The Academies - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really interested in afl policy. I have been since before GWS were a club. I'm finishing off my masters of public policy and i work in the policy sector.

Well what have you learnt?

It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to see that the idea of setting up a team from scratch in rugby league heartland NSW was going to require unprecedented support for it to work.

The rival teams seemed very happy with the idea and in particular the share of additional television rights to be carved up between them with the establishment of this team.

The rivals were happy to tick off on draft concessions and the establishment of an Academy servicing the wider NSW and particularly the Riverina which although historically a strong source for producing AFL talent had vastly underperformed in recent times.

The rivals were happy to allow GWS to use the concessions to their capacity in stockpiling young talent and aided this process in being unwilling to trade what they deemed untouchable or required players.

Everything was rosy.

The TV rights were doubled and a new easybeat side was established to take the heat off failing rivals...jobs right!!

But then the unthinkable...GWS actually started to win, and then win a lot. They also became an attractive club with good coaches and facilities and were able to retain their best players. They even started to attract guns from other clubs.

And so the sky started falling and GWS become public enemy Number 1.

The AFL become the ruthless pimp, the once smitten media with their "Ohh they're so young and exciting" calls turned too "They are becoming a monster and will win everything for the next 10 years" and the spin turned from encouraging to the world is ending fast.

So with the success came the scare mongering led by the greatest self-interested double-faced triple-chinned scumbag in AFL, Eddie McGuire.

Then his media lackeys were put in place with Jonny Ralph, Jay Clarke, Damian Barrett and co all putting out the consistent negative vibe about GWS, its "ridiculous" (but completely signed off on) concessions and the group 1 access to the all conquering Academy leeching all possible talent from the only source of viable AFL talent...the Riverina.

And as soon as a controversy broke out all the comrades bandy together to railroad the Giants and "bring them back to justice" led by the AFL equivalent of the Grim Reaper working side by side with Sydney's drunken failed former NRL coach and chief AFL hater Roy Masters.

Lets punish the evil Giants!! Lets really make it hurt, take their draft picks, take Albury from them. Make the bastards pay!!...after all they haven't had to wait for 50 years to win a flag, they've just nearly swindled it after 5. How dare they be successful so early??

This is the reality of where we sit today and how VFL fans have been manipulated into hating the Giants.

Ask for a new toy with benefits, play with it, get bored with it, chuck it out.

The last one of those was the Brisbane Lions...now that the cash is guarenteed, the VFL mob will do everything possible to do the same to us.

There is your thesis...you're welcome.

Last edited:
At the end of the day GWS will still have an academy, the Riverina isn't needed though and I do feel that is fair. Cut the Riverina and then it should be fine. GWS will still have rights to the other players. It isn't that big a deal and gas will still have a monster list anyway.

Forgive my ignorance but when you say the Murray area are you talking Murray bushrangers/Riverina?

I'm going off the single article to date, which says:

The AFL has again bowed to pressure from Victorian clubs and is set to remove Albury and the Murray River region from the GWS Giants academy zone from next year.

Wagga Wagga and the surrounding areas of the Riverina are likely to remain as part of the Giants’ talent region.

Basically I'm referring to "the Murray River region", which I'm assuming is any area within a certain distance of the border. It's not clear yet. I wasn't thinking of a specific mapping to the TAC Cup team.

Well what have you learnt?

It doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to see that the idea of setting up a team from scratch in rugby league heartland NSW was going to require unprecedented support for it to work.

The rival teams seemed very happy with the idea and in particular the share of additional television rights to be carved up between them with the establishment of this team.

The rivals were happy to tick off on draft concessions and the establishment of an Academy servicing the wider NSW and particularly the Riverina which although historically a strong source for producing AFL talent had vastly underperformed in recent times.

The rivals were happy to allow GWS to use the concessions to their capacity in stockpiling young talent and aided this process in being unwilling to trade what they deemed untouchable or required players.

Everything was rosy.

The TV rights were doubled and a new easybeat side was established to take the heat off failing rivals...jobs right!!

But then the unthinkable...GWS actually started to win, and then win a lot. They also became an attractive club with good coaches and facilities and were able to retain their best players. They even started to attract guns from other clubs.

