The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do some players always have to get their full name announced (e.g. easton wood)

It would be related to the number of syllables of their surnames? Commentators in the AFL just love the sound of their own voice, so filling in as much airtime as possible is like an objective.

O-ra-zi-o-fan-ta-si-a

I know many ppl dislike BT but he does add a bit of colour during a time when footy commentary was starting to sound like the dullness of tennis commentating .

With that said i would prefer a fresh voice, feel and look to watching AFL.
Ch7 has just become too predictable and boring, maybe because we're so used to them now after all these years.

Wish they could give it to Ch10. At least that way I won't have to listen to Lingy telling me the team who kicks more goals wins.

Imagine attending a game and there were 3-5 guys sitting around you commentating the game. People would be telling them to STFU and if they didnt youd end up swinging after 10 minutes.

So why is it any different on TV?

I'd happily happily and eagerly mute the commentating and just have the crowd noise if foxtel would allow.

The goals and marks of the year half the time its the surrounding commentary that makes them seem better than they are.

The Eddie Betts Goal against GWS whilst it was great it was the 'Fooled them all, escapes, Eddie Betts EDDIE BETTS AHHHH'
That made it better.

Lou Richards and Peter Landy would run rings around these modern day commentary idiots.
I cant listen to any of them without throwing something at a wall.

Painful.
Good call, stumbled on the classic game replay on fox yesterday and it was the famous WA v Vic state of origin at Subi - Lou and Dennis were calling, was a great commentary. That game has now slipped to second favorite game witnessed after the 2018 GF.

Good call, stumbled on the classic game replay on fox yesterday and it was the famous WA v Vic state of origin at Subi - Lou and Dennis were calling, was a great commentary. That game has now slipped to second favorite game witnessed after the 2018 GF.

Lou Richards was an absolutely fantastic commentator. I recently watched on Fox a replay of the 1984 GF and he articulated the game perfectly. What a voice.

I didnt hear one pathetic joke, not one mention of a players wife in the stands, not a mention of a players hair style, no giggling stupidity. The bloke was idolised by many, but I truly think his commentary was not recognised the way it should be. I listen to knobs like Zempalis, Bruce, BT and all the rambling idiots who blow a load 5 minutes into a home & away game, thinking its the last quarter of a GF. It is amateur hour at its best these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys need to lighten up. Its a game of footy ffs. The commentators are allowed to make a joke or get excited sometimes.

You said it : Its a game of footy.

Not a platform for try hard comedians. Zempalis is about as funny as Toady off Neighbors.
I agree, nothing wrong with getting excited, but blowing a wad in the first few quarter is kinda lame.

Imagine attending a game and there were 3-5 guys sitting around you commentating the game. People would be telling them to STFU and if they didnt youd end up swinging after 10 minutes.

So why is it any different on TV?

I'd happily happily and eagerly mute the commentating and just have the crowd noise if foxtel would allow.

Just about every time that sort of option has been tried, even in NFL, people overwhelmingly chose it.

You guys need to lighten up. Its a game of footy ffs. The commentators are allowed to make a joke or get excited sometimes.
Which they did back in 2000s, much more naturally and not at the expense of the match they were calling. But some producer/exec decided to feature that angle and it has become so completely over the top now. Go ahead and watch some games from that time on the Classic AFL youtube channel. Same voices but with a much different(IMHO better) focus and content.
I can't believe that the majority of people turning the channel to a footy match would rather be entertained by the announcers than by the game itself.

Which they did back in 2000s, much more naturally and not at the expense of the match they were calling. But some producer/exec decided to feature that angle and it has become so completely over the top now. Go ahead and watch some games from that time on the Classic AFL youtube channel. Same voices but with a much different(IMHO better) focus and content.
I can't believe that the majority of people turning the channel to a footy match would rather be entertained by the announcers than by the game itself.
its almost like one absurd, deliberate and continuous piss take.....except its so bad the joke is on them.......maybe we are being trolled

Bruce is the worst by far for mine. Often his commentary has homoerotic undertones (ie. delicious, you'd love to be tackled by him etc.), which is completely unnecessary and has me constantly cringing during his games.

He has this reputation as a legendary sports commentator, which I have never understood either. If you're going to be considered one of the greats, you need to have a few tricks outside of asking the same rhetorical questions repeatably throughout a match (ie. you would give him a chance from here, wouldn’t you?).

He’s a complete amateur.
I totally agree. He is forever asking the same questions to the ex players in commentary and at the same time salivating over the microphone. His use of pet names for players is sickening and I cannot stand his calls.

Kerry Packer wanted to play a sport representing Australia. However, all his money and power couldn't achieve this.
So he channeled all his spite and frustration into ensuring that generations of Australians would have to listen to morons and cretins talking about sport on his television channel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back