Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, Ricky is great

However what always annoys me is after he makes a observation like this, there is a solid 5 minutes of "How good is Ricky Ponting, etc.." from the other commentators, rather than trying to go along with the conversation.

In the last few days, some young people have paid tribute to the big bash and one kid talks about how their dad claims Gilly and Punter know everything.

Then they show footage from the Heat vs Thunder at the Gabba where Ponting correctly predicted a bouncer would be bowled. Howie then went on to say ''that's what you get in the big bash; Ricky Ponting telling you what's going to happen before it happens''.

Howie should have just said ''you called it, Ricky'', and left it at that. Instead it was fawning over somebody making a correct prediction. That's what happens when somebody is in awe of who they're commentating with.

Last edited:

I'd be happy if the cricket coverage on the telly resembled the main viewscreen at NASA mission control, with diagrams of fielding positions, inset boxes of batsman running, something to tell me that the ball's gone nowhere near as square as the camera angle would have you believe, plus all the much-missed player comfort readings from Tony Grieg's weatherwall scrolling across the bottom
So channel 7s shite megawall?

I don’t want to listen to Howie, full stop. Surely I’m not the only one who’d rather even KP over him? And yes I’ll go wash my mouth out with soap now for saying that.
He thinks he is owed something all the time. He has no idea. He is not a tv presenter he is just a boundary reporter. He thinks every single player in the tournament and on the field are his close mates from school, also thinks the guys in the box with him would all be groomsmen at his wedding. Fanboy’s all the time, just brought the Patrick dangerfiekd media attitude to the cricket. Ffs send him back doing movies as Owen Wilson’s stunt double

Seven couldn't balance the Australian Open and BBL, and CA wouldn't accept being shunted to their shitty secondary channels.

I'm not sure Nine or Ten can afford (or are willing to pay) to get it all. Status quo with Foxtel simulcasting seems likely.

Could it be a 9 or 10/Foxtel split similar to NRL/AFL. Fox show all matches live but 2-3 games a week are on 9 or 10, but have all home games in a state ie all Strikers matches on FTA in Adelaide

whey are there 3 commentators instead of 2?

Well they need to find a way to give Tubbs, Nicho, Slats, KP, Heals and Pup a decent amount of air time and having three is the solution they've come up with.

The commentary during the tests and ODI's has been better with two commentators instead of three. With three commentators, there's no silence, all talk and a need to talk to justify their existence in the box.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight's the last time we'll hear from these blokes for about 9 months. Not going to miss them apart from Bill and Chappelli.
Possibly even longer, given the TV rights are up for grabs again

What about poaching Basil Zempalis from 7 for BBL?

dF1HvAN.jpg

Why don't they try Kerry O'Keefe? Despite his dry laugh, I find him very insightful.

I don’t think Skull’s particular brand of jibber jabber lends itself particularly well to television, but it couldn’t hurt to give it a go.

O’Keefe used to pop up on occasion when Ch 9 broadcast domestic one-dayers in the 90s & 00s; was much more sedate back then, guess didn’t feel as comfortable as he was at the ABC.

O’Keefe used to pop up on occasion when Ch 9 broadcast domestic one-dayers in the 90s & 00s; was much more sedate back then, guess didn’t feel as comfortable as he was at the ABC.

His broadcasting/commentating start was for C7 on shield cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back