Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

This great man turned 81 last weekend. My favourite behind the mic, hopefully it was all happening on his special day.

a117b8f7d5bf4d6aafcf140ced955618

Bill chucking Warnie under the bus during the Boxing Day test in 2016 was quality: http://commentaryboxsports.com/australian/cricket/bill-lawry-roasts-warnie.html

My favourite Lawry moment:
LEGENDARY cricket commentator Bill Lawry has apologised after delivering a gay slur against Prince Alfred College, calling greats of the game who attended the school “a pack of NTTAWWTters”.

The former Test captain made the comment while addressing a room full of advertising executives and major brand representatives at Nine’s launch of its upcoming Ashes coverage in Sydney on Tuesday.

His attempt at light-hearted ribbing of commentary colleagues like Ian Chappell created a distinctly awkward moment.

In an exchange first reported on advertising news website Mumbrella, 80-year-old Lawry said: “He went to Prince Alfred College where all the great cricketers from South Australia went to, and of course all majored in knitting and crocheting — they were bloody, all a pack of NTTAWWTters … it was shocking.”

He then said “sorry girls” to the small number of women in the room.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...k=2ceb6e7c3cc1ac0677dd191d6573ef54-1518582968

It was Potential Aids Cases in the 80s. Not really funny knowing what I now now, kids are campaigners.
Yeah, I think it's the way the article is written is what makes it funny, rather than the event itself, especially "“Those present at the function realise there was no malice intended in the remark but that it could have been expressed better.”"

Yeah, I think it's the way the article is written is what makes it funny, rather than the event itself, especially "“Those present at the function realise there was no malice intended in the remark but that it could have been expressed better.”"
Context is everything and I think that it coming from an old fella with no malice intended most would let it through to the keeper.

I know it is silly but god damn listening to the NZ commentary for the ODI between ENG v. NZ was dreadful.

Even C9 was better (except T20s)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was great to watch the cricket, and not have the commentators talk for the sake of it, or talk about themselves endlessly.

also the work of the Sth African camera guys can always be appreciated

Allan Border is past his best on this commentary team, he's not terrible or annoying at all but I feel there are better options for special comments.
He's very inoffensive. Very rarely says anything controversial but at the same time never really provides any great insight.

Sounds like Channel Nine got the tennis. Can't see them doing that and the cricket, plus all the recent bad headlines and sponsors pulling out doesn't make for a good product.

Could be an easy win for Ten?

Decided to go out with a bang. I can't even imagine him what Slats would be like with Davey.
They must figure everybody wants to hear from people whose command of the language is as dismal as mine. After all, the cricket and RL coverage rates. They just haven't worked the ratings are in spite of the commentary, not partly because of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back