Analysis The Ablett Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Again Dusty, KB, Hart, Dyer, Richo, Cotchin, Riewoldt

These are the real legends. Richmond are one of the best at keeping them 1 club players.

Just name the top 10 players of any period almost all of them aren’t one club players.

Bahahahahaha so it’s just the ones you decide 😂😂😂

‘heaps of these guys I only hear of from guys I suck up to and never got to watch kick a ball around played for one club so that club of guys who kicked a ball around must be better than another club of guys who kicked a ball around that you like and I get my self worth from this.’

This is literally how f**king sad you sound 😂😂😂

Bahahahahaha so it’s just the ones you decide

‘heaps of these guys I only hear of from guys I suck up to and never got to watch kick a ball around played for one club so that club of guys who kicked a ball around must be better than another club of guys who kicked a ball around that you like and I get my self worth from this.’

This is literally how f**king sad you sound

No they are all/will be Richmond immortals. Half of them are legend status in the AFL. That’s why they are chosen

List the Geelong ones.

No they are all/will be Richmond immortals. Half of them are legend status in the AFL. That’s why they are chosen

List the Geelong ones.

Hawkins, Bartel, Enright, Scarlett. There’s four from the last 12 years.

What will you do if I don’t name more, self-worth-tied-to-your-footy-club-me to death 😂😂😂😂

lick some more Richmond old boy boots and pretend that some stuff happening before you were born actually means something 😂

Nah you sound like you’ve got a good grasp of reality

List the Geelong ones.
What the * does this have to do with the OP? Once again a thread is derailed by a deranged Tiger who thinks his team is the only one to keep players. What is the actual point you are trying to make?

What the * does this have to do with the OP? Once again a thread is derailed by a deranged Tiger who thinks his team is the only one to keep players. What is the actual point you are trying to make?

He thinks that having some one club players at the club’s peak of relevance somehow is a sign of greatness and he ties in his own self esteem to that somehow.

Rather than simply being proud, which is fine and fair enough, he seems to think that it’s got something to either do with him, or that it’s a sign of greatness rather than just a case that for various reasons in various sports, guys of various levels end up at various clubs and 3-4 of them for their careers staying there across the course of a century is somehow an act of unparalleled human magnificence

PB had a hissy fit read the thread. Couldn’t stand me stating the obvious. The Ablett effect was awful for the GC. It’s just a fact he set the club back years for his own gain, as previous posters have said. That’s the type of person he is, a selfish mercenary.

For some reason PB brought up Ottens. Simply bewildering.

PB had a hissy fit read the thread. Couldn’t stand me stating the obvious. The Ablett effect was awful for the GC. It’s just a fact he set the club back years for his own gain, as previous posters have said. That’s the type of person he is, a selfish mercenary.

Nah, I just stated the obvious myself.

That having a shot about someone taking a promotion when you yourself would do exactly the same thing is the act of a simpleton. But we all knew that anyway.

And you keep on bringing up one club legends from eras that took place before your dad even got his end away.
God only knows why.

Stop derailing threads you flog.
You’re the worst poster I’ve seen on here in 15 years.
You just continue to * up every thread you post in with your “Richmond are the best eva” crap.
Do us all a favour and piss off.

They left for opportunity rather than money. But yes they weren’t loyal. I don’t blame them.
You like to run down Ablett for wanting to get back to Victoria for family reasons thats exactly the same reason Caddy used to get out of the Suns. His father was ill. He also had opportunity at the Cats who were still in the Premiership window. Yet jumped ship. Fair enough on the first bit. Nothing but Mercenary on the last.

Lynch was cocaptain of the Suns and walked away just like Colbert did years earlier at the Cats. Showing no loyalty to the club in it's time of need. Yet again nothing other than a mercenary.

You like to run down Ablett for wanting to get back to Victoria for family reasons thats exactly the same reason Caddy used to get out of the Suns. His father was ill. He also had opportunity at the Cats who were still in the Premiership window. Yet jumped ship. Fair enough on the first bit. Nothing but Mercenary on the last.

Lynch was cocaptain of the Suns and walked away just like Colbert did years earlier at the Cats. Showing no loyalty to the club in it's time of need. Yet again nothing other than a mercenary.

