Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Would still despite his flaws take KP over most of the Aussie commentators.
No commentary at all would be an improvement on 9s Aussie commentators

Nicholas actually thinks about the game and doesn't delight in the sound of his own voice like KP.

He does come across as a bit of a pretentious knob sometimes though. Just the way he says some things, makes him sound like he thinks he's above it all. Which given the standard of his colleagues, he might well be, but you don't need to express that on air.

He does come across as a bit of a pretentious knob sometimes though. Just the way he says some things, makes him sound like he thinks he's above it all. Which given the standard of his colleagues, he might well be, but you don't need to express that on air.
He's a home counties w***er. But he's still better than most of the other clowns.

Compare the Nine box with the comm box from the final of the Australian Open.

Courier, Hewitt and Woodbridge all gave us insights into when Cilic bounces more on serve it means he's unsettled, Federer has gone to the Cilic forehand for years, and the need for Cilic to go wider on his second serve, which he then did, and he started winning.

Real insights into the game and what the players were thinking, based on their experience.

No 'hur hur Federer got a couple of balls in his pocket' or 'let me tell you about my career that one time when I played against Cilic'.

Just expert insights from blokes who've been there.

Left Channel 9's bunch of clueless derps in the shade.

The problem I can't stand with KP is that he just simply cannot articulate anything in less than about 50 words.

"England have done reaaaallly well here. REEALLLLY WELL. Joe Root. Jonny Bairstow. They're doing a fantastic job. A reeeeaaallllyyy fantastic job. The Aussies are under the pump here. Steve Smith. Great stuff from England. Don't write them off yet, Tubs. I think England are right in it..."

Get your hand off it mate.

The problem I can't stand with KP is that he just simply cannot articulate anything in less than about 50 words.

"England have done reaaaallly well here. REEALLLLY WELL. Joe Root. Jonny Bairstow. They're doing a fantastic job. A reeeeaaallllyyy fantastic job. The Aussies are under the pump here. Steve Smith. Great stuff from England. Don't write them off yet, Tubs. I think England are right in it..."

So basically Brereton?

Actually, now that I consider the comparison (in regards to commentary) it seems about right.

This is impossible to read without hearing Pietersen's voice.

Compare the Nine box with the comm box from the final of the Australian Open.

Courier, Hewitt and Woodbridge all gave us insights into when Cilic bounces more on serve it means he's unsettled, Federer has gone to the Cilic forehand for years, and the need for Cilic to go wider on his second serve, which he then did, and he started winning.

Real insights into the game and what the players were thinking, based on their experience.

No 'hur hur Federer got a couple of balls in his pocket' or 'let me tell you about my career that one time when I played against Cilic'.

Just expert insights from blokes who've been there.

Left Channel 9's bunch of clueless derps in the shade.
Great post. The one moment that especially stuck with me was when Courier goes "Federer when break point down on second serve will go to the Cilic forehand on the ad court". Sure enough, it happened and he saved the break point -- they then went on to discuss why this is a good tactic for Federer and if he will need to change things up if keeps having break points against him.

The only cricket commentator who I can think of at the moment who does this really well is Ponting. He can explain what the batsman or bowler is doing (or even going to do) to try and get the upper hand, simplifying things so that even the casual viewer understands what's happening while still giving great insight into the players' thought processes.

The only cricket commentator who I can think of at the moment who does this really well is Ponting. He can explain what the batsman or bowler is doing (or even going to do) to try and get the upper hand, simplifying things so that even the casual viewer understands what's happening while still giving great insight into the players' thought processes.
Agree, Ricky is great

However what always annoys me is after he makes a observation like this, there is a solid 5 minutes of "How good is Ricky Ponting, etc.." from the other commentators, rather than trying to go along with the conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post. The one moment that especially stuck with me was when Courier goes "Federer when break point down on second serve will go to the Cilic forehand on the ad court". Sure enough, it happened and he saved the break point -- they then went on to discuss why this is a good tactic for Federer and if he will need to change things up if keeps having break points against him.