And so the sky started falling and GWS become public enemy Number 1.

The AFL become the ruthless pimp, the once smitten media with their "Ohh they're so young and exciting" calls turned too "They are becoming a monster and will win everything for the next 10 years" and the spin turned from encouraging to the world is ending fast.

So with the success came the scare mongering led by the greatest self-interested double-faced triple-chinned scumbag in AFL, Eddie McGuire.

Then his media lackeys were put in place with Jonny Ralph, Jay Clarke, Damian Barrett and co all putting out the consistent negative vibe about GWS, its "ridiculous" (but completely signed off on) concessions and the group 1 access to the all conquering Academy leeching all possible talent from the only source of viable AFL talent...the Riverina.

And as soon as a controversy broke out all the comrades bandy together to railroad the Giants and "bring them back to justice" led by the the AFL equivalent of the Grim Reaper working side by side with Sydney's drunken failed former NRL coach and chief AFL hater Roy Masters.

Lets punish the evil Giants. Lets really make it hurt, take their draft picks, take Albury from them. Make the bastards pay...after all they haven't had to wait for 50 years to win a flag, they've just nearly swindled it after 5. How dare they be successful so early??

This is the reality of where we sit today and how VFL fans have been manipulated into hating the Giants.

Ask for a new toy wih benefits, play with it, get bored with it, chuck it out.

The last one of those was the Brisbane Lions...now that the cash is guarenteed, the VFL mob will do everything possible to do the same to us.

There is your thesis...you're welcome.

Haha good read. I disagree that those who oppose specific parts of the academies can't be doing this in an informed manner.

The world isn't out to get you though. The afl just has to balance growth with equity. The policy needs to respond to changes in circumstances and the demands of stakeholders. When policies are "too successful", it usually makes sense to change them.

Basically I'm referring to "the Murray River region", which I'm assuming is any area within a certain distance of the border. It's not clear yet. I wasn't thinking of a specific mapping to the TAC Cup team.

That's fair enough, I was mainly querying because I've seen brander crop up in the media regarding GWS' Riverina zone.

Wentworth is 6 and a half hours away from places like Albury and Wagga.

At the end of the day GWS will still have an academy, the Riverina isn't needed though and I do feel that is fair. Cut the Riverina and then it should be fine. GWS will still have rights to the other players. It isn't that big a deal and gas will still have a monster list anyway.

Perhaps, but just watch the diminishment of talent. It will still happen but watch for other "hot spots" to emerge.

FFS in 12 months 2 top 10 talents have come from Collingullie...hardly AFL royalty in terms of being an historical feeder of talent.

It will take more time for these short sighted imbeciles to acknowledge that a big part of this is the dilligent mentoring and training from the Academy...when it sinks in they will ask for that to be banned and for it to just be run by the AFL.

Haha good read. I disagree that those who oppose specific parts of the academies can't be doing this in an informed manner.

The world isn't out to get you though. The afl just has to balance growth with equity. The policy needs to respond to changes in circumstances and the demands of stakeholders. When policies are "too successful", it usually makes sense to change them.

Well perhaps then we should win something before being deemed too successful??

Im also keen on seeing an exact map of what they are doing because I dont consider Wenworth to tbe in the Murray region. There is a Murray FL which boundary stops at Echuca and goes north to Deni and then back across to Mulwala. From there across east would be the Albury region but again how far north they draw the line will be interesting.

Perhaps, but just watch the diminishment of talent. It will still happen but watch for other "hot spots" to emerge.

FFS in 12 months 2 top 10 talents have come from Collingullie...hardly AFL royalty in terms of being an historical feeder of talent.

It will take more time for these short sighted imbeciles to acknowledge that a bug part of this is the dilligent mentoring and training from the Academy...when it sinks in they will ask for that to be banned and for it to just be run by tthe AFL.

Have no issue with an academy, in fact I have said all clubs should have one in developing areas. However, the Riverina is not a developing area. Players have come through there before and they have reasonable opportunities in the Riverina. Any other area is fine, and you deserve to have access to these players via the academy. Sydney's academy is fine and GWS will have a similar one after the scale backs. That is pretty fair.

