The A-League, Football in Australia and the CoronaVirus Crisis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh. This could very well spell the end of the A League (or at least see half the teams go under)

Did anyone else honestly expect a company owned by Emperor Palpatine aka RuTwat Murdork to pony up for unaired content ?. Feel gutted for fans of Welly, CCM,Newcastle etc

The only teams who are guaranteed to survive this are Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory, and probably Adelaide United and Perth Glory.

Could be dark days ahead friends
I must say that this is only the thought someone with no specific knowledge of the situation. There is no knowledge of what is actually going to happen, even likely from fox. There is a thought among a lot of people in and out of the sport that the partnership with fox is going to end, but, whether it is to end at the end of this season or when the contract is set to end, it probably won't be a bad thing or the end of teams and/or the league. The Nbl and stand alone vfl club's are a great example of living within its means.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ugh. This could very well spell the end of the A League (or at least see half the teams go under)

Did anyone else honestly expect a company owned by Emperor Palpatine aka RuTwat Murdork to pony up for unaired content ?. Feel gutted for fans of Welly, CCM,Newcastle etc

The only teams who are guaranteed to survive this are Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory, and probably Adelaide United and Perth Glory.

Could be dark days ahead friends 😥😥😥

Foxtel are gonna bring out the Knifes, guns, mortars you name it to kill and rid themselves of the A-league! The FFA, A-league, PFA will be pushing s**t up hill!

There will be a pro league, How it looks remains to be seen.

Honestly they should remove the salary floor to preserve some of the smaller clubs.
If the Mariners can only survive by having a squad of 18-23 years old it may end up being beneficial for the game long term with potential Socceroos being given the opportunity.

Honestly they should remove the salary floor to preserve some of the smaller clubs.
If the Mariners can only survive by having a squad of 18-23 years old it may end up being beneficial for the game long term with potential Socceroos being given the opportunity.

Should be no cap or floor and bring in transfer fees etc to allow the clubs to survive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Bizarrely, I think A-League future is good’, says Mariners owner Charlesworth | The World Game
Dave Lewis

Central Coast Mariners - the club Charlesworth rescued from extinction a decade ago - are tipped to suffer the greatest hardship during the A-League lockdown, yet the Englishman sees a ray of hope amid the bloodletting.
Undaunted by the doomsday prospect of rights holder Fox Sports tearing up their broadcast agreement, and an indefinite adjournment in play, Charlesworth told The World Game: “It depends on where we end up and no-one knows that right now.
“What’s our income? What are our costs? If you look at it economically, if you have no membership revenue, no broadcast revenue and no sponsors then you can’t launch a league.
“But, bizarrely, I do think the future is really quite good because there’s an opportunity, finally, to get all the stakeholders together to reboot, reset and recalibrate the whole football economy.
“There’d be renewed enthusiasm when it restarts and a huge demand for content.
“I genuinely believe if we can come through the next few months we will be in a much healthier position long-term.
“We need a bit of positivity right now, don’t we.
“The game has been fractured every since I’ve been involved, and I feel we’ll be able to get through this adversity and come out the other side a lot stronger.
“Whatever we had before was broken - if we get all the stakeholders united then we can succeed.
Charlesworth believes football’s basics are still favourable, with the nation’s largest participation base - and still growing.
“But you have to create an environment that attracts investment, and I can only speak for the Mariners - a club that loses such a high percentage of its revenue and is unprofitable - for us it’s very difficult,” he added.
“If we were sustainable - or within reach of that - I’d have attracted investors and the team would have been competitive.
“We’d have been able to grow, rather than go the other way. But I don’t have the financial means to lose an extra $1-2 million a year to create a more competitive team.”
There are concerns Fox Sports might place an immediate freeze on payments made to clubs as part of the broadcast deal - worth $57.6 million annually - throwing the competition even deeper into the mire.
Charlesworth admits he doesn’t know yet how the Mariners will tackle the turmoil, with several clubs rumoured to be informing staff of imminent cutbacks and stand-downs - and talk of players being asked to accept salary cuts.
“This situation is something the clubs are looking at collectively, and decisions will have to be made.”
Charlesworth claims the Mariners might, in some aspects, be better equipped than others to ride out the coronavirus storm.
“The difference with us is that we’ve been in survival mode for 10 years and are used to it,” he added.
“It was a similar situation when I ‘bailed out’ the club.”
Charlesworth is used to be vilified for under-funding the club, and says he accepts the flak.
However, he claimed some critics “don’t understand the facts”.
“There has been interest from parties in buying the license and moving it to another city - but nobody has wanted to keep the club on the Central Coast," he said.
“The reality is I’ve spent a greater percentage of my personal income than most people do in the A-League.
“I have single-handedly kept the club alive for 10 years.
“We have won a title and a lot of wooden spoons. We’ve done a lot but we have survived.
“Success right now for probably all the clubs is going to be survival.
“I’m probably stressing a little bit less than some of the others because I am used to it.”

Some interesting comments.. should we be taking advice from Charlesworth through?

I don’t mind his comments.
He’s right to an extent.
Yes the economic fallout will be extremely painful but at the same time this is the PERFECT opportunity to have a mini relaunch and get the structures and model right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably more than Fox the way things are going.

We need to workout how to make money from other streaming services to broadcast. FTA tv and fox can’t be the be all and end all.

