The A-League, Football in Australia and the CoronaVirus Crisis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus Sport is worse than being on Foxtel.

SBS was ran off years ago for some reason.
I would think that if a deal can't be reached over the long term I suspect that a short term deal can be done whether it is on Foxtel, and or another channel/streaming service. I know not the same situation but both the nrl and afl didn't have a formal deal in place till less than a week before the restart. The optus option would likely be only for the rest of the year in this hypothetical circumstance, with word being they dont think it is a good option for both parties at this stage. Sbs (and the abc) would be in a similar situation as they would be unable to pay/organsie the production of the content.

In other news the Nix have been given permission to fly once more.

A-League set for winter switch after securing new Fox Sports deal
By Vince Rugari and Zoe Samios
June 19, 2020 — 4.37pm
The A-League is on track for a change from summer to winter after clinching a new broadcast deal with Fox Sports to ensure coverage for not only the rest of the current season, but the 2020-21 campaign as well.

As reported by the Herald and The Age on Thursday, Foxtel - the parent company of Fox Sports - has abandoned its previous six-year deal with Football Federation Australia, worth nearly $60 million a year.

But the pay-TV network has not abandoned football entirely, after agreeing on Friday to a fresh one-year contract that both parties see as a win under the circumstances. An official announcement is imminent, sources say.

The arrangement is believed to be worth about $32 million to FFA, which is a reduction on the old contract but in line with other renegotiated broadcast deals accepted by other sports in recent weeks.

Crucially, according to sources, it stipulates the 2020-21 season will begin in December and finish in July, putting the A-League on course for a gradual switch from a summer to a winter sport.

The following season is likely to be played in the 2022 calendar year, fitting neatly with the World Cup in Qatar, which is slated to begin in November.

FFA chief executive James Johnson told SEN Radio this month that a move to winter was "on the table" for football.

The idea is supported by some A-League powerbrokers and would enable closer alignment with grassroots football, which is played in winter, and remove a key obstacle in the way of a promotion and relegation system in the Australian game, which supporters and former players are vocally demanding.

The new deal provides FFA with a degree of short-term certainty and stability, while also giving the sport around 18 months to reset, assess its options and finalise work on a digital streaming strategy that may or may not involve selling games back to Fox.

It also encompasses the W-League, the Socceroos' final four matches of World Cup qualifying and any Matildas friendlies that will take place during the contract period.

However, it does not include the FFA Cup, which may become a 'guinea pig' of sorts next year for FFA's planned over-the-top streaming platform. FFA and clubs have been exploring the possibility of taking on the responsibility of producing live games for several months.

Fox was determined to reduce its spend on the A-League and has been disappointed with football's ratings performance and broader interest levels since signing a six-year deal with FFA in 2015.

But despite the company's recent rhetoric and the concerns of many key stakeholders within football, sources say Fox was ultimately reluctant to sever ties with the sport completely, fearing it could trigger another exodus of subscribers and that any backlash cause a degree of reputational damage to the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
A-League set for winter switch after securing new Fox Sports deal
By Vince Rugari and Zoe Samios
June 19, 2020 — 4.37pm
The A-League is on track for a change from summer to winter after clinching a new broadcast deal with Fox Sports to ensure coverage for not only the rest of the current season, but the 2020-21 campaign as well.

As reported by the Herald and The Age on Thursday, Foxtel - the parent company of Fox Sports - has abandoned its previous six-year deal with Football Federation Australia, worth nearly $60 million a year.

But the pay-TV network has not abandoned football entirely, after agreeing on Friday to a fresh one-year contract that both parties see as a win under the circumstances. An official announcement is imminent, sources say.

The arrangement is believed to be worth about $32 million to FFA, which is a reduction on the old contract but in line with other renegotiated broadcast deals accepted by other sports in recent weeks.

Crucially, according to sources, it stipulates the 2020-21 season will begin in December and finish in July, putting the A-League on course for a gradual switch from a summer to a winter sport.

The following season is likely to be played in the 2022 calendar year, fitting neatly with the World Cup in Qatar, which is slated to begin in November.

FFA chief executive James Johnson told SEN Radio this month that a move to winter was "on the table" for football.

The idea is supported by some A-League powerbrokers and would enable closer alignment with grassroots football, which is played in winter, and remove a key obstacle in the way of a promotion and relegation system in the Australian game, which supporters and former players are vocally demanding.

The new deal provides FFA with a degree of short-term certainty and stability, while also giving the sport around 18 months to reset, assess its options and finalise work on a digital streaming strategy that may or may not involve selling games back to Fox.

It also encompasses the W-League, the Socceroos' final four matches of World Cup qualifying and any Matildas friendlies that will take place during the contract period.

However, it does not include the FFA Cup, which may become a 'guinea pig' of sorts next year for FFA's planned over-the-top streaming platform. FFA and clubs have been exploring the possibility of taking on the responsibility of producing live games for several months.

Fox was determined to reduce its spend on the A-League and has been disappointed with football's ratings performance and broader interest levels since signing a six-year deal with FFA in 2015.