It’s ok when it’s for the Tigers. Though oddly these are guys he’s seen play. You’d think there’d be an even greater emphasis on loyalty in an era that he can actually witness

Yup

But you aren’t really a mercenary though if it’s not for money.

Lynch was “selfish” for other reasons. The club sucked.

GAJ was lured by the AFL to GC. He'd basically achieved as much as he could at Geelong and was not getting on with Bomber Thompson. He wasn't to know Bomber was set to leave also. Had GAJ stayed at Geelong there is no doubt others would have been forced out because of salary cap pressures.

To call GAJ a "selfish mercenary" really highlights how ill informed you are. He wasn't the first elite player to switch clubs and he won't be the last.

Are Hopper, Nankervis, Tarranto and Tom Lynch selfish mercenaries too?

Not mid game mate, seriously. Plenty of time to do it after. The cult of Gary are bigger than Geelong. It’s really sad.

I don’t believe Clarko did it for Buddy, in fact I remember him scoffing that Buddy cost himself 2 flags cause he left lol.
Bull I remember watching this don't think there would have been many Cat fans who didn't shake their heads and applaud that. If you can't see how good that was and give credit where its due as an opposition fan, You have some serious problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAJ was lured by the AFL to GC. He'd basically achieved as much as he could at Geelong and was not getting on with Bomber Thompson. He wasn't to know Bomber was set to leave also. Had GAJ stayed at Geelong there is no doubt others would have been forced out because of salary cap pressures.

To call GAJ a "selfish mercenary" really highlights how ill informed you are. He wasn't the first elite player to switch clubs and he won't be the last.

Are Hopper, Nankervis, Tarranto and Tom Lynch selfish mercenaries too?
Employee has an incredible run of achievements and "best in class" performance - taking his company to one of its best ever periods. Pay cheque vastly inferior to performance. He then leaves them in a healthy state following a toxic relationship with ill-equipped boss to lead a new venture for much (much!) more money.

He gives it his heart and soul for half a decade but it doesn't work out, by and large from the new company being a dud. Troubling family issues eventually make him reach breaking point and needing to return home, reuniting with his old life and company for a second shot at things before it's too late.

Only in the toxic, nuffy land of BigFooty could this be spun into "That awful man was a traitor! Mercenary! Not a loyal top performer who turns down once in a lifetime opportunities like me!". Admittedly it's mostly used to grab bites but every now and again you come across people who might genuinely think like this.

Yup

But you aren’t really a mercenary though if it’s not for money.

Lynch was “selfish” for other reasons. The club sucked.

But hang on, isn’t Richo a club legend because he stuck with it all the way through?

Lynch left when he was 25 😂😂

Oh wow, what heart.

Todd Goldstein hasn’t played a final in 7 seasons while his club has fallen in a heap around him and could have demanded a trade any time - his club ‘sucked.’ He was 27 and anyone could have seen that coming. Tom Lynch gets to 25 and he’s had enough of waiting 😂

But hang on, isn’t Richo a club legend because he stuck with it all the way through?

Lynch left when he was 25

Oh wow, what heart.

Todd Goldstein hasn’t played a final in 7 seasons while his club has fallen in a heap around him and could have demanded a trade any time - his club ‘sucked.’ He was 27 and anyone could have seen that coming. Tom Lynch gets to 25 and he’s had enough of waiting

Yes I agree, why do you keep going on about it. It’s weird. Lynch was a lovely mercenary for us. Suns on the other hand got the s**t end of the stick.

Last edited:
Yes they did. They drafted Tom Lynch.

I and others go on about it because it’s a blatant example of whichever is more dominant in your posting: stupidity or hypocrisy

I don’t honestly don’t know what you want from me I agree Lynch was selfish. Wtf

People just need to accept the club loyalty era is pretty dead, were seeing it tail off as we speak, the days of champion players spending their careers on garbage teams are over, unless they are getting the absolute bag to stay (the irony being surely staying because your getting an above market rate to stay is more mercenary than going to try to win flags?)

Players are there to do two things, win games and make money, doing the first makes the second easier, and being on a good team makes both easier and they only have 10 to 15 years to make the bag, remember, players are temporary its the club thats eternal, and while i have an affection for say Dusty, im certainly not pickign up and switching teams if he left.

this just comes with the increased americanisation of AFL, hell, coaches are now advocating for the ability to trade players mid season,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back