Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

You take out the term "gods", and you've described the Australian cricket team.

You're not wrong there. Perhaps that's why the commentary team at Nein is so keen to blow them all during interviews. They're not known as racist though. That appears to be an Indian specialty.

One major difference though, is that you'll rarely bump into an Australian cricket fan who thinks the national XI is immune to criticism, comment or reality. In fact, we think some of our side are complete w***ers who are lucky they've got talent to play one sport.

As for India though, you bump into the garden-variety Indian cricket fan and tell them Tendulkar is human or Kohli may not be the number one man on the planet. Try it. I have. It's hilarious.

You're not wrong there. Perhaps that's why the commentary team at Nein is so keen to blow them all during interviews. They're not known as racist though. That appears to be an Indian specialty.
From what I've seen, David Warner seems to be the most racist of the Australians. Remember : Speak English? But I think that the majority of the racism comes from the Australian supporters. Though, as I have not seen a game overseas, I have nothing to compare it to.
One major difference though, is that you'll rarely bump into an Australian cricket fan who thinks the national XI is immune to criticism, comment or reality. In fact, we think some of our side are complete ******s who are lucky they've got talent to play one sport.
I would say this is true of the later Clarke / Smith era of recent years. The Ponting era of Australian cricket was marvellous to watch, and the talent was flowing over. Recently, sledging has become the main sport rather than cricket and I don't enjoy it.
As for India though, you bump into the garden-variety Indian cricket fan and tell them Tendulkar is human or Kohli may not be the number one man on the planet. Try it. I have. It's hilarious.
I haven't seen much of Tendulkar play, so I cannot make any comments on him; just like I haven't seen Bradman play. As for Kohli, I think is his the number one batsmen at the moment, but it can change at any time. These cricketers are treated as gods in India, and get this reception because the sport is treated as a religion over there. The amount of money they make in advertising and sponsorship is way to much, and the one major downside of the IPL and T20 cricket.

I haven't seen much of Tendulkar play, so I cannot make any comments on him; just like I haven't seen Bradman play. As for Kohli, I think is his the number one batsmen at the moment, but it can change at any time. These cricketers are treated as gods in India, and get this reception because the sport is treated as a religion over there. The amount of money they make in advertising and sponsorship is way to much, and the one major downside of the IPL and T20 cricket.

I guess it's not that different to soccer in Brazil or parts of Europe and why Ronaldo and Messi make $300,000 a week. For kicking a soccer ball.

But the disparity between those playing T20 and those in the stands in India has always both fascinated and appalled me. Market forces I guess.

Cricketers are treated like gods there. I mean I can't speak for Indians but from hearing around and stuff. It's like their gateway out of the harshness of life like the same for Bollywood and also they see it as a way of pride when their cricketers win and stuff. Like what else sports do they have? Other than Sania Mirza, they really don't have much. Their football team literally lost to Guam.

Also the cricketers have temples.

Regarding Australia, it's not the board more like Brad and C9. Channel 10 gave some stick and so do ABC, so it's not a board thing. Also the players take it on the chin because they know that it is just white noise and they have a job to do.

Cricketers are treated like gods there. I mean I can't speak for Indians but from hearing around and stuff. It's like their gateway out of the harshness of life like the same for Bollywood and also they see it as a way of pride when their cricketers win and stuff. Like what else sports do they have? Other than Sania Mirza, they really don't have much. Their football team literally lost to Guam.
A few years ago I met a Bollywood actor (Amitabh Bachchan) in Mumbai and as my grandfather went to take a pic as i stood with the rest of the family, a crowd out about 15-20 locals gathered around him trying to take the same picture. It was crazy.

India have many other sports; Field Hockey is officially the national sport of the country. There are also heaps of other sports that are not popular here but very popular there, including Badminton and Chess (yes, I call it a sport. Come at me). There is also a sport called Kabaddi (popular in Asia and the South Pacific) which I've always wanted to play.

The only reason Sania Mirza gets the attention she gets here is that Tennis is a high profile sport in Australia. The coverage of sport in Australia on FTA is oligopoliized by the AFL, NRL, Australian cricket, and the Australian Open, with nothing much getting the headlines on the News.

The IPL has worked (without it's obvious flaws) so well for India that the Pro Kabaddi League and Indian Super League have been created for Kabaddi and Association Football, respectively. They've basically taken the IPL structure that most other cricket boards have adopted as well to create leagues for sports that get a s**t load of viewers. The teams are owned by conglomerates, companies, cricket starts, and Bollywood stars. I saw the ISL final while in India over the Christmas holidays and the stadiums was packed for the match between Goa (owned by Virat Kohli plus others.) and Chennai (owned by Abhishek Bachchan [Bollywood], MS Dhoni, plus others. And coached by Marco Materazzi). It doesn't matter that the Indian Football Team is s**t, Nita Ambani found a way to make money out of it.

I know football is popular there but not making strides internationally. I mean literally lost to Guam. Also field hockey has lost its place in terms of funding and such because of the craze of cricket. We all know that India used to be the GOATs of field hockey for about 50 years.

