Banter The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 2 (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm freedom of choice.
Me too.

The article was about Latino voters in the US being personally against it, but against it being made illegal. Which is the same position I hold.

A different article same point.

After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade over a month ago, 19% of surveyed Latino voters said abortion is now among their top issues, compared to just 3% in 2020.

Of those who listed abortion as an important issue this year, 69% said they worry that abortion bans put womenā€™s lives at risk and 58% are concerned that elected officials could pass laws further restricting womenā€™s reproductive rights, such as making birth control illegal.

Moreover, 76% of surveyed Latino voters believe that no matter what their personal beliefs about abortion are, it is wrong to make abortion illegal and take that choice away, according to the poll.

Yawn.

Iā€™ve taken almost all of the vaccines available in this country, with the exception of flu and Covid.

I did not take the Covid vaccine because I estimated that the risk of me suffering severe disease or going to hospital was extremely low.

I got Covid earlier this year, recovered from it, and was fine.

So I was right. My assessment of my own risk was spot on.

I know you and your goons would prefer that not to be true, but I really donā€™t know what else to tell you.

I'm not anti vax. I'm just anti THIS vax!

The same argument made by the idiots who perpetuated the view that the MMR vaccine causes autism.

And you still don't get it. It's not about you, the idiot individual. Your single anecdotal case means absolutely ******* nothing. But you'll never get it.

I got 3 jabs at earliest availability but thereā€™s no doubt that the mandates were wrong and forced under false pretences. All your lemming mates in here believed that by getting vaccinated they were saving other people. Whereas the simple fact was always that COVID would rip through a vaccinated, masked and controlled population.

But I bet you still believe that being vaccinated stopped you spreading it. Iā€™d ask for a yes or no answer, but like ADL, you are at least smart enough to know when youā€™re cornered.

It's funny how much you got wrong in such a brief comment.

While responding to my comment which explained that THE REASON YOU DECIDED YOU GET THE VACCINE IS IRRELEVANT.

And by having a vaccinated population, it literally did save people, in several different ways. If you're too dumb to get that, nobody can help you.

he clearly didn't say he'd be handcuffed the moment he left the white house.
Well I do agree Vader didn't use specifically use the word handcuffs, and I think we all remember poor AOC having to pretend to be handcuffed because the police refused to actually handcuff her, but it's pretty clear what 1970's point was, and you are attempting very precise definitional work to argue that he was wrong.

A Florida court of appeal this week upheld a decision stating a 16-year-old teen could not get an abortion because she lacked the maturity to make such a decision, even after the parentless teen said she was not ready to have a child and is still in school.

The teen, identified only as Jane Doe 22-B, has no parents but is in the care of Floridaā€™s child welfare agency and has a guardian. She is about 10 weeks pregnant and currently resides with a relative.

This year, Floridaā€™s GOP-led Legislature banned pregnant people from receiving abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The law provides no exceptions for rape or incest. That law, however, is separate from the parental consent requirement

Nice work Ron D. Let's get those incest babies to work!

Just maybe don't live in Florida if you don't want to have the baby of your rapist.

But, Vote 1 Ron D still. Clearly a man of the people.

Well I do agree Vader didn't use specifically use the word handcuffs, and I think we all remember poor AOC having to pretend to be handcuffed because the police refused to actually handcuff her, but it's pretty clear what 1970's point was, and you are attempting very precise definitional work to argue that he was wrong.
No that's literally what you are trying to do in your typical roundabout way.

I pointed out he used that for dramatic effect which he did.

You've now wasted everyone's time trying to prove he didn't. Your new arguement being words don't count. I mean heck can't go far after that.

Edit - I missed your AOC reference, sorry I don't really follow her. What has she done to upset you?

You've now wasted everyone's time trying to prove he didn't. Your new arguement being words don't count. I mean heck can't go far after that.
Oh man, you get me every time. There I was trying to answer your question with a specific reference to actual words and you shift the goalposts in a way that no-one will notice. You're still the king

Oh man, you get me every time. There I was trying to answer your question with a specific reference to actual words and you shift the goalposts in a way that no-one will notice. You're still the king
The goal posts didn't move. 1970 literally added handcuffs for dramatic effect.

You simply tried to make a point that wasn't there.

You could have stopped at any point.

Edit

1970Crow
I know youā€™re new here, and welcome BTW, but we were reliably told that the only reading he challenged the election outcome was because he was 100% going to be handcuffed upon heā€™s big the Whitehouse grounds. And numerous other going to jail certainties.

Me
I don't think anyone suggested what you have said, I'll assume you said it for dramatic effect

Your evidence of someone saying Trumps going to he led from the White house in handcuffs.

There is no doubt that a sealed indictment exists, with Donald Trump's name on it. Trump cannot be charged with Federal crimes while he remains in office. However, he can be charged as soon as his term expires.

Given that Cohen has already been charged, pleaded guilty, and been sent to prison, there is very little doubt that a similar fate (barring the guilty plea) awaits Trump as soon as he is no longer President.