But despite the company's recent rhetoric and the concerns of many key stakeholders within football, sources say Fox was ultimately reluctant to sever ties with the sport completely, fearing it could trigger another exodus of subscribers and that any backlash cause a degree of reputational damage to the company.
Hard to secer ties when the main reason people have your whole content is for your mix of sport. Sounds like a good deal on both parts and the December to July time frame is probably the best option in general for the comp in Aus.Also gives time for independence and a greater time to create a broadcast plan.it also sounds like they dont have to pay for production

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'll probably be done if they switch to winter. You just know the fixturing is going to clash with the AFL and if you made me choose, I'd be going to the Freo games every time.

Yeah, I'll probably be done if they switch to winter. You just know the fixturing is going to clash with the AFL and if you made me choose, I'd be going to the Freo games every time.
Just saw the world game post the following. In summary no deal yet for next season but in a good place for it to occur.

Why would it clash? They will work around it.

Never got that can’t support 2 sports in the same season.

They have never had any inclination of avoiding a clash in the past. When the AFL and A-League overlap, often Glory home games would clash with the Dockers or Eagles home games. In summer, Glory home games always clash with the Wildcats and/or Scorchers. Until such time as they actively show that they care about avoiding a clash, I will believe they just don't give a flying crap.

Why would it clash? They will work around it.

Never got that can’t support 2 sports in the same season.

Of course it can and probably will. For me personally, if I was the Ffa, I wouldn’t want the league to go on after July or early August just because the football codes start to consume more than usual. But there just in general needs to be a good understanding on times and days from both tv and crowds. I would like more games within the channel 10 bbl format by being very open to crowds on days which are not necessarily Friday Saturday and Sunday (obviously in this circumstance there is a need for 5 day breaks because it is meant to be a legitimate league)

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They pretty much clash now for virtually half the AFL season!

I don't know about this move to winter. Sure in theory it aligns with the whole football family in aus as well as the ACL, but I'm afraid its just gonna get lost even further in the mainstream forget about any msm coverage! rating pwhh.. non existent. (suppose no different to now)
The worst part for me. I will miss summer football what will I get up to in summer now BBL? No thanks!

Last edited:
Of course it can and probably will. For me personally, if I was the Ffa, I wouldn’t want the league to go on after July or early August just because the football codes start to consume more than usual. But there just in general needs to be a good understanding on times and days from both tv and crowds. I would like more games within the channel 10 bbl format by being very open to crowds on days which are not necessarily Friday Saturday and Sunday (obviously in this circumstance there is a need for 5 day breaks because it is meant to be a legitimate league)

I think it could be a Feb/March start with a break say around Aug/Sep when the other codes are in full gear toward finals with an Oct/Nov finish! FFA Cup could run from May/Jun start with an earlier finish say during that Aug/sept break. just my take.

If were gonna do it do it right!

I think it could be a Feb/March start with a break say around Aug/Sep when the other codes are in full gear toward finals with an Oct/Nov finish! FFA Cup could run from May/Jun start with an earlier finish say during that Aug/sept break. just my take.

If were gonna do it do it right!

From what I’ve read the push is for A-League and FFA cup finals in November. Plus ACL finals are held then.

that sounds like a bit of a crowded schedule and dilutes a lot from the FFA Cup!

If the Ffa cup is to held within the aleague season proper (rather than a glorified pre season contest) you will have a lot more cup sets and if done right will become much more interesting (also need these games on fta).

Not sure on when the season should be but it would need to sit well with the European seasons as well as the Asian leagues (the former especially if you are looking at clubs bringing in talent from Europe, as well as Aussie talent (hopefully) getting opportunities in Europe). It’s not an easy conundrum to fix but hopefully a good middle ground can be found. I do recall Babel (I think) saying that the pre season of the comp is a bit too long, so that could come under consideration.

According to ftbl the ffa cup isn't apart of the new deal and will likely be inhouse.

