• No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're relying on other clubs to improve you then you have more issues at stake. It can be good for off the pitch type benefits but if you're on field improvement relies on that you are in big big trouble.

There was a rivalry?
Yep, the only Brisbane v Gold Coast fixture in any sport to have a genuine rivalry. GCU were so, so dislikable.

Also the Den was at the peak when we played GCU

If you're relying on other clubs to improve you then you have more issues at stake. It can be good for off the pitch type benefits but if you're on field improvement relies on that you are in big big trouble.
Our club actually does have a lot of issues, the Bakrie group is the main problem but I also believe being the only A-League team in Queensland has made us very complacent as an organisation.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This is warring?

Western Melbourne's Kardinia Park plans uncertain

New A-League addition Western Melbourne Group are no closer to a deal on where to play their home games from October.

And Kardinia Park boss Michael Brown has warned the ambitious franchise they're unlikely to be able to accommodate all their home fixtures next season.

Western Melbourne were granted entry into the 2019/2020 competition after winning a hotly-contested expansion race last season.

Their proposal was to play matches out of the Geelong stadium while building a club-owned facility at Tarneit, but a deal is yet to be done, largely because of unknowns around next year's A-League fixture with the addition of an 11th team.

Brown said he was eager to see finalised plans from the club and FFA.

"There is no agreement. There is an interim discussion," he said.

"We need information as to when they want to play their games, what does it mean for AFLW, for cricket ... when do they want to play their major games, their derbies.

"There's a long way to go and it needs to happen relatively quickly.

"We welcome them and we'll sit with them and we'll work with whatever we can do to accommodate them.

"It's going to be very difficult to play 13 home games here and we've said that from the start.

"There's a lesser number that we think, all that needs to be worked out and it will happen in the coming weeks."

Western Melbourne will present back to the trust on February 15.

The club aren't concerned by the lack of a deal, and are currently exploring other venues in the region that may be interested and have the capacity to host matches.

The 36,000-capacity venue will next host top-flight football on March 2, when Melbourne Victory host Newcastle Jets.

Victory have played matches in Geelong for the past five years after abandoning a foray into Tasmania; memorably beating Atletico Madrid in a pre-season friendly and qualifying for the Asian Champions League there on previous visits.

Chief executive Trent Jacobs said the club didn't want to leave Geelong simply because Western Melbourne had arrived.

"We're going into our 15th year next year. We've built a mature fan base (and) we recognise that some of that is down in Geelong," he said.

Jacobs said the club's intention was to continue to host A-League matches at Kardinia Park, though they were awaiting details on next season's fixture from FFA.

Brown said Victory were welcome tenants.

"What I've seen from Victory and Trent is they are committed to long term building a relationship here ... that's the sort of stuff we want to see," he said.

... that's the sort of stuff we want to see," he said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...nia-park-plans-uncertain-20190131-p50uwe.html

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Seen the vote is up for the West Melbourne team name and colours. However, as a non-victorian I can't see the options for anything, would anyone be able to shed some light on what the options are?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Tell me why this club got accepted over Team 11 again please.

No permanent ground. No temporary ground. Still no idea who is really funding it. No supporters.

FB_IMG_1548987855232.jpg

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Westside Pride has been registered. People think that may be the name.
The other 4 have been as well.
Western Melbourne Warriors
Western Melbourne Athletic
Western Athletic
Western Melbourne FC
Westside Pride.

Western Athletic
Western Melbourne FC
Westside Pride.
Oh didn't see that. Nice pickup.

Western Athletic probably the best of the bunch but they're all pretty poor imo.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not really.

South was what 2 mins away from Victory and City?

The 2 new clubs were at least in a different region.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is exactly my point, west melb don’t know whether they will be Geelong, Tarneit, Ballarat or even AAMI Park. How could that bid possibly be deemed the best when it’s no closer to even securing a temporary base?

The 2 mins away excuse is lame, South had its own venue, a long term stable lease and ready made facilities.

If the ffa can bypass afc regulations I guarantee you WMG will end up playing at AAMI Park.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
This is exactly my point, west melb don’t know whether they will be Geelong, Tarneit, Ballarat or even AAMI Park. How could that bid possibly be deemed the best when it’s no closer to even securing a temporary base?

Because of the long term goals and being on a new region of a major city.

The 2 mins away excuse is lame, South had its own venue, a long term stable lease and ready made facilities.

If it's so lame why is every man and his dog saying we have to get new regions a team?

Why is Souths ground (that's a kilometer away from the field) is ok but Cricket grounds arent ok?

At least the 2 new clubs had football stadiums in the pipeline.

If the ffa can bypass afc regulations I guarantee you WMG will end up playing at AAMI Park.

We shall see I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Not really.

South was what 2 mins away from Victory and City?

The 2 new clubs were at least in a different region.

* me mate, where'd you get the jet pack that got you from AAMI Park to Lakeside in 2 minutes?!

Given what we continue to read about Kardinia Park, and given my own cynicism about the Tarneit stadium - cos why in the living * would you build a stadium at Tarneit? - I think there's at least a 90% chance that they end up at AAMI.

Western Athletic
Western Melbourne FC
Westside Pride.

That's a diabolical list of potential names. It reads like it's been dreamed up by someone who has never been to Melbourne, and thinks it's a carbon copy of Sydney.

The Western Bulldogs may have been able to pull off the name... after a century of establishing Footscray - but Western Melbourne doesn't have a distinct identity as a region that's going to draw people to the team (unlike, say... the south-eastern suburbs.)

I don't know the answer to the name... maybe there isn't one though, this was never the right option.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AAMI Park is definately the end game here, it’s the only way to gain any traction within Melbourne and it’s the only venue that guarantees 100% of your potential fan base isn’t forced to drive to some dump in the middle of nowhere..brings public transport into play as well and it’s a world class venue from the get go. WMG will get better crowds at aami no if’s or buts.

Let’s not pretend Kardinia Park is better than lakeside for our code, I’ve watched games at both venues and it’s insulting to suggest an Aussie rules ground with a cricket pitch taking up a couple of months of summer is better than a multi purpose football/athletics venue..which is common around the world.

I even personally hope they end up at aami...it’s the only way I’m ever turning up to watch them.

Back