stadium
Western United- Wyndham Stadium

Expansion home venues
Canberra- GIO Stadium
New Queensland team- Cbus Super Stadium or Sunshine Coast Stadium
Tasmania- UTAS Stadium
Second New Zealand- Depending where the team will be based
Darwin- NT Football Stadium or the new Darwin Stadium
Second WA team- the new redeveloped WACA Ground
Second SA team- Adelaide Oval

If I was looking at expanding the competition, I would expand to the following regions in order

1. Canberra
2. Second Queensland team (Possibly Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or a second Brisbane team)
3. Tasmania
5. Darwin

One thing that I am big on across all sports and would love to see is genuine home grounds where other teams don't share!

In an ideal world for the A-League this would be the new stadia but then one-three games a season to take to grassroots and smaller venues also regional to the fans.

Perth Glory- HBF Park

Expansion home venues
Canberra- GIO Stadium
Tasmania- UTAS Stadium

If Roar are at Redcliffe why have a 2ndQld team on Sunny Coast?
At least make it a true Brisbane side or put it In Ipswich

If Roar are at Redcliffe why have a 2ndQld team on Sunny Coast?
At least make it a true Brisbane side or put it In Ipswich
Roar are training up on the Gold coast atm. Would think any second team in Queensland would been to be in the borth of the state or find a proper Brisbane based location especially for training, so Ipswich might be a good option.

1. Canberra
3. Tasmania
5. Darwin

Perth Glory- HBF Park

Expansion home venues
Canberra- GIO Stadium
Tasmania- UTAS Stadium

It's a bit incongruous that a team called Melbourne City would be located out in the boondocks.

Roar are training up on the Gold coast atm. Would think any second team in Queensland would been to be in the borth of the state or find a proper Brisbane based location especially for training, so Ipswich might be a good option.

Yes they are doing that to be outside the Brisbane Bubble but they play in Redcliffe.
They did announce to build their own stadium but that hasn't seen the light of day.

Brisbane Roar is not the same club that started in Inala but a different entity.

Brisbane Roar have a team that is in the NPL Qld but is only a seconds or thirds side and the Original Holandia club that turned into the Roar now has a team in the same league called Lions FC.
Complicated yes.

That Brisbane Roar side utilises the Inala ground.

Yes they are doing that to be outside the Brisbane Bubble but they play in Redcliffe.
They did announce to build their own stadium but that hasn't seen the light of day.

Brisbane Roar is not the same club that started in Inala but a different entity.

Brisbane Roar have a team that is in the NPL Qld but is only a seconds or thirds side and the Original Holandia club that turned into the Roar now has a team in the same league called Lions FC.
Complicated yes.

That Brisbane Roar side utilises the Inala ground.
I had thought Brisbane had moved training to the Gold coast prior to covid. There had also been a suggestion that there is a new owner coming in for the roar.

I had thought Brisbane had moved training to the Gold coast prior to covid. There had also been a suggestion that there is a new owner coming in for the roar.

That was in 2020, but they still play out of Redcliffe (for now) They've moved more than North Melbourne.

Don't know who the new owners will be as it's to hard to guess what the FFA will do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they'll announce this to soften the blow of the stupid decision they made today.
It’s a rubbish issue though.

Easiest way to cover their tracks is to say no more expansion.

All promotion to bring it up to 16 is through a NSD.

Then 1 team up 1 team down.

No way all 4 NPL chook raffle clubs get ahead of professional A-League clubs unless they are massive * ups.

Then the whole second division is on those clubs and that AFCC thing.

All the benefits and none of the blame should it fail.

But as todays announcement shows the APL have no clue on how to make football fans happy and benefit the country.

It’s a rubbish issue though.

Easiest way to cover their tracks is to say no more expansion.

All promotion to bring it up to 16 is through a NSD.

Then 1 team up 1 team down.

No way all 4 NPL chook raffle clubs get ahead of professional A-League clubs unless they are massive * ups.

Then the whole second division is on those clubs and that AFCC thing.

All the benefits and none of the blame should it fail.

But as todays announcement shows the APL have no clue on how to make football fans happy and benefit the country.

I seem the APL introducing these new entities to act as a "buffer" for the bigger clubs when relegation is introduced. The more teams in the A-League, the smaller chance of the big boys going down. So I wouldn't be surprised if after Canberra and Auckland we get another two more. Then promotion and relegation. If they don't add the third and fourth teams, then they could start promotion from the second tier a few years earlier.

Some of the areas that have been thrown around:

Canberra - Seem to be the next in line. Already have a women's team. Hopefully the public there get behind it.

