Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a big fan of the often much maligned channel 9 commentary team. Bill Lawry, Michael Slater, Mark Taylor, Mark Nicholas and even James Brayshaw nail the big moments and bring a lot of passion.

As you can see here, they make it an event and very exciting to watch.

Some of them aren't that bad on the big moments, but the rest of the time they are mostly truly awful. And the big moments are, by definition, a very small minority of the time.

I do think Nicholas makes an excellent host - pretty impressive in every setting I've seen him in. Knowledgeable, speaks well and respects the audience. Might sometimes get carried away with excessive adjectives and drawing a bit too much meaning from what is just sport, but I guess that passion is one of the things I like about him. Can't think of many better counterparts in the other sports that I watch - Benaud was in a class of his own, but Nicholas is a worthy heir.

Watching the Matador Cup, and they're actually talking about cricket, it's very disappointing to hear. I'm left sitting here wondering what each commentator's favourite pizza is, without them providing so much as a clue. Outrageous.

Wouldn't call it good but not flogging sponsors and TV shows certainly helps.

I tried pretty much every technical outlet in the house to get Gem up (T-Box's are ******* s**t), then realised that you can watch it on your ipad with the Cricket Australia app, I then airplay it to my Apple TV. :thumbsu:

Disappointed with Healy being there, it's too early in the year to hear him. Having said that, this is all you want, cricket and discussion at a normal, every day, human pace.

The ground lacks atmosphere...

I think the difference between this and the internationals is that the bogans aren't watching, so the commentators don't need to crap on about random s**t like pizza and actually talk about the game itself. At least, I think most of the stupid s**t that 9 say is a pathetic appeal to a less refined audience who isn't into the hardcore analysis that most of us are into.

I think the difference between this and the internationals is that the bogans aren't watching, so the commentators don't need to crap on about random s**t like pizza and actually talk about the game itself. At least, I think most of the stupid s**t that 9 say is a pathetic appeal to a less refined audience who isn't into the hardcore analysis that most of us are into.

100%.

We want full fledged analysis and those commentators can do it, I mean they have all captained a team and/or played a lot of tests but when you have producers telling you to ramble on and be more closer to the casual fan then you're gonna have stupid s**t like pizza. All for ratings. Look at the news for example, it's about ratings and getting more people tuned.

How many people in Australia are deadset massive fans of cricket that we can watch matches internationally and understand the nuances of the game regardless of the depth of our knowledge? Then compare to those that watch cricket only in the summer and don't know what's happening around the world? The latter has more, I think.

Mentioning the audience at all is a cop out. Nobody's asking for a sports version of Antony Green to commentate, that whole argument is a strawman.

Lowest common denominator/talking about garbage isn't standard practice for free-to-air sport anywhere. Serving up The Footy Show Lite is very much a Nine decision in no way forced upon them.

Mentioning the audience at all is a cop out. Nobody's asking for a sports version of Antony Green to commentate, that whole argument is a strawman.

Lowest common denominator/talking about garbage isn't standard practice for free-to-air sport anywhere. Serving up The Footy Show Lite is very much a Nine decision in no way forced upon them.

It is their decision and they picked that route to go there and I stated the reasoning on why. They can easily change their approach but it is more on the producers than the commentators. Though some commentators (Brayshaw) shouldn't be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important:

Triple M today announced that it has signed a two year deal with Cricket Australia to broadcast selected Australian Test cricket matches over the next two summers.

As the inaugural FM broadcaster of Test Cricket in Australia, Triple M will bring its listeners the 2016-17 Commonwealth Bank Test Series against Pakistan and the Ashes Test Series played in Australia in the 2017-18 season.

Extending its proud heritage of sports broadcasting, this will be Triple M’s first foray into broadcasting Test Cricket. To ensure the best coverage, Triple M has appointed Brad McNamara as its Cricket Executive Producer.

Also doing a weekly cricket show on Thursdays in the drive slot with Damien Fleming, James Brayshaw, Gus Worland from mid-November.

Well not like I listen to Triple M anyway (unless I'm in the car during footy season). ABC cricket is where it is at and hopefully that means no more Brayshaw on C9

Extending its proud heritage of sports broadcasting, this will be Triple M’s first foray into broadcasting Test Cricket. To ensure the best coverage, Triple M has appointed Brad McNamara as its Cricket Executive Producer.

Also doing a weekly cricket show on Thursdays in the drive slot with Damien Fleming, James Brayshaw, Gus Worland from mid-November.

my "flog-o-meter" just exploded!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back