A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong is only an interim venue, any fans they can pick up from there will be a bonus.

With regard to Tarneit - there will be a precinct structure plan before any development can commence for the surrounding area, with a focus around the stadium I'd imagine. Plus, the proposed site location is only a few hundred metres from the the primary train line and it was my understanding that there is a station being proposed. So depending on how things pan out, it could well be an activity hub in the outer western suburbs.

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic/naiive, but the more I look into it, the more I think it may actually turn out to be a good move. Tarneit is also far enough from the city that there is a clear delineation between central Melbourne and the western suburbs. So on that front, I think distance is actually an asset.
Integrity of the bid and location itself aside, I just mean the name 'Western Melbourne' doesn't really seem to fit.

Geographic boundaries don't mean everything, but Tarneit isn't even included within the greater city of Melbourne.

I mean Frankston, Werribee are but do those people identify as Melburnians? The people I know who've grown up in those areas say they're from Werribee or say they grew up on the peninsula.

Those places are just former country towns and regional centres that've become the outer blankets of major city sprawl.

If a team was to start in Ipswich, I don't think they'd go Western Brisbane. Mandurah in WA would be Peel or Mandurah, not Southern Perth. There are plenty of places that are connected by rail and by the ABS as part of a capital city, but historically aren't and have a different demographic. Fremantle is 30 minutes by railway to Perth and even that is half-town of its own and half a suburb. People from Freo are generally going to stick to hanging out in Fremantle, and you'd say places like White Gum Valley, Bicton, Beaconsfield are all suburbs of Freo more than they are suburbs of Perth.

I dunno I just don't think it's especially 'Western Melbourne.'

If you're playing in Geelong for a few years, it'd be a huge failure to not actively go after that city as a possible supporter base. Otherwise you might as well not compete in the league at all for those years. And I'm not sure how many people down there will fall for being a Melbourne team, and I'm not sure people in that area see themselves as 'western' anything. They're from Geelong or the Bellarine area.

Tarneit is so far out that it's not even viewed as being part of the Western Suburbs.

Not sure how that could ever be considered an asset.
It's not that different to plunking a team in Bacchus Marsh and calling them Ballarat Bandits or Greater Melbourne Meadows.

Tarneit is so far out that it's not even viewed as being part of the Western Suburbs.

Depends on what you call the Western Suburbs. If you're limiting it to Footscray, Sunshine and their surrounding suburbs then sure. But if you consider Werribee part of them, then Tarneit would be too.

Integrity of the bid and location itself aside, I just mean the name 'Western Melbourne' doesn't really seem to fit.

Geographic boundaries don't mean everything, but Tarneit isn't even included within the greater city of Melbourne.

I mean Frankston, Werribee are but do those people identify as Melburnians? The people I know who've grown up in those areas say they're from Werribee or say they grew up on the peninsula.

Those places are just former country towns and regional centres that've become the outer blankets of major city sprawl.

If a team was to start in Ipswich, I don't think they'd go Western Brisbane. Mandurah in WA would be Peel or Mandurah, not Southern Perth. There are plenty of places that are connected by rail and by the ABS as part of a capital city, but historically aren't and have a different demographic. Fremantle is 30 minutes by railway to Perth and even that is half-town of its own and half a suburb. People from Freo are generally going to stick to hanging out in Fremantle, and you'd say places like White Gum Valley, Bicton, Beaconsfield are all suburbs of Freo more than they are suburbs of Perth.

I dunno I just don't think it's especially 'Western Melbourne.'

If you're playing in Geelong for a few years, it'd be a huge failure to not actively go after that city as a possible supporter base. Otherwise you might as well not compete in the league at all for those years. And I'm not sure how many people down there will fall for being a Melbourne team, and I'm not sure people in that area see themselves as 'western' anything. They're from Geelong or the Bellarine area.
I think we're largely on the same page for most part. I would like the club to call itself Wyndham, rather than Western Melbourne or any variation thereof.

With regard to Tarneit in the context of Melbourne, the proposed stadium site is within the Melbourne Urban Growth Boundary, as is the surrounding Tarneit area. The site is going to be developed, it is just a matter of how - with the Wyndham CC backing the bid, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Rubbish, of course it is. Tarneit is only 25km from the Melbourne CBD, the same as Noble Park, Ringwood and Mordialloc. Closer to melbourne than Dandenong, home of the losing bid.

Ringwood is in the middle of a huge, built up, populated part of Melbourne. It's a desireable place to live.

You head out to Tarneit if you're looking for cheap housing, and it is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. No one chooses to go out there. You're certainly not going to head out there for a night out.

Ringwood is in the middle of a huge, built up, populated part of Melbourne. It's a desireable place to live.

tenor.gif

I think we're largely on the same page for most part. I would like the club to call itself Wyndham, rather than Western Melbourne or any variation thereof.

Hard to believe really that Westside Pride is an option in the poll and Wyndham is not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Green and Black the colours.

At least it's not blue. Again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Would have thought Green would be saved for Canberra... Eh. Best outcome from a shitty bunch of options.

Apparently the parent company of Western Athletic are the owners of Birmingham City FC. And, apparently, they’re into real estate.

If you’re an optimist... or a pessimist... people on the A-League reddit reckon they’re no longer backing the bid. Basically, the new stadium was supposed to be in the centre of a housing development which would skyrocket the price. But a downturn in the economy’s scared them off.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Naaah. The article is all speculation and in no way relates to the clickbait title TWG gives their articles against us, so I'm not concerned :)

Fair enough. Can't say I've read that website much. Hopefully we can lock him in a bit longer.

Risdon has been baaaad at the Wanderers. Lost those second efforts and the confidence to overlap with a winger that he had at the Glory.

A mate whose friend works at the Glory reckons that Brad Jones is going to come back to WA. Would be classic A-League if the As signed Liam Reddy.

Back