The attempted colour commentators in Channel 9's team are followers. I.e. Cummins bowls fast and short, so they start talking about how Cummins is bowling fast and short. No s**t, it's TV. People are watching and can see that for themselves. There's very little discussion about why and why it is or isn't working etc.

Brendon McCullum is pretty good value in the BBL (mainly when mic'd up on field) as are a few of the other older players. Even Podge has some interesting insights. What you don't see watching on TV is the overall field settings. Often someone will hit a beautiful straight drive or pull shot etc. and you don't know if it's 4 or just an easy single because the camera is focused on the pitch and the commentators are crapping on about KFC trivia or Mark Waugh's shirt. I enjoy it when the commentators (or players) describe the field setting, where batsmen are looking to score, how they are likely to get a wicket or stem runs etc.

Agree, Ricky is great

However what always annoys me is after he makes a observation like this, there is a solid 5 minutes of "How good is Ricky Ponting, etc.." from the other commentators, rather than trying to go along with the conversation.

Yep. Ponting + 2 fanbois.

Often someone will hit a beautiful straight drive or pull shot etc. and you don't know if it's 4 or just an easy single because the camera is focused on the pitch and the commentators are crapping on about KFC trivia or Mark Waugh's shirt. I enjoy it when the commentators (or players) describe the field setting, where batsmen are looking to score, how they are likely to get a wicket or stem runs etc.

Yep. Of the commentators, Ponting's not bad, Baz is value and Symonds has his moments.

Howard = faux millenial social media shorthand/10-year-old boy hanging out with his heroes
Waugh = Sydney. Sydney. Sydney. Sydney.
Fleming = faux comedy and shoehorning his pointless jargon into everything
Pietersen = high-speed dribble. And golf.

Healy = whatever just happened and we saw with our own eyes
Taylor = whatever Channel 9 tells him to say
Slater = Davey Warner's fluffer
Chappelli = Grampa's slide and story night

For guys who played this game for 30 years (bar Howard), there is *-all insight there.

The attempted colour commentators in Channel 9's team are followers. I.e. Cummins bowls fast and short, so they start talking about how Cummins is bowling fast and short. No s**t, it's TV. People are watching and can see that for themselves. There's very little discussion about why and why it is or isn't working etc.

Brendon McCullum is pretty good value in the BBL (mainly when mic'd up on field) as are a few of the other older players. Even Podge has some interesting insights. What you don't see watching on TV is the overall field settings. Often someone will hit a beautiful straight drive or pull shot etc. and you don't know if it's 4 or just an easy single because the camera is focused on the pitch and the commentators are crapping on about KFC trivia or Mark Waugh's shirt. I enjoy it when the commentators (or players) describe the field setting, where batsmen are looking to score, how they are likely to get a wicket or stem runs etc.
I've always thought they should have a little field graphic on the scorebug like they do in cricket video games so the viewers can see the field setting.

I've always thought they should have a little field graphic on the scorebug like they do in cricket video games so the viewers can see the field setting.
What about the little box with the players running between the wickets that they had back in the day as well :)

Yes, I've often wondered why they don't go back to that little box so you didn't have to guess whether the batsmen were running because the commentators only seem intent on describing things we can actually see on the screen for ourselves. They even on occasion start exclaiming how great a shot is as the camera follows the ball through the air straight into the hands of an outfielder.

Yep. Of the commentators, Ponting's not bad, Baz is value and Symonds has his moments.

Howard = faux millenial social media shorthand/10-year-old boy hanging out with his heroes
Waugh = Sydney. Sydney. Sydney. Sydney.
Fleming = faux comedy and shoehorning his pointless jargon into everything
Pietersen = high-speed dribble. And golf.

Healy = whatever just happened and we saw with our own eyes
Taylor = whatever Channel 9 tells him to say
Slater = Davey Warner's fluffer
Chappelli = Grampa's slide and story night

For guys who played this game for 30 years (bar Howard), there is ****-all insight there.

I think Mark Waugh has some insights in amongst his Sydney bias, in particular what fields to set and the line he wants the bowlers to bowl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back