Banter The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 2 (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every decision was a risk assessment. If cannot drink standing, there would be less people in close vicinity, and people would be more likely to stay seated in their own groups, rather than walking around and increasing the chance of spread. It is literally a numbers game, and the line had to be drawn somewhere, and that is one of the places the line was drawn.

Exactly.

There was no clinical evidence behind it, no studies used to justify it, nothing about it any pandemic plan… it was literally just the on-the-run “risk assessment“ whims of a health department public servant who saw fit to send businesses to the wall.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

When you get out of diapers and understand how the world and the public sector works, you will understand just how silly your defence of this is, and just how ridiculous the people who make these decisions are. You will be really embarrassed.

You will say, “that Gen Y Slippery Pete dude who used to tease me about trolleys, he was right all along.”

You’re welcome, lad.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is that cherry-picked? You literally made the statement that if someone says the science is settled, you should be sceptical.

If you are now saying that only applies when you want it to, THAT is cherry-picking.

Nice own goal dh.

Science does evolve, I agree. But if your view is that nothing can ever be taken to be accepted ever, despite mountains of evidence supporting the conclusion, and you need to deny everything that has been proven by science, what do you believe?

You are taking scientific method and applying only a fraction of the concept to suit your narrative. That's not how science works.
Its simple. Describe how the science is settled in the examples I put up..and there are literally thousands and thousands and thousands of other examples that could be used in lieu of.

Maybe the question that goes to people that say the science is settled is - prove it and if you can't prove it in every example all the time, then its right to be sceptical of someone that says the science is settled because its never a true statement at all times in and of itself

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly.

There was no clinical evidence behind it, no studies used to justify it, nothing about it any pandemic plan… it was literally just the on-the-run “risk assessment“ whims of a health department public servant who saw fit to send businesses to the wall.

When you get out of diapers and understand how the world and the public sector works, you will understand just how silly your defence of this is, and just how ridiculous the people who make these decisions are. You will be really embarrassed.

You will say, “that Gen Y Slippery Pete dude who used to tease me about trolleys, he was right all along.”

You’re welcome, lad.
He is using the old wet thumb in the air - which way is the wind blowing scientific defense.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
the forever excuse, "there's no manual for this". ******* dead$h!t public servants. It's impossible to do a risk assessment that identifies the likelihood of outbreak coming from the workers that are actually in the vicinity of the people known to be infected. Nope, until it happens, a public servant couldn't possibly predict that it was possible.

That's the type of people that led our response.
And it was a total lie. There were pandemic plans and every single one did not recommend lockdowns as they were either ineffective or came with costs that far outweighed the benefits. They were ignored by panicking leaders and the chickens have come home to roost.

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Exactly.

You’re welcome, lad.

You self aggrandising idiot.

Where did I say that I agreed 100% with decisions made about restrictions etc? I was explaining the reasoning behind the decision, because your level of analysis was 'They thought you were more likely to get the virus if you are standing!'.

And it's funny that now you now think science and studies are important, when you dismiss them when they conclusively disagree with your agenda.

Also hilarious that you need to point out that you're a millennial completely out of context and in some weird generational flex - despite the fact that I am also a millennial. Get off your high horse dh.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
What evidence is there that allowing large, uncontrolled outbreaks led to better outcomes for business owners and at a macroeconomic level than Australia's elimination centred approach pre-vaccine rollout?
That "you should risk death for the economy" messaging was an own goal for conservative politicians everywhere. What did they expect given their voter demographic?

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
That "you should risk death for the economy" messaging was an own goal for conservative politicians everywhere. What did they expect given their voter demographic?

Yes, pitching the trade off as either "control COVID-19" or "save the economy" was flawed logic with no basis in theory or in reality.

As reported across a number of studies, there is a strong positive correlation between successful control of COVID-19 pre-vaccine rollout and positive economic outcomes.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
And it was a total lie. There were pandemic plans and every single one did not recommend lockdowns as they were either ineffective or came with costs that far outweighed the benefits. They were ignored by panicking leaders and the chickens have come home to roost.

They didn’t panic at all man, come on.

1660876528851.jpeg

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
What evidence is there that allowing large, uncontrolled outbreaks led to better outcomes for business owners and at a macroeconomic level than Australia's elimination centred approach pre-vaccine rollout?

They would be no evidence.