Auckland - A NZ derby should be awesome and might grow both areas better. Large population. Good for broadcast timeslots and always having a match on the isle each week. Co-hosting the Women's World Cup and having future World Cup qualification practically guaranteed should give another boost to re-ignite the area.

Tasmania - I feel the league might have missed the boat here. They could've entered years ago, but will probably now be buried by the imminent AFL team. Maybe not, maybe the people will get behind all of their state sports teams?

Gold Coast - Have an untapped population, and $$$ I'd imagine. Wouldn't mind a second chance now that the fat sh*thead has departed them.

Wollongong - A known quantity. More of a NSD candidate for me, give other regions a chance to grow in the A-League first.

FNQ - The summer monsoon weather certainly didn't help there previous attempt. Might be a candidate for a winter NSD team, although they've struggled to exist in the NPL.

Darwin - Like FNQ, the summer weather would suck. And could they sustain A-League numbers? A smaller population than Townsville! Another candidate for the winter NSD, at least down the track.

Adelaide 2nd - Could be a good option, but they really are "United" there. I wouldn't want to see them cannibalise the Reds.

Perth - I can't see a second team from there for quite a while, unless they get promoted from the second tier in 10 years time.

NZ south island - It has been mooted, possibly out of Christchurch. When the NZ clubs get relegated in future where would they go? To our second tier?

Singapore - Dollars. That is all. They would only be included for the money they could bring to the league. If we get to this stage you know we're in trouble haha, although I wouldn't put it past Townsend!

Canberra, Auckland and Tasmania would have to be new entities, although maybe Canberra enters with the women's team name "United". Football Australia have stated that they wouldn't mind if new entities entered via the NSD, but I can't see Canberra and Auckland thriving unless it's straight to the top tier. Wollongong is a prime candidate for the second tier. Tassie and Gold Coast might get the APL nod ahead of the Gong, otherwise the NSD should work well for them. Anyone else who could put their bid in out of the blue? Another NSW team can f*ck straight off. Victoria need to make what they already have work. I think Tassie and GC would be the next two after this Canberra and Auckland potentially entering.

Shift Western to Geelong and City to Dandenong (already happening isn't it?).

End of the day, I'm fine with giving new entities a chance in the top tier. Don't be afraid to fail. If they don't make it, there should be one or two healthy teams coming up from the NSD by then. But now is the time to give them a chance.

Singapore?

NBL tried that and it failed very miserably.

I can't see NZ getting a second team any time soon, but that's just my opinion.

Canberra has been a no-brainer for years, and it really makes me wonder why they don't already have a team.

Gold Coast and NQ... Yeah, you'd wanna hope that the previous attempt hasn't killed off any future possibilities.

Wollongong is also a no brainer with the Wolves.

Adelaide #2... It's not all "United" as there are plenty of people who don't follow them, and have been lost to the national game since City pulled out. I'd be more inclined to go to a Adelaide City game.

South Melbourne is also a big no-brainer if they ever go down the path of more Melbourne teams.

No way. A second Adelaide team just wouldn't have the support. Adelaide City's crowds were s**t.
A side pulling 3,000 or 4,000 at best has no place in the league and it would also pull some of Adelaide's current support.
A second Adelaide team isn't happening any time soon.

Auckland is a great idea. It's a big city. There is no team. Having two teams in NZ will hopefully be good for both teams.

Agree with the league if they're planning on Canberra and Auckland as the next two.

Don't mind the Auckland idea, but I would be getting Tassie in first. I'd expand with 4 new clubs to go to 16 teams, give them a few seasons whilst the NSD is simultaneously established, and then pro/rel. I'd be tempted to go in consecutive seasons, 4 seasons running to get there as quickly as possible.
1. Tasmania (should be called either Hobart or Launceston)
2. Canberra
3. Auckland
4. Bit of a wildcard here, whichever place brings out the next best bid.

No way. A second Adelaide team just wouldn't have the support. Adelaide City's crowds were s**t.
A side pulling 3,000 or 4,000 at best has no place in the league and it would also pull some of Adelaide's current support.
A second Adelaide team isn't happening any time soon.

Auckland is a great idea. It's a big city. There is no team. Having two teams in NZ will hopefully be good for both teams.

Agree with the league if they're planning on Canberra and Auckland as the next two.

I remember Adelaide City getting shithouse crowds than Adelaide United starting up and getting 11-13k immediately at the end of the NSL.

Adelaide & Perth will remain one team cities for quite some time.

I remember Adelaide City getting shithouse crowds than Adelaide United starting up and getting 11-13k immediately at the end of the NSL.

Adelaide & Perth will remain one team cities for quite some time.

Adelaide City crowds were so bad they wanted to play games at Norwood Oval before chucking the shits and leaving the NSL.

Back