Interesting time to announce it but anyway.. official

Football to continue on Fox Sports through to July 2021
FFA Media

Football Federation Australia (FFA) and Fox Sports Australia (Fox Sports) tonight confirmed they had reached agreement on a new broadcast deal that will see football broadcast on Fox Sports through to the end of July 2021.
The agreement ensures that the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season will resume on 16 July and be completed as planned. Australia’s final four FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Round 2 Asian Qualifiers will be shown on Fox Sports, while Socceroos and Westfield Matildas friendly international matches will be aired on the network through to 31 July 2021.
The A-League 2020/21 and Westfield W-League 2020/21 seasons will also be shown on Fox Sports.
FFA Chief Executive Officer James Johnson acknowledged Foxtel and Fox Sports for their collaboration during the negotiation, noting that the deal will help to provide the certainty football requires.
“I would like to thank Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Head of Fox Sports Peter Campbell for their continued support for Australian football,” Johnson said.
“The pandemic has created uncertainty and accelerated disruption to the sports media sector and to football here in Australia and abroad – this new agreement adjusts to this new reality, secures the immediate future of football in Australia and provides flexibility for FFA to lay a foundation to transition into a new world for Australian professional football.
“The deal will see the professional game – for women and men – reactivated, and ensures that football at the heart of all our thinking in the future.
“It will also provide immediate certainty for clubs, players, coaches, officials and, most importantly, fans, for the remainder of the current Hyundai A-League season, as well as the next.
“We are equally as pleased to have secured the next season for the Westfield W-League to ensure we can continue to drive interest and growth in women’s football in Australia,” he said.
Australian Professional Football Clubs Association (APFCA) Chairman Paul Lederer also thanked Foxtel, Fox Sports and FFA for successfully concluding their discussions.
“Fox Sports has been an outstanding partner of the Hyundai A-League and the Westfield W-League and we are pleased that this partnership will continue until the 2020/21 season,” Lederer said.
“This deal ensures that our fans and members will be able to enjoy the exciting conclusion to the current Hyundai ALeague season, and look forward to the next A-League and Westfield W-League seasons.”
FFA CEO James Johnson added that a key feature of the new broadcast deal includes a shift in the timing of the next A-League season, with the 2020/21 season now commencing in December 2020 and concluding in July 2021.
“The shift in the timing of the next A-League season is a strategic decision to enhance the alignment of our top tier professional men’s league with the grassroots playing season of the largest community sport in the country,” Johnson explained.

Interesting time to announce it but anyway.. official

Football to continue on Fox Sports through to July 2021
FFA Media

Football Federation Australia (FFA) and Fox Sports Australia (Fox Sports) tonight confirmed they had reached agreement on a new broadcast deal that will see football broadcast on Fox Sports through to the end of July 2021.
The agreement ensures that the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season will resume on 16 July and be completed as planned. Australia’s final four FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Round 2 Asian Qualifiers will be shown on Fox Sports, while Socceroos and Westfield Matildas friendly international matches will be aired on the network through to 31 July 2021.
The A-League 2020/21 and Westfield W-League 2020/21 seasons will also be shown on Fox Sports.
FFA Chief Executive Officer James Johnson acknowledged Foxtel and Fox Sports for their collaboration during the negotiation, noting that the deal will help to provide the certainty football requires.
“I would like to thank Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Head of Fox Sports Peter Campbell for their continued support for Australian football,” Johnson said.
“The pandemic has created uncertainty and accelerated disruption to the sports media sector and to football here in Australia and abroad – this new agreement adjusts to this new reality, secures the immediate future of football in Australia and provides flexibility for FFA to lay a foundation to transition into a new world for Australian professional football.
“The deal will see the professional game – for women and men – reactivated, and ensures that football at the heart of all our thinking in the future.
“It will also provide immediate certainty for clubs, players, coaches, officials and, most importantly, fans, for the remainder of the current Hyundai A-League season, as well as the next.
“We are equally as pleased to have secured the next season for the Westfield W-League to ensure we can continue to drive interest and growth in women’s football in Australia,” he said.
Australian Professional Football Clubs Association (APFCA) Chairman Paul Lederer also thanked Foxtel, Fox Sports and FFA for successfully concluding their discussions.
“Fox Sports has been an outstanding partner of the Hyundai A-League and the Westfield W-League and we are pleased that this partnership will continue until the 2020/21 season,” Lederer said.
“This deal ensures that our fans and members will be able to enjoy the exciting conclusion to the current Hyundai ALeague season, and look forward to the next A-League and Westfield W-League seasons.”
FFA CEO James Johnson added that a key feature of the new broadcast deal includes a shift in the timing of the next A-League season, with the 2020/21 season now commencing in December 2020 and concluding in July 2021.
“The shift in the timing of the next A-League season is a strategic decision to enhance the alignment of our top tier professional men’s league with the grassroots playing season of the largest community sport in the country,” Johnson explained.

Well good I guess. Catastrophe avoided and no doubt Johnson will be doing all he can to promote the game before the new deal. It would be nice if they could implement the common sense football rules (domestic transfer for one) before next season starts.

Madness.

You've all seen me say that I'm much more open to a winter league than most of you here, assuming the justification stacks up. But there doesn't even appear to be a rationale here, just a whim from the broadcaster that makes no sense. I guess the idea is that the ratings can't get worse, so maybe you're hoping people leave the tv on from Friday night til Sunday night regardless of the code. I don't see how it grows the code though, and I don't see how it helps us attract better talent.

I'm bummed if it's true that the deal doesn't include the FFA. The way those first few rounds were broadcast with the around the grounds feel was really cool, and it was really different in Australian support. I suspect the coverage of the non-broadcast games doesn't change, but I liked it's point of difference on Fox Sports.

Madness.

You've all seen me say that I'm much more open to a winter league than most of you here, assuming the justification stacks up. But there doesn't even appear to be a rationale here, just a whim from the broadcaster that makes no sense. I guess the idea is that the ratings can't get worse, so maybe you're hoping people leave the tv on from Friday night til Sunday night regardless of the code. I don't see how it grows the code though, and I don't see how it helps us attract better talent.

We have good talent. Playing in the heat hurts the game.

I’m willing to give it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back