Nothing about being led from the white house, nothing about handcuffs.

A reasonably good prediction that the guy is going to be facing jail term, given what we can all clearly see going on (although I don't agree that he'll end up in Jail.)

Although I do agree with the premise that he wanted to stay in power to avoid court on other issues, that would be very Donald Trump.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media bias charts. Cap loves to quote all the left leaning sights. A few that have been rated as leans left imho are extreme left. NYT, Politico,NPR, The Guardian is Pravda 100%. I like its sport section though. The NYT is as far left as it goes. They were actually once accused of denying the Holocaust happened. They have never endorsed a Republican regardless. Yahoo might be closer to the center. I mostly always like Reuters, The Hill, WSJ and BBC

1660775998038.png

Last edited:
I'm not anti vax. I'm just anti THIS vax!
So by your logic everyone who doesnā€™t get a flu vax is anti-vax.

Thatā€™s a lot of anti-vaxxers. Over half the country!

And you still don't get it. It's not about you, the idiot individual. Your single anecdotal case means absolutely ******* nothing. But you'll never get it.

Yes Iā€™m well aware you have no time for individual cases by how you dismiss and gaslight people whoā€™ve experienced life-changing adverse reactions from the Covid vaccine.

Just collateral damage to you, right? Just anecdotal idiots, the lot of them.

Media bias charts. Cap loves to quote all the left leaning sights. A few that have been rated as leans left imho are extreme left. NYT, Politico,NPR, The Guardian is Pravda 100%. I like its sport section though. The NYT is as far left as it goes. They were actually once accused of denying the Holocaust happened. They have never endorsed a Republican regardless. Yahoo might be closer to the center. I mostly always like Reuters, The Hill, WSJ and BBC

View attachment 1481076
Yes, people who are far right generally see most things as left or left leaning. That's not new.

I provide links to sites that aren't paywalled (or try to) l, not that anyone reads them anyway I guess.

It's interesting they have AP as left leaning, most sites have it as centralist.

Paywalled.

You got access? Copy and paste here if you can

DeSantis wants Jan 6 hearings to get Trump indicted, report claims
ā€˜Ron DeSantis is lying in wait, sharpening his knives,ā€™ GOP donor says

Gustaf Kilander
Washington, DC
Monday 27 June 2022 17:52
Comments

Powered By Pixels
Close
Related video: Trump supporters spend $30,000 on petrol to attend rallies

Get our free Inside Washington email
Email

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice
Ron Desantis sees the January 6 hearings as a possible way for former President Donald Trump to be indicted, according to a report.

A Republican consultant told Politico over the weekend: ā€œThatā€™s where his head is at. He thinks the goal here is to get main justice to go after him.ā€

ā€œThatā€™s what Ron thinks this is all about,ā€ the consultant, said to be familiar with the governorā€™s thinking, told the outlet.

But the consultant added that Mr DeSantis is more focused on winning reelection in Florida by a larger margin than the 3.2 points that Mr Trump won the state by in the 2020 election.

The governor, a strong favourite to win another term as governor later this year, is set to break state-level fundraising records in Florida.

Recommended
How paranoia over trans rights became catnip for QAnon and the far right
How paranoia over trans rights became catnip for QAnon and the far right
Trump's lasting legacy grows as Supreme Court overturns Roe
Trump's lasting legacy grows as Supreme Court overturns Roe
Morning Joe dubs Trump ā€˜Fat Elvisā€™ as poll shows DeSantis creeping ahead
Morning Joe dubs Trump ā€˜Fat Elvisā€™ as poll shows DeSantis creeping ahead
The outlet previously reported that Mr DeSantis isnā€™t intending to seek Mr Trumpā€™s endorsement for his reelection, despite him aiding his political rise.

ā€œA five-point win, and I think he would be off to the races,ā€ the consultant told Politico. ā€œJanuary 6 or not, the fact that he is not seeking Trumpā€™s endorsement I think says everything you need to know.ā€

The Independent has reached out to the office of Mr DeSantis for comment.

Republican operatives are increasingly admitting that Mr Trump is being damaged by the committee hearings, even if itā€™s not yet fatal.

While the strategists say Republican voters still like Mr Trump and donā€™t trust the committee and its findings, some voters, including some donors and activists, are growing tired and becoming less inclined to allow the legacy of the Trump presidency to make the future of the party more difficult.

GOP donor Dan Eberhart told Politico that ā€œTrump is facing an important onslaught of negative facts with these hearings and there is no real defense. He has no friendly members on the committee and there arenā€™t facts to put in front of the public to make any of this sound less badā€.

ā€œRon DeSantis is lying in wait, sharpening his knives,ā€ he added.

A DeSantis advisor told the outlet that ā€œthe January 6 hearings are [a] continuation of the exhausting circus that surrounds Trumpā€.