I know football is popular there but not making strides internationally. I mean literally lost to Guam. Also field hockey has lost its place in terms of funding and such because of the craze of cricket. We all know that India used to be the GOATs of field hockey for about 50 years.
For many sports in India, I think we have the talent to be competitive at a lot more sports internationally. But we lack funding for talent searches. It's only those that have the money and the exposure to the programs that make the representative sides.

One major difference though, is that you'll rarely bump into an Australian cricket fan who thinks the national XI is immune to criticism, comment or reality. In fact, we think some of our side are complete ******s who are lucky they've got talent to play one sport.

You make it sound like that's a good thing.

Also re: Indian fans, completely off the mark and probably based on responses to trolls on Facebook. Indian fans are actually notoriously pessimistic. I know from first hand experience watching cricket with dozens of Indians that it only takes 2-3 failures before Indian players are labeled as overpaid hacks. It's quite annoying actually. And let's not forget the effigies and house vandalizing (thankfully this doesn't happen anywhere near as much). There's obviously a lot of passion involved - for reasons already discussed - and probably to an unhealthy extent in some cases. It explains the excessive behavior.

Finally aren't there more cases of racism from Australian players than Indian??

Last edited:
From what I've seen, David Warner seems to be the most racist of the Australians. Remember : Speak English? But I think that the majority of the racism comes from the Australian supporters. Though, as I have not seen a game overseas, I have nothing to compare it to.

I would say this is true of the later Clarke / Smith era of recent years. The Ponting era of Australian cricket was marvellous to watch, and the talent was flowing over. Recently, sledging has become the main sport rather than cricket and I don't enjoy it.

You understand the hypocrisy of saying this and then having an avatar of Virat Kholi right? He is one of the biggest sledgers in the game (which I have no problem with btw).

You understand the hypocrisy of saying this and then having an avatar of Virat Kholi right? He is one of the biggest sledgers in the game (which I have no problem with btw).
But Virat is at the top of his game at the moment, compared to say: Warner.

And the fact that I chose that pic is only because of Virat played well against Australia. He isn't my favourite Indian player.

But Virat is at the top of his game at the moment, compared to say: Warner.

And the fact that I chose that pic is only because of Virat played well against Australia. He isn't my favourite Indian player.
I don't get the point of this. Is it o.k. to sledge when "at the top of your game"? Kholi has sledged even when out of form. He was ******* s**t in England yet him and Jedeja systematically sledged the England side.

Not that I think its relevant either but Warner has turned down his sledging since he hasn't been "at the top of his game". Again I don't even think those two aspects are linked.

I'm taking the thread off-topic here (sorry) but I just hate the hypocrisy that exists when it comes to sledging in International cricket. To get the thread back on topic Healy was a guest on Slaters radio show and they were actually pretty insightful at times when talking cricket. They're just so much more relaxed and seem to say less stupid stuff.

I'm taking the thread off-topic here (sorry) but I just hate the hypocrisy that exists when it comes to sledging in International cricket. To get the thread back on topic Healy was a guest on Slaters radio show and they were actually pretty insightful at times when talking cricket. They're just so much more relaxed and seem to say less stupid stuff.

Well I mean we all knew it's Brad. Brad thinks that Australians love their team and their commentators being cheerleaders apparently while trying to be 'cool'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh on Warner.

He is an inarticulate bloke who though Rohit was talking to him in Hindi

Clumsy sure but not racist

If only Symonds was under the same "misconception"... ;)

Huh. Those cases are pretty different.

And for what it's worth I don't think Harbhajan is racist (though I have found that for some reason or another racism against darker skinned people isn't rare in India) - he just knew that he could get Symmonds to react to it.

Huh. Those cases are pretty different.

And for what it's worth I don't think Harbhajan is racist (though I have found that for some reason or another racism against darker skinned people isn't rare in India) - he just knew that he could get Symmonds to react to it.

While my comment was tongue in cheek, it's not really different. Just sayin' it'd be interesting if Symonds actually didn't think Harbhajan was calling him a monkey in English. It'd be a non-issue ofcourse if Symonds, like Warner, thought Harby was speaking in Hindi. Just for the record this isn;t to start up a debate on whether or not he did call him a monkey.

While my comment was tongue in cheek, it's not really different. Just sayin' it'd be interesting if Symonds actually didn't think Harbhajan was calling him a monkey in English. It'd be a non-issue ofcourse if Symonds, like Warner, thought Harby was speaking in Hindi. Just for the record this isn;t to start up a debate on whether or not he did call him a monkey.

Nah. Symonds thought he was speaking English.

In any case it's not something I want to discuss further anyway.

Just that I don't think Warner is racist just clumsy and very inarticulate.
And given I think the Australian and Indian players actually get on quite well now I don't think the Indian players reckon he is racist either

Whilst it doesn't necessarily suggest that he's racist/not racist, it might be worth remembering why Warner punched out Joe Root.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back