Society/Culture The Abortion Thread

Such a weird backwards way of thinking about it. A woman is forced to carry a pregnancy because she can’t kill it the same way someone is forced to be poor because they can’t rob a bank.

It would be more fitting that a dependent family member requires home care forcing the family member to care for them because wheeling them down to the med center to end their life and clear the way ahead for you is illegal. Except that the caring at home will only last for nine months and that person will recover.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
RIP Georgia film and TV industries

Tbh, besides certain creatives, the studios have largely been sitting on the fence. And that's because abortion isn't an issue that tracks well with men or religious/conservative women.

It's interesting comparing the muted Hollywood response with the outcry over trans bathroom laws and restrictive LBGT+ legislation in the South.

The reality is, gay rights are more popular and a happier topic to champion than abortion. Gay men have a lot of power in Hollywood. And while it's great we've adjusted our attitudes towards the queer community, I find it amazing that women always seem to be the last ones to the table.

As for the American laws, the appellant courts will likely strike them down. The restrictions are unconscionable, but will likely remain just not be as prohibitive.

And regardless of the SC's current conservative bent, R v W won't be overturned. It's an issue that gets Evangelicals/Conservative Catholics to the polling booths, but actually overturning the law would create a mess that the Republicans couldn't recover from.

AbrahamS

Team Captain
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
RIP Georgia film and TV industries
GOT actress says she won’t film in Georgia despite having worked in Ireland (abortions are banned). Disney gets all woke re Georgia despite its large push into China and it’s record. Woke Capitalists are just a bunch of hypocrites.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
GOT actress says she won’t film in Georgia despite having worked in Ireland (abortions are banned). Disney gets all woke re Georgia despite its large push into China and it’s record. Woke Capitalists are just a bunch of hypocrites.
What's woke mean?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

It's like Disney, Netflix and WarnerMedia are American companies employing American women and forcing them to have kids is a horrible idea.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Instructive piece by Penny Nance.

Penny Nance: World's tiniest surviving preemie shows abortion isn’t in line with science or common sense

Clearly, sweet Saybie was not just a clump of cells, nor was she ever “a part of the mother’s body.” Saybie was and is a distinct and precious human being with intrinsic value.

LIFE-HEALTH-TINY-BABY-SD-768x432.jpg

Baby Saybie at three pounds in March 2019. She is believed to be the smallest-ever surviving premature baby. Delivered in December, the infant weighed less than 9 ounces. (Sharp HealthCare)

Amazing stuff from Gilead. Mother charged with the manslaughter of her fetus because she started the fight in which she was shot in the stomach.

We've been thinking about another US trip but really, there are plenty of other places to travel.

Amazing stuff from Gilead. Mother charged with the manslaughter of her fetus because she started the fight in which she was shot in the stomach.

We've been thinking about another US trip but really, there are plenty of other places to travel.
If only the foetus had been carrying a gun.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was actually pointing out that I've copped my fair share of flak in this thread for the basis of my opinion being that human life begins when the unique human DNA is formed and basing the rest from that. Primarily that the convenience of the mother doesn't trump the right to life of the child.

That someone sees the ending of a human heart beat as a right is sick to me. I believe that human life, particularly innocent human life, shouldn't have value removed from it because social political pressure is over swinging hard on women's liberation and collecting columns of human decency in it's path. The value of the child's life shouldn't be decided by anyone and currently our system is that if she deems it valuable then it lives, if she doesn't then it dies, if the father deems it valuable but she doesn't then it dies and if the father doesn't deem it valuable but she does then it lives.

Legal doesn't make it right. Medical doesn't make it right.

But if you don't think it's a human life then you have no issues and on you go without interference from me.
Look you have argued passionately for your cause and that is to be respected.

I simply don't agree with it thou. A woman should not be forced into parenthood to carry a pregnancy against her will and I don't not see an early fetus as an independent sentient being and thus have no issue with abortion what so ever. It is not a child.

Imagine going to sleep one night and you owned that person who worked in your house, the next morning they were as human as you. Would blow your mind and you'd fight against it because facing the truth that you'd put a human life at the mercy of convenience would make you a monster. Or you recognise their humanity and had invested too much resources in the assets, so you need compensation.

No one owns anyone so I don't get your point. Everyone alive is as human as one another. That's like saying any boss owns any worker and if they fire any out of convenience they are a murderer because we need jobs to survive in the world.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes mandatory draft was aimed at making men do what the government wanted them to do. Controlling their labour.

I think you’re twisting yourself in knots trying to avoid the obvious: it’s not about saving the foetus so it can grow into a human, it’s about control.

No doubt that’s not the aim of some people, but it's the aim when governments get into it.

Why is it a surprise that many US states are schizophrenic on the issue of "the sanctity of life"? Some politicians are of course appealing to emotional religious people to stay in power and feather their own nests. Others are emotional religious people who can't handle the thought of a female having a choice about reproduction.

Females, it seems, cannot be trusted with the responsibility of deciding whether to bring a life into the world, but politicians can be trusted with the responsibility of removing life from the world.

The more publicly pious the politician, the more untrustworthy.

Roy Moore, Alabama hero:
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases...us-politicians-the-moral-of-immoral-roy-moore

It's bigoted religious ******** - whether it's a man or a woman exercising power.
so abortion at 36 weeks is ok?

I love when people who have don't have understanding of stats use stats to come up with a conclusion is full of crap.

The majority of people in the states consider themselves Christian, even Hillary Clinton claims she christian.

So... the majority of people support women’s right to access abortion services?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wholeheartedly support womens' right to abortion.

Not only because arguing with Bigfooty posters over the years has given me copious examples of their potential upside, but because I believe women have the right to choose the fate of organisms originating inside their own bodies, and that governments should interfere in our lives as little as possible. Of course there's also the argument abortions will always happen regardless and rendering them illegal merely drives the practice underground, putting women at risk.
36 week abortion ok within the womb and 36 week abortion outside the womb not ok?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
36 week abortion ok within the womb and 36 week abortion outside the womb not ok?
"Females, it seems, cannot be trusted with the responsibility of deciding whether to bring a life into the world, but politicians can be trusted with the responsibility of removing life from the world."

If a woman decides that it is ok to have a 36 weeks abortion, it shouldn't against the law?

"Females, it seems, cannot be trusted with the responsibility of deciding whether to bring a life into the world, but politicians can be trusted with the responsibility of removing life from the world."

If a woman decides that it is ok to have a 36 weeks abortion, it shouldn't against the law?
Dunno I’m not a doctor or a woman.

There will of course be a point where it should not be allowed, but at 36 weeks isn’t the fetus viable to be induced anyway?

You can pick an extreme case and then try to push that as the slippery slope destination or even make a straw man from it.

But let’s start with the right of a person to decide what happens with their own body, then work back from there. Sound like a good plan?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dunno I’m not a doctor or a woman.

There will of course be a point where it should not be allowed, but at 36 weeks isn’t the fetus viable to be induced anyway?

You can pick an extreme case and then try to push that as the slippery slope destination or even make a straw man from it.

But let’s start with the right of a person to decide what happens with their own body, then work back from there. Sound like a good plan?
A Fetus is not a woman's body part. One living being inside another living being.

When is it ok to end a humans life?

When is a living being becomes human?

Most people who agree that if a fetus is putting the mother life at risk, then it's ok to end the life of a fetus.

As a community are we ok with ending a life at 24,30,36 weeks?

If my wife and myself end our 2 and 4 years kids life, then it's our choose not the community.

Back