Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe they could get Kanye to commentate

hal-l.jpg

Author lost me as soon as he started comparing Chappelli unfavourably with Warne.

Chappell's endless reminiscing, while very annoying on occasion, is still infinitely better than what Warne produces IMO. Yes, when Warne actually talks in depth about the game or spin bowling he is very interesting, but that is such an infrequent sideshow to the usual fare of repeatedly criticising whichever player/tactic he's taken a set against that day, or trying to find the next Darryl, or talking about how many pizzas he demolished...

I don't mind Chappelli's meandering anecdotes of yesteryear, I enjoy the nostalgia, not of the actual stories themselves, but from the fact that he's been telling such stories for so many years that it takes me back to when I was a kid and I used to watch endless amounts of cricket and listen to Chappelli tell meandering anecdotes of yesteryear

I don't mind Chappelli's meandering anecdotes of yesteryear, I enjoy the nostalgia, not of the actual stories themselves, but from the fact that he's been telling such stories for so many years that it takes me back to when I was a kid and I used to watch endless amounts of cricket and listen to Chappelli tell meandering anecdotes of yesteryear
Ian sets the toaster to 3, medium brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, at the time even Billy Birmingham had Richie tell Chappelli: "no crapping on with boring anecdotes"......

Ian is the last of the commentators from the good old days - Bill only does MCG now - and I think more than anything it's refreshing to hear something from that era, over the locker-room banter we get now

This was annoying me too; the commentators are not the story, they are there to sell the story.
Except when they are there to sell Nine's next big flop, or next series of The Block.
tbf, that seems to have got much less in the last two years, and Slater is marginally less annoying as a result. Marginally. I'd still prefer he stuck to the NRL footy show where, again, I don't have to put up with him.

Yeah, at the time even Billy Birmingham had Richie tell Chappelli: "no crapping on with boring anecdotes"......

Ian is the last of the commentators from the good old days - Bill only does MCG now - and I think more than anything it's refreshing to hear something from that era, over the locker-room banter we get now

Some posters' attitudes towards Chappell amazes me. He is not some relic from the dim dark old days, he is a pioneer of the modern age of cricket, a man who had the balls to stand up against cricket officialdom and fight for players' rights.

Packer knew this, and that's why he dragged him out of retirement to head up the Australian WSC team. Apart from being one of the very best Australian Test batsmen I ever saw, he's also IMHO the best captain as well. He has been a wonderful servant to the game of cricket in Australia, and if he wants to come on and tell stories of a bygone era, then I welcome him doing just that.

At least Chappell talks about cricket. It's funny that people criticise the others for NOT talking cricket, and then get stuck into Chappell when he DOES. So, if Johnny-come-lately supporters don't want to hear him, tough. There's plenty of others who do. This is TEST cricket, and the history of the game is every bit as relevant as today's game.

Advice: Try actually listening to Chappell instead of whingeing about him .... you may actually learn something.

Will be interesting to get Symmo in there this year.
When fox had the bbl he was part of the team some of the time, i found him very easy & interesting to listen to, pretty honest as well! There were times when he was a no show to a game he was scheduled to be commentating on & flem & Julian would create a heap of banter about it

When fox had the bbl he was part of the team some of the time, i found him very easy & interesting to listen to, pretty honest as well! There were times when he was a no show to a game he was scheduled to be commentating on & flem & Julian would create a heap of banter about it
Yeah I've heard a very small amount of him before & liked him.

It'll be interesting to hear his opinions about some of the current crop of youngsters, in particular those called up on the national level.

He holds back no punches from memory so hopefully we get some good thoughts on things like the Wade/Nevill comparison or some conversation about the Faulkner/Marsh(s)/Maxwell's of the world & their roles going forward.

Either way, good to just get some variation over the summer.

Often the way with a few beers under the belt.

Yeah I've heard a very small amount of him before & liked him.

It'll be interesting to hear his opinions about some of the current crop of youngsters, in particular those called up on the national level.

He holds back no punches from memory so hopefully we get some good thoughts on things like the Wade/Nevill comparison or some conversation about the Faulkner/Marsh(s)/Maxwell's of the world & their roles going forward.

Either way, good to just get some variation over the summer.
He will be good, but usualy the whole BBL commentary team are by far better to listen to than the stale circle jerk boys club of the c9 commentary team

He will be good, but usualy the whole BBL commentary team are by far better to listen to than the stale circle jerk boys club of the c9 commentary team
I reckon Flemo is juuussstt starting to irritate me by seasons end.... Don't get me wrong, he's nowhere near the level of "Slats" but of all the BBL commentators he & MWaugh are prob the 2 that are starting to grate a little after a few months. Not horribly, just starting to slightly annoy me every now & then.

I like how they have shifts of 3 guys doing seperate games (like the footy). Unlike ch9 where every1 gets a go in a day BBL lends itself to changing it up match after match more often than sticking with the same crew day after day, week after week.

I reckon Flemo is juuussstt starting to irritate me by seasons end.... Don't get me wrong, he's nowhere near the level of "Slats" but of all the BBL commentators he & MWaugh are prob the 2 that are starting to grate a little after a few months. Not horribly, just starting to slightly annoy me every now & then.

I like how they have shifts of 3 guys doing seperate games (like the footy). Unlike ch9 where every1 gets a go in a day BBL lends itself to changing it up match after match more often than sticking with the same crew day after day, week after week.
Fleming is starting to have the same effect on me as well, he needs to tone it back a bit, M Waugh is annoying, it's like he a left over from the c 9 team! The simple fact that he is a campaigning idiot and a failed Australian selector is bemusing why he is still allowed to commentate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back