Remove this Banner Ad

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Should a sold to LFE

Wouldn’t have made a difference.

Obviously don’t want anyone to be stood down, but unfortunately it is what it is atm (especially for those who wont be able to afford being stood down)

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Sage isn’t gonna get away with it that easily!

PFA Statement: Perth Glory stand down notice
March 28, 2020
Professional Footballers Australia (the PFA) has been provided with stand-down notices issued to its members at Perth Glory by owner Tony Sage.

In response, the PFA has served Sage with a letter of demand seeking the players’ immediate reinstatement.

In the event the players are not reinstated, the PFA will initiate legal proceedings against Tony Sage seeking their reinstatement and the imposition of significant fines in excess of $600,000, pursuant to the Fair Work Act.

“The players acknowledge that everybody in Australia is facing a collective challenge as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic,” PFA Chief Executive John Didulica said.

“In times like this, our community needs leadership and, from the perspective of football, a commitment to collaboratively rebuilding our sport.

“The PFA continues to call for a collective solution to address our game’s challenges, as has been the approach adopted by the AFL and sporting bodies around the world. However, Tony has shown his preference for unilateral, reckless and unlawful action.

“A fortnight ago, it was fine to relocate players to the east coast away from their families and expose them to a global pandemic. Now, when the opportunity arises, it is considered acceptable to stop paying them. These are not the traits of a sport that values its people.

“We are positioned to take the same course of action if any other A-League club owner elects to take this course of action in contravention of both the law and the sports broader needs at this
time.”

Re: Glory.

What makes the players any more special than people in other industries being stood down without pay? I swear, athletes seem to have some holier than thou attitude that the public seems to go along with. Where is everyone standing up for those in the hospitality industry being stood down without pay? What about the airline industry? Being public figures doesn't make them entitled to be treated any more special than the rest of us. If they can't survive a couple of months without their ridiculous salaries they make for kicking a ball around, then go out and get a job on a checkout at Coles or stand in line at Centrelink like everyone else.

The club staff I feel sorry for.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure why people are surprised by Tony Sage at all, what kind of person pours that much money down the drain essentially? there's either an ulterior motive or you're scarily dumb. the guy's extremely queer and I've always wondered what the go with it all is, it's not like he's a football person either. the other fellas who took over from the FFA 15-odd years ago got out pretty quickly too. weird s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Sage, all clubs are going to be doing it. Glory just told their players first.

90797714_274715883522777_7531059548187000832_n.jpg

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
According to Sage, all clubs are going to be doing it. Glory just told their players first.

View attachment 848283
He is probably right about that, most clubs (in other sports) have either gone on leave, cut their pay, or been stood down completely (some on their own accord). It isnt something that is wished upon anyone but at this stage you have thousands of jobs (retail especially) being stood down or considerably reducing hours. I wont be surprised if more clubs do as such, especially those less wealthy sides (it really depends on how much the club rely on funds from the attendance, and sponsorship that is dependent on certain factors (such as games played, attendance at games etc.)

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
the only way you could tell someone you're not paying them out is to break their contract, if they have one.

so I'm assuming every single A-League player will be freely available on the market within the next few days?

even if that's not the case, any half-decent player who isn't paid for another six months and somehow has a dream move to Europe blocked is going to get a lawyer in and you'd imagine the player would have a great case. you can't not pay someone, say 'piss on this' to a contract, then expect the contract to exist when you want them working for you again.

So, I don't quite get these "stand down" notices. Is it a soft way of saying 'you're cut until I can afford you'? Or just simply 'you're cut', no further updates?

That's confused me as well. Many years ago I used to work in industrial relations. The Fair Work Act has been amended many times since then, but as far as I know there's no provisions in it for "stand downs."

The only reason it's become a thing over the last couple of weeks is because casual staff aren't guaranteed any hours, nor do they get leave or anything to be paid out.

So I don't know how "stand downs" work with contracted staff (ie. players), but they never used to exist except for informally with casual staff.

Re: Glory.

What makes the players any more special than people in other industries being stood down without pay? I swear, athletes seem to have some holier than thou attitude that the public seems to go along with. Where is everyone standing up for those in the hospitality industry being stood down without pay? What about the airline industry? Being public figures doesn't make them entitled to be treated any more special than the rest of us. If they can't survive a couple of months without their ridiculous salaries they make for kicking a ball around, then go out and get a job on a checkout at Coles or stand in line at Centrelink like everyone else.

The club staff I feel sorry for.

I find it particularly unedifying seeing/hearing people say "well other people are screwed, why shouldn't these people be screwed?"

The labor market doesn't benefit by everyone being ****ed equally. We need to be hoping for the preservation of as many jobs as possible, as it speeds up the recovery afterwards.

Just as the whole mortgage/rent relief issue shouldn't be owner vs renter, but all of us working together for the best solution possible, nor should it be worker vs worker. The people who are able to retain jobs, keep paying tax, and be in a position to quickly rebuild the economy (which athletes clearly are given the role that sport will play in the recovery) will be critical to all of us in the long run.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
That's confused me as well. Many years ago I used to work in industrial relations. The Fair Work Act has been amended many times since then, but as far as I know there's no provisions in it for "stand downs."

The only reason it's become a thing over the last couple of weeks is because casual staff aren't guaranteed any hours, nor do they get leave or anything to be paid out.

So I don't know how "stand downs" work with contracted staff (ie. players), but they never used to exist except for informally with casual staff.

“The stand down of employees without pay is provided for in section 524 of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (FW Act). Section 524(1)(c) permits employers to stand down employees who cannot be usefully employed in circumstances where there is “a stoppage of work for any cause for which the employer cannot reasonably be held responsible“.

An employee must only be stood down if they “cannot be usefully employed” because of the stoppage.1 This means that employees should be given the opportunity to perform any work that is available and which they are capable of performing, even if it falls outside their usual duties, before a decision is made to stand them down.”

https://hwlebsworth.com.au/stand-do...ted-by-covid-19-have-to-stand-down-employees/

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
whack! whack! The beginning of the end?

Mariners and Roar join Glory in standing down players and staff without pay
Updated 46 mins ago
It’s believed, in unison with Glory, payments to all Mariners and Brisbane employees will be frozen Indefinitely.

The competition isn’t expected to resume for several months - with April 22’s initial reappraisal date looking certain to be extended.

In what has quickly become a domino effect, Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets are anticipated to soon follow suit, as clubs scramble to take some of the sting out the financial hammer blow which has resulted from the competition’s shutdown with six rounds of the regular season remaining.

The PFA has already flagged legal action against Glory owner Tony Sage for what he claims is an attempt to ensure the club’s long-term survival.

And the Mariners and Brisbane can expect a similar response as the fallout from football’s global hiatus sends financial shock waves through the game.

FFA chief executive James Johnson is also closely monitoring developments and has already indicated he will not hesitate to step in and force some form of settlement between the A-League clubs and the PFA should he deem it necessary.

That point appears to be arriving at warp speed as club chiefs seek to cut mounting costs.

Broadcaster Fox Sports are almost certain to withhold payment to the clubs worth around $900,000 each, which is due at the beginning of April.

With no product, the rights holder can declare the clubs in breach of contract.

Almost half of A-League players are off contract in May, and the stand-downs heap even more uncertainty on their futures.

Only Melbourne City - backed by the City Football Group - and Sydney FC have, thus far, guaranteed to cover their players’ wage bills next month.

Both Brisbane and the Mariners were approached for comment, as was FFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back