If we had a massive breakout before vaccines, people would have stayed home (they would have assessed the risk as too high), businesses would have shut their doors as would have no customers.

The anti-vaxxers like SP are trying to rewrite history.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
They would be no evidence.

If we had a massive breakout before vaccines, people would have stayed home (they would have assessed the risk as too high), businesses would have shut their doors as would have no customers.

The anti-vaxxers like SP are trying to rewrite history.

Flog Morrison’s one act of evil genius was getting you blokes to extol the virtues of this country’s coronavirus response.

I can’t stand the bloke but based on this, he’s still smarter than all of you.

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Vader was right, then trump has been in prison. How can you seriously read his post and conclude he was right? I know you can miss points by a fair way, but surely you can't seriously contort your thinking that somehow Vader being right isn't entirely connected to whether trump actually went to prison after not being president.
In fairness to Cap, there is another context in which Trump might be "in handcuffs."

It's not front of mind for me, but I'm pretty sure I live a less interesting life than some others posting here. Maybe Cap thought you were referring to a b&d situation, and it just didn't cross his mind that some of us use "being in handcuffs" as a way of describing someone being under arrest? If that's the case, some of us – me included – owe him an apology.

Sweden's economy suffered far more than their Scandinavian neighbours... who were forced to shut their boarders with Sweden for a while.

I think will can universally say that SmoCo is the worst PM ever.
He is certainly the ex-PM who is the shitest character.

I didn't agree with much of Abbott, but at least he was reasonably trustworthy & not a s**t human being.

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sweden's economy suffered far more than their Scandinavian neighbours... who were forced to shut their boarders with Sweden for a while.
Statistics Norway reported on 26 April 2022:

"A key find in the previous report was that the Scandinavian economies were quite similarly impacted by the pandemic, independent of infection control strategies. We thus found that the effect of different measures was of less importance compared with the consequences the pandemic triggered regardless. Broadly speaking, this conclusion has not changed. National Accounts figures for 2020 for Mainland Norway, Sweden and Denmark all show an annual decline between 2-3 per cent. By the 3rd quarter of 2021 all three countries had recovered to a level around 2 per cent higher than before the pandemic. We find some differences when looking at detailed industries and the course of the pandemic, which might be caused by different strategies for handling the pandemic and differences in the economic structure of the three countries. Economic developments in Scandinavia are, however, strikingly similar throughout the pandemic, in comparison with other countries.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
If Vader was right, then trump has been in prison. How can you seriously read his post and conclude he was right? I know you can miss points by a fair way, but surely you can't seriously contort your thinking that somehow Vader being right isn't entirely connected to whether trump actually went to prison after not being president.
He's literally under a number of court cases that could end him in jail.

But sure, Vader is wrong, he isn't in jail yet .

Really doesn't worry me, that wasn't the point of the tedious discussion

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
In fairness to Cap, there is another context in which Trump might be "in handcuffs."

It's not front of mind for me, but I'm pretty sure I live a less interesting life than some others posting here. Maybe Cap thought you were referring to a b&d situation, and it just didn't cross his mind that some of us use "being in handcuffs" as a way of describing someone being under arrest? If that's the case, some of us – me included – owe him an apology.
In fairness to me in dealing with someone who complains about focusing on words when discussing what was and wasn't said.

Maybe stop with the low value posting, it's tedious.

Last edited:

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Flog Morrison’s one act of evil genius was getting you blokes to extol the virtues of this country’s coronavirus response.

I can’t stand the bloke but based on this, he’s still smarter than all of you.

You're conflating comparison of Australia's COVID response against:
  1. your fictional fantasy scenario that literally no country in the world achieved; and
  2. the reality of what the rest of the world actually experienced.
You continue to live in fairyland in your assessment of how applying your alternative approach would have actually played out in 2020.

Not to say that border closures, lockdowns and other elements of the COVID response didn't have negative impacts, but like I've said, Australia took the least worst of a suite of very bad options on the table during 2020-21, and in doing so minimised the damage here to an extent while waiting for vaccines to arrive.

One way or another like every single country on earth we were eating a s**t sandwich. Out of touch with reality as you are, you seem to think we could've avoided this entirely, I don't.

I'm happy to let you have another swing at the question though - which countries do you think achieved a significantly better balance of preventing death and illness while mitigating economic impacts than Australia? What evidence do you have to support this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back