The NBL have the right idea they have their own digital media broadcast arm yeah? Not sure how that works if anyone would care to share.. Maybe that is they way to go, sure the League would have to stripe it back probably to the bare bones but in the long run it will pay itself off!

A
Probably more than Fox the way things are going.

We need to workout how to make money from other streaming services to broadcast. FTA tv and fox can’t be the be all and end all.

Amazon Prime would be a much preferred option to Optus, especially as they can do live streaming worldwide.

The NBL have the right idea they have their own digital media broadcast arm yeah? Not sure how that works if anyone would care to share.. Maybe that is they way to go, sure the League would have to stripe it back probably to the bare bones but in the long run it will pay itself off!

All their people are at the office in Melbourne and broadcast from there.
Only a local reporter for sideline and the cameramen are at the game so saves on airfares etc

All their people are at the office in Melbourne and broadcast from there.
Only a local reporter for sideline and the cameramen are at the game so saves on airfares etc

They started that this year, with the new ESPN tie up. The nbl pays for the production of the game (including the commentators I think), and there is some kind of revenue sharing arrangement from the advert (all the ads seem to be for the NBL or a related product). They also likely get some money from Facebook and twitch for the international games that they play. So probably not a lot of money is being made overall from the broadcast.

Wrong. Such clauses, dealing with risk and performance, would be very relevant.

See also the contractual doctrine of frustration of contract.

There's no need to be compliant from either side.

FFA Media Release: FFA stands-down staff in response to COVID-19 impact
Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced that it has made the regrettable decision to stand-down approximately 70 per cent of its staff due to the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“This has been an extremely difficult decision to make, but necessary to stabilize the organisation so that it can continue to service the game, albeit in a vastly different landscape” FFA Chief Executive James Johnson said.

“Industries all over the world have been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and football in Australia is no different.

“We are in a situation where grassroots football and the Hyundai A-League are currently suspended, we’ve had the postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and the deferral of the international football calendar, so virtually all football activity has now ceased for the foreseeable future because of COVID-19.

“These developments impact many forms of revenue for FFA, including national registration fees, broadcast fees, sponsorship, ticket sales and government funding, so we have needed to adjust our operations to ensure that we can remain operational, forcing us to take the unfortunate decision to stand down approximately 70% of our workforce.

“We have an incredible team here at FFA, and I am immensely proud of the work everyone does for football in this country. We have explored ways to retain as many staff as possible, including reducing essential roles to part-time, and asking staff to take annual leave and long service leave. Unfortunately, a number of staff members will have a period of leave without pay.”

“We will continue to operate with a small team, with a focus on continual engagement with fans through digital platforms, supporting our member federations, clubs and the almost two million football participants in this country.

“I also believe that football has a very important role to play as a good and responsible citizen during these difficult times so we are looking at how we can contribute to our collective efforts to slow down the spread of COVID-19.

“We view this as a temporary stoppage of football. We will be continually reviewing the situation and the impact of COVID-19 on grassroots football and the remainder of the Hyundai A-League season. We need a strong national governing body in place and a team ready and able to get back to work as soon as possible, as football will play an essential role in the recovery of our nation post COVID-19.”

sucks!

A-League, coronavirus, news: Perth Glory, PFA, statement, legal action
PERTH GLORY

• March 28, 2020 1:02pm
  • by ZAC RAYSON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Perth Glory’s playing squad has reportedly been stood down.Source: Getty Images
The financial impact of the coronavirus has ignited a war between Australia’s professional footballers’ union and Perth Glory owner Tony Sage, after the A-League club reportedly stood down the entire playing squad without pay.
According to a statement released by Professional Footballers Australia (the PFA), the union has been provided with the stand-down notices and is threatening legal action if the players aren’t immediately reinstated.
The statement claims that potential legal action will seek “their reinstatement and the imposition of significant fines in excess of $600,000, pursuant to the Fair Work Act.”
“A fortnight ago, it was fine to relocate players to the east coast away from their families and expose them to a global pandemic. Now, when the opportunity arises, it is considered acceptable to stop paying them,” PFA chief John Didulica said.
THE STATEMENT:
“Professional Footballers Australia (the PFA) has been provided with stand-down notices issued to its members at Perth Glory by owner Tony Sage.
“In response, the PFA has served Sage with a letter of demand seeking the players’ immediate reinstatement.
“In the event the players are not reinstated, the PFA will initiate legal proceedings against Tony Sage seeking their reinstatement and the imposition of significant fines in excess of $600,000, pursuant to the Fair Work Act.
“The players acknowledge that everybody in Australia is facing a collective challenge as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic,” PFA Chief Executive John Didulica said.

“In times like this, our community needs leadership and, from the perspective of football, a commitment to collaboratively rebuilding our sport.
“The PFA continues to call for a collective solution to address our game’s challenges, as has been the approach adopted by the AFL and sporting bodies around the world. However, Tony has shown his preference for unilateral, reckless and unlawful action.
“A fortnight ago, it was fine to relocate players to the east coast away from their families and expose them to a global pandemic. Now, when the opportunity arises, it is considered acceptable to stop paying them. These are not the traits of a sport that values its people.
“We are positioned to take the same course of action if any other A-League club owner elects to take this course of action in contravention of both the law and the sports broader needs at this time.”
MORE TO COME

Remove this Banner Ad

Back