The A-League, Football in Australia and the CoronaVirus Crisis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
With All football in Australia currently postponed what will this all mean for the game?

Will the A-league survive? If so how will it look? Will Wellington survive?

What about the club owners where have they all been during this time? Do they have a plan how the League will look post virus?

All the grassroots and NPL Leagues how do they survive and get through these difficult times?

Discuss..

Please post all news related to the virus and its impact on football in Australia here.

thank-you!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
If the Virus subsides and people are allowed to go outside, I don't see how they wouldn't start gaining traction again. Bigger crowds looking to actually do something for once. Might actually work in the League's favour. Just need those timeframes to align though...

Odd to bring Welly up specifically, they're fine m8. One of the most financially stable clubs. Sure they work at a loss every season but David Dome and Rob Morrison are onto it. Have both Fox Sports and Sky Sport revenue, but just as long as people don't cancel their subscriptions... Or their memberships. All the Auckland trips help as well. We'll be fine.
They'd be stupid to get rid of the Nux now ;)

I'm more worried for the F1 Derby clubs in all honesty. Especially CCM, with their current owner. How do they recoup and survive when they're at the lowest of lows?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
If the Virus subsides and people are allowed to go outside, I don't see how they wouldn't start gaining traction again. Bigger crowds looking to actually do something for once. Might actually work in the League's favour. Just need those timeframes to align though...

Odd to bring Welly up specifically, they're fine m8. One of the most financially stable clubs. Sure they work at a loss every season but David Dome and Rob Morrison are onto it. Have both Fox Sports and Sky Sport revenue, but just as long as people don't cancel their subscriptions... Or their memberships. All the Auckland trips help as well. We'll be fine.
They'd be stupid to get rid of the Nux now ;)

I'm more worried for the F1 Derby clubs in all honesty. Especially CCM, with their current owner. How do they recoup and survive when they're at the lowest of lows?
I'm sure Wellington are financially in a good position my main problem is the fact they pose a problem being from NZL, are we gonna restrict clubs from other nations in future? Not just with football I mean look at Super Rugby that's now gone to s**t! It's very difficult to manage in times of crisis and we don't want a repeat of this horrible pandemic! I hope we just don't throw Welly under a bus that's all I'm saying, I'll love them to stay and they are as part of the A-league as any other club.

The other big issue is the TV rights, will FOX now tear up the existing contract? where will that leave the league if so? Will FOX survive too? Already I'm hearing so many people have cancelled their subscription due to no sports!

Last edited:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Wellington seem to have given up on the season based upon what was said in there most recent release, with all non Australian players going back to NZ. I don't see any real threat to any of the club's, especially as they are privately owned entities (with the majority of the season already run). Whether it comes back this season (in whatever form or time that works) or they just call it a day (which is totally fair). There will likely be money and jobs lost, and there may be the lost of Foxtel (which I think would allow the game to move on). But compared to other sports there is no reason to be entirely worried about the future of the league or the club's.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Wellington seem to have given up on the season based upon what was said in there most recent release, with all non Australian players going back to NZ. I don't see any real threat to any of the club's, especially as they are privately owned entities (with the majority of the season already run). Whether it comes back this season (in whatever form or time that works) or they just call it a day (which is totally fair). There will likely be money and jobs lost, and there may be the lost of Foxtel (which I think would allow the game to move on). But compared to other sports there is no reason to be entirely worried about the future of the league or the club's.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As long as the Socceroos keep qualifying for World Cups?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ox on 3AW with Tom Elliott just said if the A-league has a clause in it's TV contract that if the season is suspended for more than 20 days for any reason than FOX have the right to tear up the contract. Not sure how much of that is true but it does leave the league somewhat out of the hands.

Last edited:
Ox on 3AW with Tom Elliott just said if the A-league had a clause in it's TV contract that if the season is suspended for more than 20 days for any reason than FOX have the right to tear up the contract. Not sure how much of that is true but it does leave the league somewhat out of the hands.

Any such clauses would be void in the current climate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah maybe. But remember Fox has been trying to lay off the A-league for a while now, We just don't know what will happen.

Force Majeure may be invoked on the part of the A-League though, similar if there is a clause requiring the AFL to have 18 teams.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
I started something, didn't I...
Dont think we need Wellington going forward. Better to have a team thats Australian for this reason. Would like to see Canberra given a go again, Tasmania.
The whole point of expansion is to expand the league, not to replace teams with another one. FFA had their chance to put Canberra and Tassie in this round, but decided against it. Culling teams is against what they should be doing right now if they want that second division.

It's not fair to kick the Nix out over handling a 1-in-100 year pandemic.
Wellington seem to have given up on the season based upon what was said in there most recent release, with all non Australian players going back to NZ.
Given up on our most successful season?
To see their families at home and spend another 14 days in lockdown with them? 😅

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I started something, didn't I...

The whole point of expansion is to expand the league, not to replace teams with another one. FFA had their chance to put Canberra and Tassie in this round, but decided against it. Culling teams is against what they should be doing right now if they want that second division.

It's not fair to kick the Nix out over handling a 1-in-100 year pandemic.

Given up on our most successful season?
To see their families at home and spend another 14 days in lockdown with them?

I do understand why they would want to go home, multiple afl players have done the same thing. From how I read the statement, alas not very well, it seemed like they were happy with the season (Who wouldn’t be) and content that the season was pretty much over.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Looks like where there's smoke, there's fire.

Honestly, the FFA have no one but themselves if Foxtel/Fox Sports pull the pin on the A League.

Would probably spell the end of the Mariners, but I think it could be a good thing in some ways if the A League was not beholden to Foxtel and its dollars.

Looks like where there's smoke, there's fire.

Honestly, the FFA have no one but themselves if Foxtel/Fox Sports pull the pin on the A League.

Would probably spell the end of the Mariners, but I think it could be a good thing in some ways if the A League was not beholden to Foxtel and its dollars.

Sorry how do the A-League have no one but themselves to blame?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
All clubs are losing money as is. We'd be f***ed if we lost foxtel. Every move they've made with the a league has been a step back this year. Could be Optus pick us up on the cheap but a big loss would certainly hurt.

Will Optus be willing to spend on production costs for the A-league through?, It's nice to say Optus is the home of football due to buying the rights to the EPL, UCL etc.. But its all simulcast other then a few experts talking about the game on a couch. I doubt the current A-league ratings will out wight the production cost.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Will Optus be willing to spend on production costs for the A-league through?, It's nice to say Optus is the home of football due to buying the rights to the EPL, UCL etc.. But its all simulcast other then a few experts talking about the game on a couch. I doubt the current A-league ratings will out wight the production cost.
Theyd outsource that I'd suspect

It would be offset by a lot more pubs picking up Optus Sports if they were to also get the Rugby.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I dont know mate I just think Optus might buy it??? Thats a possibility don't you reckon???

yes it could be a possibility but expect a very big reduction in the next rights deal I doubt they'll buy it at its current price!

Personally I would like to have it stay on FOX along with the footy, saves me to have to pay for a second sports subscription, It's bad enough with Netflix, Foxtel, Stan, Amazon how many more subscription do people need?

All these services are gonna bust soon enough we're all gonna go full circle and start pirating again if we haven't already!

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Ugh. This could very well spell the end of the A League (or at least see half the teams go under)

Did anyone else honestly expect a company owned by Emperor Palpatine aka RuTwat Murdork to pony up for unaired content ?. Feel gutted for fans of Welly, CCM,Newcastle etc

The only teams who are guaranteed to survive this are Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory, and probably Adelaide United and Perth Glory.

Could be dark days ahead friends 😥😥😥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back