ā€œThere are of course the lunchbox Republicans who think this is a ā€˜mass conspiracy,ā€™ but among the donor class many are just tired of this,ā€ the advisor said. ā€œItā€™s a shitshow ā€“ Some donors are getting sick of the shitshow.ā€

Former Trump White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, who was charged with contempt last year after not complying with a subpoena from the committee, said he doesnā€™t believe the hearings are hurting Mr Trump because ā€œThe only Republicans watching, if at all, are hardcore ā€˜never Trumpersā€™ā€.

He said if Republicans take back the House, they will likely hold their own hearings to ā€œset out all the factsā€.

But Mr Trump appears to be worried about the hearings and their effect on his fortunes.

ā€œWe have nobody on that panel who can fight back,ā€ he told conservative radio host Wayne Allyn Root. ā€œIn a way, the Republicans should be ashamed of themselves.ā€

A former advisor to Mr Trump also told Politico that the former president is ā€œthinking about it optically and not politically. Optically itā€™s not great to have a committee without any pushback. Politically the base and the party are going to be with him ā€” and it might sway some moderates. He really believes that the economy is what people are going to focus onā€.

Moderate GOP strategist Sarah Longwell said she has noticed a change when she conducts focus groups.

The anti-Trump Republican said that people who have voted for the former president disagree on if he should run again and in the last two focus groups following the beginning of the hearings, no one has said that they would want Mr Trump to be on the ticket in 2024.

ā€œWith January 6 theyā€™re on Trumpā€™s side, but theyā€™re also exhausted by it. It creates that sense of wanting to move on. The question is whether that sticks. Iā€™ve seen it before when Trumpā€™s baggage is out there they get annoyed about having to defend it, they drift away and then come back,ā€ Ms Longwell told the publication.

But Trump allies think his supporters will come back to him, as they have after previous crises.

Trump pollster John McLaughlin told Politico that ā€œyouā€™re antagonizing his supporters at a time when ā€” some people are so impacted by inflation they canā€™t make ends meetā€.

ā€œIf Congress wants to focus on a partisan kangaroo court and indict a president that [his supporters] think was successful at keeping America strong and had a better economy? Theyā€™re going to revolt ā€” not a violent revolt but at the ballot box,ā€ he said.

Edit 'tried to tidy it up, one of the few sites I haven't exceed free limits it seems.

So by your logic everyone who doesnā€™t get a flu vax is anti-vax.

Thatā€™s a lot of anti-vaxxers. Over half the country!

Yes Iā€™m well aware you have no time for individual cases by how you dismiss and gaslight people whoā€™ve experienced life-changing adverse reactions from the Covid vaccine.

Just collateral damage to you, right? Just anecdotal idiots, the lot of them.

I don't see people claiming that the flu vaccine doesn't work, or that it is causing generational harm to people. Another classic Slippery move to attempt to compare completely different situations.

And then trying to use emotion to get around the fact that anecdotal evidence (often self-diagnosed) is not good evidence. It doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter how much outrage you pretend to have. That is a fact.

Aside from the fact this is a politics thread, and LBGTwhatever is a political issueā€¦ My priorities are always to put children first, whether itā€™s safeguarding them from some psycho Adelaide mother, groomers who want to chemically castrate them (not naming any names mateā€¦) or governments who want to mask them and lock them in their homes for two years.

If child welfare was actually your primary concern here, I have to say Iā€™d expect a little more variety, maybe occasionally throwing an opposite-sex couple story into your daily rants on the subject.

But it is the gold standard all other things being equal. Do you not agree?

Take your time on that question. Itā€™ll be a hard one for you, I know.

^Good article covering the literature including a few systematic reviews on the subject.

"This research supports the importance of family stability, quality relationships between parents and children, and the need for access to socioeconomic resources ā€“ but not the need for parents to be heterosexual."

As I said, good parents are good parents and bad parents are bad parents wherever you sit on the sexuality spectrum.

All else being equal, there's currently no evidence that children raised by same-sex couples fare worse than children raised by opposite-sex couples on a range of social, emotional, health and academic outcomes. I do think it's important that kids have positive male and female role models but this doesn't necessarily need to be provided by the parents. Clearly in some families (same sex and opposite sex couples alike) the parents are terrible role models for a variety of reasons. Grandparents, uncles, aunties etc all have important roles to play here.

The only negative impacts on health and wellbeing among kids of same sex parents reported across any of these studies were related to the discrimination they receive from bigoted dickheads who for some bizarre reason are triggered into a frenzy by the mere existence of these people. Something to think about.

The point being discussed was Trump going to jail: #5,094

Vader said:

"Given that Cohen has already been charged, pleaded guilty, and been sent to prison, there is very little doubt that a similar fate (barring the guilty plea) awaits Trump as soon as he is no longer President."

That clearly didn't happen. Trump is not in prison.
The DOJ's failure to charge & prosecute him for that case, where his co-conspirators have already served time, is completely inexplicable. All I can put it down to is optics - not wanting to charge an ex-President.

The DOJ's failure to charge & prosecute him for that case, where his co-conspirators have already served time, is completely inexplicable. All I can put it down to is optics - not wanting to charge an ex-President.
I think you need to give it time.

If De Santis smells blood, someone is surely injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back