That's fair enough, I was mainly querying because I've seen brander crop up in the media regarding GWS' Riverina zone.

AFL are questioning his eligiblity because his parents own properties on both sides of the border. They may try and use the new zone as a way of denying us him because from all reports he will go quite high in the draft.

I don't think anyone in the media bothers to establish a consistent "Riverina" definition. GWS's zone stretches across the whole southern and western borders of NSW, well outside of the Riverina:

GWS_Giants_Zones.jpg

If they just took the Alburay and Murray regions as defined in that map, it seems pretty odd given we'll just have people whinging about Corowa (produced a few AFL players) or others. That's why I figured they meant a stretch all the way along the Murray.

If they did just exorcise Murray, Berrigan, Corowa and Albury, that'd probably give them what they want in an easily defined manner.

Have no issue with an academy, in fact I have said all clubs should have one in developing areas. However, the Riverina is not a developing area. Players have come through there before and they have reasonable opportunities in the Riverina. Any other area is fine, and you deserve to have access to these players via the academy. Sydney's academy is fine and GWS will have a similar one after the scale backs. That is pretty fair.

We deserve an advantage until it is a more level playing field. Clubs like Geelong and Western Bulldogs have secured flags on he back of Father/Son selections. We have no access to this for at least 20 more years.

That said not losing sleep as we will work with whatever these pricks manipulate into being policy.

It will just be nice to stop hearing them bitch about everything.

AFL are questioning his eligiblity because his parents own properties on both sides of the border. They may try and use the new zone as a way of denying us him because from all reports he will go quite high in the draft.

Should depend where he spends the most time, if it is inside the boarder, he's all yours, if not he isn't. Similar to Todd Marshall this year, and who knows people tend to overrate these academy boys anyway, the amount of times I have seen the words 'potential number 1 pick' with about 20 academy boys...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We deserve an advantage until it is a more level playing field. Clubs like Geelong and Western Bulldogs have secured flags on he back of Father/Son selections. We have no access to this for at least 20 more years.

That said not losing sleep as we will work with whatever these pricks manipulate into being policy.

It will just be nice to stop hearing them bitch about everything.

You did get mini draft concessions and a number of 17 year olds, pretty much the same as getting a few father sons. Academy rules will constantly be changed, especially the more AFL is played n these areas. I have no issue with our academy borders being altered if that happens in the future. Both clubs should be striving to make these areas AFL heartland, and when they do the academy has done its job.

Well perhaps then we should win something before being deemed too successful??

I was referring to the academies, and the level of talent that has come out of them. Assuming a similar level of investment, the four academies should deliver something close to a similar return. The change has been made as this hasn't proved to be the case.

Should depend where he spends the most time, if it is inside the boarder, he's all yours, if not he isn't. Similar to Todd Marshall this year, and who knows people tend to overrate these academy boys anyway, the amount of times I have seen the words 'potential number 1 pick' with about 20 academy boys...

Brander boards in geelong and plays TAC for Bendigo

Its complex. He was signed to academy years ago, he now boards at Geelong Grammar and since he has been boarding his parents have now moved to a second property on the Vic side of the border.

Brander boards in geelong and plays TAC for Bendigo

Then shouldn't be eligible for the academy as he's nowhere near the region. The academy is designed to bridge the gap between AFL opportunities, if you are playing TAC Cup you have every opportunity and training.

Its complex. He was signed to academy years ago, he now boards at Geelong Grammar and since he has been boarding his parents have now moved to a second property on the Vic side of the border.

If he's playing TAC Cup, you shouldn't get him. He's getting the training and development there. Not missing out on anything playing TAC Cup. If you want him, trade up to get him.

I was referring to the academies, and the level of talent that has come out of them. Assuming a similar level of investment, the four academies should deliver something close to a similar return. The change has been made as this hasn't proved to be the case.

That is incorrect, each year is different. GC have a possible Pick 3 this year in Bowes, BL have a potential Pick 1 next year, previously the Swans have had Pick 1 talents in Heeney and Mills. Its cyclical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back